Another 5AM outing

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I enjoyed going out last week at 5AM so I did it again today. On my way down route 70 near the hub cap place there was a raccoon running right down the road while being dive bombed by a bird. It was so concerned about that it did not see me until I had stopped. I am mentioning this because just yesterday Jessica and I rounded a curve near Quaker Bridge and there was one just sitting in the road in front of us. That one was slow to move though. The one this morning turned toward my car after the below photo was taken and was ready to attack. It eventually ran behind my car back across the road, It was not happy.

IMG_0185.JPG

It was foggy along the bogs and on Carranza Road at Friendship.

IMG_0188.JPG

Loaded with them.

IMG_0198.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0192.jpg

I traveled quite a bit in that area before heading back towards my car. This photo show yours truly with steamed up glasses, and a pine fly on my head, just after reaching a road. This was before 7AM.

IMG_0199.JPG

Then to the yellow orchids. They are just starting to bloom which you can see on the right in the far back.

IMG_0203.jpg

This one has a problem. I noticed that on the left side there is an odd bug that was hanging around. I am wondering if it somehow killed it???

IMG_0206.JPG

Even though they have mellowed I still see them around.

IMG_0209.jpg

This little one was very accommodating. It was not until I hit it with my camera did it fly away.

IMG_0212a.jpg

Guy

Reactions: JersyDeb and John

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It was a nice morning to be up and out early. The Yellow Fringed orchid looks like fungus attacked it.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy what kind of flowers are pics four and five? You look like I did that day out toward west jersey cranberry bogs in the heat.we were looking for a stone and I found a black rat snake.We crossed a big bush swamp and it was hot as hell.It was hot as hell today also.I took a walk before swimming and went up to the bear poo island.i was walking maybe 20 minutes.by the time I got back to the family at the beach i looked as bad as you do in that pic.The water felt great,ice cold!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd....I think the reason I look distressed is I was trying to see with bifocals. My head is tilted up trying to determine if the camera is pointing properly. The foggy glasses are hampering that.

Al.....I have no idea what these plants are. I just like trying to take macro shots of them. I was planning on determining what they are later tonight. I usually use Mike Bakers site for that

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Liatris graminifolia

I think the pink flower might be this? The ones i find seem to be more purple without the little flat pieces on the end of the tendrils.
another name seems to be Liatris pilosa
also grass leaved blazing star

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree with the damselfly but I believe it is not the pink one. You most likely are correct with the white one.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a tall stalk with that at the top. Nothing else.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
it's similar to sclerolepis but thats not it.I give up.I've checked petersons field guide to wildflowers.I've checked howard boyds wildflower guide.I've checked mike bakers website and numerous others. I thinks it's another invasive.Thats why the invasive folks are getting rid of all of them! They confuse people!

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I'm thinking some form of sedge or rush for the pink flower.

- It is the bristles mixed in with the anthers to why I am thinking it is one of these, plus no nodes.