Announcing the new NJPB Maps

Discussion in 'Site News & Games' started by Ben Ruset, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator

https://developers.google.com/maps/billing/important-updates

We’ve moved the effective date of our new pricing, and the $200 free monthly credit, to July 16th. We’re launching the new Maps, Routes and Places functionality on June 11th. To provide you with an additional month of lead time, our new terms and pricing won’t go into effect until July 16th. Please take advantage of this time to try the new features and familiarize yourself with how billing will work.

Starting June 11th
    We will enforce the use of API keys beginning on June 11th. Keyless usage will result in a degraded experience, or an error. See the Guide for Existing Users for details.

2. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

Getting close

3. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

Chances are this may be the end of NJPB Maps, sad to say. I'll see if I can get it working with something that isn't google or see if the current usage won't go over their $200 credit, but potentially someone malicious could request their API a million times (using a script) and max out my credit card. I'd have to see if there's some protection against that.

4. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

I hope it does not have to go.

5. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

Well, the ultimate goal of mine is for it not to go.

RednekF350 and Teegate like this.
  6. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator

I think they have an option of sending you a warning when usage approaches the $200 credit. But yes, it would be worrisome that someone could rack up a whole lot of hits with some automatic tile-scraping setup.

Two more weeks until the new system is enforced...

7. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

So it turns out that they actually do have a way for you to set limits. I signed up for an API key (and gave them my credit card.) Looking at my web logs it seems like my usage will be way way way less than the 25k/day limit they have. For some reason I thought they set the limit to 25k/month.

So idk we might be ok? I can at least watch the metrics for the api requests and see where it goes.

bobpbx, Teegate and Jon Holcombe like this.
  8. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

Very nice Ben. Thank you for keeping us informed.

9. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator

That's great Ben, hope it works out!

Speaking of maps, I was just looking and there are a few more NJGIN layers that would be worth adding if you find the time. Note: do not click on the links below. They will not work in your web browser, they are configuration data that is used for NJPB maps

2017 aerials
    https://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/Natural2017?

I think these are from NAIP (National Agriculture Imagery Program), they are only one meter resolution so they show less detail than the other one foot resolution imagery, and they were shot in the summer to show the foliage. I believe NJGIN puts these online just to have some current imagery, and then later they will replace them with the regular one foot imagery that is shot during the winter. This is what has happened over the past few years in any case.

1970 NJDEP Wetlands Basemap
    https://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/BlackWhite1970?

This and the following are real gems that I somehow missed in the past. Vintage black and white aerial imagery from 1970 that is very clear - looks good at level 19 zoom. The coverage is limited, since it only shows wetlands, but the parts I've seen look very nice. Here's the coverage

1970coverage.png

And here is an example of the full resolution imagery at zoom level 19

1970.png

1977 Tidelands Basemaps
    https://geodata.state.nj.us/imagerywms/BlackWhite1977?

Same kind of thing as the 1970 imagery - very clear black and white aerials from 1977. I looked at my own road and was surprised to see several old buildings that don't appear on the Historic Aerials site.

Here's the coverage.

1977coverage.png

And this is a full resolution example of the 1977 imagery at level 19

1977.png

For all those who are using Mobile Atlas Creator - I will soon publish a small file that can be used to access all the current NJGIN mapsources in MOBAC and make your own maps from them.

#149 Boyd, Jul 23, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
    manumuskin and 46er like this.
  10. Boyd

Boyd Super Moderator

manumuskin likes this.