Announcing the new NJPB Maps

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
On NJPB Maps you can get the Satellite view, but not the older date aerial views. At one time today, you couldn't get aerial view on Google Maps, but now you can.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I just randomly picked a place in Omaha Nebraska and my maps are working. I have no cache there.

Sorry, but you clearly didn't read my post. There's no problem with Google Maps, I specifically said they are working. It's the NJGIN servers that are down.

This includes almost everying on the NJPB maps menu, the only things currently working are Google Maps, the Topo (from ArcGIS) and my old LIDAR map

At one time today, you couldn't get aerial view on Google Maps, but now you can.

I didn't notice any problem with Google maps. If there was one, then it's not related to what I have described. Anyway, the NJGIN servers are still down and all of those maps are still unavailable. NJGIN has a Twitter (X?) account but I can't view it since I'm not a member (and never will be, LOL). If you have access, this is their account. Maybe something is posted there?

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry, but you clearly didn't read my post. There's no problem with Google Maps, I specifically said they are working. It's the NJGIN servers that are down.
I did read it clearly. Everything on Ben's maps worked properly for me all day.
Just to be clear, all of these maps except "Topo" will be affected by this:
I was able to use every year map and they worked. Simple as that.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
OK, cool. Sorry, the examples you posted were from Google. But that is not what I experienced however, and apparently Rooftree had the same issue. Also the "isitdownrightnow" site confirmed that NJGIN servers were not reachable. But I'll admit, the internet is a strange place and Comcast (or whoever) might have a good connection to NJGIN but Verizon and AT&T do not.

Anyway, I still cannot get any NJGIN maps to work with either Verizon or AT&T internet.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's a little more info. NJGIN has a status page here.

Nothing appears useful there, however, click the link under REST Services. That is (basically) the homepage for their map servers.

I get an error that the connection was unexpectedly dropped when I do that, which is the same error the actual maps were throwing. I then copied/pasted that link into the isitdownrightnow website. It currently shows that maps.nj.gov is down for everybody, not just me. Here's a link

Screen Shot 2023-08-20 at 8.23.10 PM.png

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

I didn't notice any problem with Google maps. If there was one, then it's not related to what I have described. Anyway, the NJGIN servers are still down and all of those maps are still unavailable. NJGIN has a Twitter (X?) account but I can't view it since I'm not a member (and never will be, LOL). If you have access, this is their account. Maybe something is posted there?

This is the last thing they posted on twitter.

1692581896847.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Back online again! :dance:

This was just posted on NJGIN's website

"Users may experience issues accessing NJOGIS services & applications this morning. NJOGIS is aware of the issue and is currently working to fix the problem. An update will go out once all services are restored."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, very slow. This outage annoyed me because I was just one day into a multi-day download of full-resolution aerials. Now that it's working again, I resumed my download but after an hour there were so many errors and it was so slow that I just bailed. I can get the same thing from their files on Amazon AWS, so I'll just give up and try that instead. Downside is that I will end up with bigger files that take much more processing after downloading.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's working, but loading very slowly this morning. I have been downloading aerials from NJGIN all week and it's been rather slow, but still workable. This morning, I left the download running for about 4 hours while I was doing errands. There were over 2,000 unrecoverable errors when I returned, so I had to kill the download. Does not bode well for the weekend... :bang:

Last edited:
Reactions: 66C10

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
Boyd, what are the new aerials we’re getting if you want to spoil the surprise? I’m excited your maps are AWESOME. I’m constantly using the LIDARs since discovering them(usually on Boydmaps.com).

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Thanks! But these aren't anything new, they're just the same 2012 aerials you can already access from NJGIN. I'm downloading the full-resolution (1 foot/pixel) map tiles to use with my offline maps. Not sure of the size yet, but I think it will be around 5 million tiles and 200gb. This makes it practical to include on a 1tb SD card along with other maps of the Pines. But I'm not going to put it on my internet server because disk space is very expensive there and we already have the NJGIN version for free.

We'll see how things go, but I'm thinking of a "boydsmaps pro" that you could purchase on an SD card for Android phones and tablets. It would contain comprehensive maps of the Pines and work without any internet connection or data plan. As a bonus, it would also feature a "pro" version of the boydsmaps app and maybe enhanced LIDAR maps at twice the resolution of the current online maps.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thanks! But these aren't anything new, they're just the same 2012 aerials you can already access from NJGIN. I'm downloading the full-resolution (1 foot/pixel) map tiles to use with my offline maps. Not sure of the size yet, but I think it will be around 5 million tiles and 200gb. This makes it practical to include on a 1tb SD card along with other maps of the Pines. But I'm not going to put it on my internet server because disk space is very expensive there and we already have the NJGIN version for free.

We'll see how things go, but I'm thinking of a "boydsmaps pro" that you could purchase on an SD card for Android phones and tablets. It would contain comprehensive maps of the Pines and work without any internet connection or data plan. As a bonus, it would also feature a "pro" version of the boydsmaps app and maybe enhanced LIDAR maps at twice the resolution of the current online maps.
Is a Kindle Fire considered and Android Tablet? My phone is Apple:-(

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
My understanding is that they run a customized version of Android. Your version would depends on which Kindle Fire you have, see:

According to that link, the oldest version of FireOS is based on Android 5. I am able to run the app on my old Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android 4. So, theoretically, it should work unless Amazon does somethiing weird on their tablets.

It will be a little while before any of this happens however. I'm using it now myself, but it's still unfinished code. When (if?) I get farther along, I'll offer a small (2gb?) downloadable preview version of the offline maps that only covers a small area.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My understanding is that they run a customized version of Android. Your version would depends on which Kindle Fire you have, see:

According to that link, the oldest version of FireOS is based on Android 5. I am able to run the app on my old Samsung Galaxy Tab with Android 4. So, theoretically, it should work unless Amazon does somethiing weird on their tablets.

It will be a little while before any of this happens however. I'm using it now myself, but it's still unfinished code. When (if?) I get farther along, I'll offer a small (2gb?) downloadable preview version of the offline maps that only covers a small area.
I"d prefer it on Kindle anyway.Much bigger screen and the Kindle has a GPS antenna.

Reactions: 66C10 and Boyd

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
  • Love
Reactions: manumuskin