another barren night

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton

I recorded this tonight (May 16) near the Bear Swamp in Cumberland County. It's edited down from an hour-length take. The bog is quite spectacular. The first sound you'll hear on the file should be a Green Frog (gulp!) and then the trill of the Northern Gray Tree Frog. There was one peeper left in the bog ... poor guy hasn't scored yet. If I had set up the equipment earlier I would have captured a nice dusk transition (peewees, towhees, mourning doves), but an onslaught of McPhee's fifty billion mosquitoes had to be dealt with. The stars of this bog turned out to be the Leopard Frogs and Pine Barrens Tree Frogs. Several times during the night it sounded like they were competing. I preserved one such noise match for this mp3 -- the final chorus I stole of the night (which starts at about the six minute mark.) This recording is nothing like being there. Headphones help.

Frog on.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
This is one of yer best! Not only did I hear an assortment of frogs and the whipoorwill but I think I heard a whipoorbill too about a third of the way through.I have downloaded this and think I may have the Audacity to Ackermanize this MP3 clip.This is great.Doesn't take up space on the site but everyone can still hear it.
This Tindeck,is it like Napster,morpheus and Kazaa? or is it only for music or recordings created by the person putting it on?No copyrighted stuff?I take it thats what their phrase original music means?
Al

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
This is one of yer best! Not only did I hear an assortment of frogs and the whipoorwill but I think I heard a whipoorbill too about a third of the way through.I have downloaded this and think I may have the Audacity to Ackermanize this MP3 clip.This is great.Doesn't take up space on the site but everyone can still hear it.
This Tindeck,is it like Napster,morpheus and Kazaa? or is it only for music or recordings created by the person putting it on?No copyrighted stuff?I take it thats what their phrase original music means?
Al

Alfalfa,

I think Tindeck is a site designed for musicians to display their original work. I'm guessing copyrights are still in effect.

That "whip" noise yer hearing in the recording might be me ... but I doubt it. Often times something curious will drift by, sniff my gear, pee on it, etc. I was far away during most of the recording.

Think I'll be replacing that most-recently posted recording link when I get a chance. Oh, not that anybody probably cares -- it hasn't gotten that many listens -- but whomever wants it for his or her mp3 player or whatever should download it while they can. After a few listens of my own, I'm thinking I over-amplified the posted recording and I know I can do a better job with the edit overall from the material captured. It needs more whips. :)

Whip

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_3301.jpg

Northern Gray Treefrog

The gravel-pit frog site in Belleplain was swarming with Northern Gray Treefrogs tonight. For oddballs like myself who are crazy about frogs, it's rather amazing revisiting bogs -- from day to day, or year to year -- and taking in the often surprising cast of characters. Previous years' mid-May "aural" journeys to this spot sounded nothing like tonight's. The Grays were deafening. I'd love to share a recording, but the weather was wet and I didn't chance an equipment setup. Maybe I'll get another opportunity this season, but time is running out.

IMG_3287.jpg

IMG_3322.jpg

Northern Gray Treefrog

...and here's a whipped-up Peeper from a previous visit to the same location.

IMG_2493.jpg

Thx 4 lookin'!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way norther greys and southern greys are indistinguishable by sight but like Americans are distinguishable by sight only unlike people I prefer the northerns song though the southern song excites me more since their much more rare here and less likely to be happened upon.
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Love those grays, Whip! I've heard them call but have never ever seen a real one (Elliott's don't count). The way the second one has narrowed his eyes, I can almost hear him mumbling, "Can't ya give a guy some privacy?" It must have been quite an experience to be there with hundreds of them trilling--thanks for sharing with us.

I like the whipped-up peeper too--the "cruicifer" marking on his back shows up in fine relief.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
There was a nice moon scattering and threading its light. Off in the distance a barred owl repeatedly inquired, "Whip! Who cooks for you?!?" And there was a single wonker that I was bound and determined to find. It took me over an hour, bog hopping, doing 360s around trees, peering onto limbs. I know the bugger's around here somewhere! He's barely an inch long, maybe the size of my thumb.

Beauty comes in small packages.

pbtfac.jpg

pbtfaf.jpg

pbtfah.jpg

pbtfad.jpg

pbtfae.jpg

pbtfab.jpg

Discovering Tree Frogs

Whip:

Here is a recounting of the identifying of tree frogs in the Pine Barrens:

From The American Naturalist, Vol. 38, November-December 1904, Page 893.

HYLA ANDERSONII AND RANA VIRGATIPES AT LAKEHURST, NEW JERSEY.

WILLIAM T. DAVIS.

