another barren night

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Have you made this mistake Guy? I handled a PBTF once and then rubbed my eye.I quite quickly became a groveling idiot with his face buried in swamp water shrieking like a banshee across the Barrens.Might have even started some jersey devil stories with my squalls.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Have you made this mistake Guy? I handled a PBTF once and then rubbed my eye.I quite quickly became a groveling idiot with his face buried in swamp water shrieking like a banshee across the Barrens.Might have even started some jersey devil stories with my squalls.

No, I was refering to you doing it.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Back in June, 2011, it was reported that green treefrogs had successfully manned a boat and settled in Southern New Jersey. The wind of those sails blew this way, but we didn't exactly hop into action to have a look to see for ourselves. Last Thursday evening, Alfalfa and Mrs. Alfalfa finally headed to the hinterlands in Salem County and would report to yers truly the same night that, indeed, the treefrogs had landed.

So Alfalfa, my nephew and I went out Sunday to see if we could get a wanker to pose.

The bridge across Alloway Creek on the closed New Bridge Road. Find this bridge, you'll hear treefrogs.

Pre-dusk leg stretcher

Time to get down and dirty!

The posers:

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My favorite moment was when I jammed my head between two of them that were about 18 inches apart.I haed one blasting in each ear. It was stereo! Second favorite moment was Bills roll down hill and almost dumping in the creek.Then I realized he had his camera and it suddenly wasn't funny anymore:)

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Great photos. I sure do miss that place.

Frogs: I remember camping out by Bamber Lake one summer night - we slept in the car actually - 1970 I think - 44 years ago - the croaking of the frogs was so loud - I don't think you can hear it like that anyplace any more - the world amphibian population has crashed - it sounded like Jurassic Park - or maybe even Cretaceous Park!

Last edited:

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Excellent Bill!

What type of tree?
No idea, Bob. Maybe Alfie would know. We were beaming our way through brush and briar. Alfie had been home in his pajamas when his phone rang. The guy on the other end was ecstatic, insisting he dress and drive his way to the bog. I've been slogging through spring swamps for years, but last night's song and dance was the best I've seen or heard.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Bob
I can't be sure without going back and checking but the area that video was taken has an awful lot of Sweet Gum,andred maple saplings coming up and cedar interspersed in the wetter areas.Thats definitely not a cedar,I remember it was a deciduous tree and it doesn't appear to be maple either.As an educated guess I"d say it's a sweet gum.It had that look to it as I was watching Bill take the video.The silhouette of the tree was gum like,no leaves on it yet and the area was pretty wet for oak and it did not have the shape of an oak.Scott is a tree bark expert.How bout it Scott? I say sweet gum without going back for an ID.Does the bark look right to you?