Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
002.JPG Big Hint

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
cotton grass is a sedge according to what I'm reading and as Tom says it is a sedge but called a grass but that pic Guy took looks like no cotton grass I have seen.We have a lot of cotton grass in bogs down here,I have never seen pink cotton grass???

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I researched anthesis and it appears to be when a flower is in heat,correct? My female Lab gets like that every six months.I say the flower is much more attractive:) That explains all those anthers hanging all over the place when they are not in any of the photos I found.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
just found this.got to hit the hay now because I'm working days this week.I will get on assignment tomorrow evening. either sedge or rush.I'd say sedge but can't tell if it's three sided from here.I'll get on it tomorrow,

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Cyperus grayii ?
the fruiting heads (I think they are) appear to be grayii but the way the smaller leaves attach to the stem look like three way sedge Dulichium arundinaceum but I have seen three way sedge before and I don't think that is it.I stick with Gray's Cyperus

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
am looking for good ID websites.some western states have good sites but I see none for NJ.I have Boyd's guide to the barrens and have gone through that.His wildflower guide has no sedges since it is a wildflower guide the same reason petersons wildflower guide has no sedges...I'm going to go through Boyds barrens guide again species by species. I hope I don't end up "Crying Oji"?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Al, Mikebaker.com has Russell Juelgs plant list of the Pine Barrens and surrounding area, this will shorten the list to what is local.