On the 5th of last September while looking for insects near a swamp at Lakehurst in the pine barrens of New Jersey, the writer was fortunate in finding a specimen of the rare tree frog Hyla andcrsonii Baird. The frog was in a small oak tree standing but a few feet from the swamp. At the time Cope's work on “The Batrachia of North America” was published in 1889, but three specimens had been recorded, namely the type from Anderson, South Carolina; the one collected at Jackson, Camden Co., New Jersey, in 1863 by Leidy, and the third example found by Dr. John E. Peters at May's Landing, Atlantic Co., New Jersey on June first, 1888. A record of this last is to be found in the American Naturalist for January, 1889. In the American Naturalist for December, 1894, J. P. Moore gives an account of two of these tree frogs collected in June, 1889, at Pleasant Mills, New Jersey, and of the many others heard at the time. The frogs, however, disappeared shortly and no others could be found on subsequent visits to the locality. Lakehurst is considerably farther North than the three New Jersey stations mentioned above. It may be well to mention at this time that Rana virgatipes Cope, is also to be found at Lakehurst. The species was originally described from Cape May County, New Jersey.

According to Cope, in Hyla andersonii, “The green of the back and extremities is everywhere margined with pure white, except posteriorly on the femur and tibia, and anteriorly on the former where saffron takes its place.” My living specimen, however, differs from this description and the colored figure, by having the band of pure white extend along the end of the body and a short distance on the posterior margin of each femur.

NEW BRIGHTON, STATEN ISLAND, N. Y.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jerseyman
Cope's has a treefrog named after himas well.Cope's grey treefrog (Hylachrysocelis) also known as the Southern Grey Treefrog which is listed as "state endangered as is the Pine Barrens treefrog (Hyla andersoni)
the Norther Grey's whip recorde this year are much more common.He did get the southerns at a location in cape may county.These two species are indistinguishable by sight the northern has basically the same call only sped up quite a bit which makes it sound more like a buzz then a trill.
Al

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What a stunning series, Whip!

To start with, you can tell he's paused to compose another wonk-verse for his song.

Of course he has to turn a cold shoulder so he can think--don't take it personally.

Finally he's ready, his throat beginning to swell with new ardor,

. . . and his song, his best beautiful wonking song,
fills the whole moonlit bog

At the last, (alas), a poignant moment. He's sung his heart out.
Now he's waiting . . . hoping . . . longing for her to hop close and whisper sweet nothings into his tympanic membrane.

. . . Sigh . . .

Glo

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Funniest thing . . . I saw these same frogs (and heard them -- what a treat) but you've given them your up-close-and-personal treatment, quite effectively! The Fowler looks perfectly villainous--I can't wait to put him into a book.

Glo

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Whip, you couldn't have chosen a more beautiful setting to showcase this most beautiful of frogs. (The textures and colors of the bark make for really cool details.) Love how you caught him in several different poses.

Looking at the way this frog is spraddle-legged on the trunk makes me wonder how they climb. Do they go straight up the tree or do they crab sideways?

Thanks for braving mosquitoes, ticks, and imminent rain to get these for us!

Glo

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com

I recorded this tonight (May 16) near the Bear Swamp in Cumberland County. It's edited down from an hour-length take. The bog is quite spectacular. The first sound you'll hear on the file should be a Green Frog (gulp!) and then the trill of the Northern Gray Tree Frog. There was one peeper left in the bog ... poor guy hasn't scored yet. If I had set up the equipment earlier I would have captured a nice dusk transition (peewees, towhees, mourning doves), but an onslaught of McPhee's fifty billion mosquitoes had to be dealt with. The stars of this bog turned out to be the Leopard Frogs and Pine Barrens Tree Frogs. Several times during the night it sounded like they were competing. I preserved one such noise match for this mp3 -- the final chorus I stole of the night (which starts at about the six minute mark.) This recording is nothing like being there. Headphones help.

Frog on.
Thanks for sharing the sounds!

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
These are photos of green frogs. National Geographic has already nastily rejected them all. You'll see why.

Anyway, I got close and personal with several green frogs this evening, and even had a run-in with a bullfrog. I came around a corner and must have startled the latter. Well, with all sorts of gear hanging off of me and a bright lamp on the top of my head, who knew what the bullfrog thought I was. The critter literally ran panic-stricken across the top of the pond for about thirty feet. It stayed under some low hanging bushes for the rest of the night, on the opposite end of the pond, staring at me. I think it was jealous at my kissing the green frogs.

There, I came out.

Too many lousy green frog photos below, I know. These froggies pretty much stay submerged and make shooting awkward and uncomfortable. They could not be lured from the water with a slice of broccoli and cheese pizza. Live and learn.

The photos were all obtained in Belleplain State Forest tonight.

IMG_0577.jpg

IMG_8347.jpg

IMG_8356.jpg

IMG_8411_Paintingb.jpg

I like this guy best.

IMG_8425.jpg

IMG_8433.jpg

gulp.