Bamber Hunting Lodge

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
My family remembers a hunting lodge located in Bamber,NJ. Operated by brother and sister Rebecca and Henry Taylor. Does anyone have information about this Lodge from the late 1800's or early 1900's.

Thank you
Marcia Stoetzel

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My family remembers a hunting lodge located in Bamber,NJ. Operated by brother and sister Rebecca and Henry Taylor. Does anyone have information about this Lodge from the late 1800's or early 1900's.

Thank you
Marcia Stoetzel

That is the first I've heard of it Marcia. I live in Bamber and there was an old wooden building behind my house that is long gone, but it was not that big, I doubt it could be that. Now you have piqued my interest.

Folks:

This thread provides a great opportunity to tell you I stopped in to see Marilyn Schmidt this past Sunday at Buzby’s Store in Chatsworth. During our conversation, she told me of her current project: she is preparing a book about all the hunting clubs in the Pines. I think she indicated her initial list comprised about 150 clubs, but she is definitely looking for more!

Unfortunately, I do not have an email address for her, but perhaps someone else here on the forums can provide it. Otherwise, stop in to see her or give her a telephone call (609-894-1405) and tell her about the clubs of which you have knowledge. If she is not there, just leave her a message.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Folks:

This thread provides a great opportunity to tell you I stopped in to see Marilyn Schmidt this past Sunday at Buzby’s Store in Chatsworth. During our conversation, she told me of her current project: she is preparing a book about all the hunting clubs in the Pines. I think she indicated her initial list comprised about 150 clubs, but she is definitely looking for more!

Unfortunately, I do not have an email address for her, but perhaps someone else here on the forums can provide it. Otherwise, stop in to see her or give her a telephone call (609-894-1405) and tell her about the clubs of which you have knowledge. If she is not there, just leave her a message.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thats very cool Jerseyman.

I have decided to do one on deer stands also. I estimate that about 18,000 pages will cover it, but only the years from 1900 to 1930. I plan a second edition after that.

:D

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
I have a picture of Tom and Rebecca Collins (I gave the wrong names last posting) at the Bamber Hunting Lodge. I will get in touch with the lady doing the project on Hunting Lodges. I will try to date my photo'

Marcia

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here's some clues. This is a hand-drawn map from 1910 by Mr. Britton:

watermark.php

And the 1833 topo. You can see the name Collins on both of these.

watermark.php

Zeb might be buried in the old cemetary off Dover road.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
PS: I don't like calling this village "Bamber Lake" anymore. It is incorrect. The lake is just Bamber Lake, a part of Bamber. You can see that Britton titled his map "Bamber".

Marcia Stoetzel

Feb 11, 2009
I have the photo and would be happy to include it . Just have to figure out how . Or give me an address to email it to
Marcia

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Zeb might be buried in the old cemetary off Dover road.

Correct.

Beck, Jersey Genesis, Page 178:

"Once we found the grave of Zebulon Collins at Ten Mile Hollow and wondered if he had been the Zeb of Zeb's Bridge, over beyond Keswick."

Zeb Collins was probably the founder of [what is now known as] Eureka Gun Club. Most likely he was the husband of Tilly Collins. Check out page 179. I'm willing to bet that the Collins you see marked on the map (the Gordon one) is either a mistake and supposed to be where Eureka is -or- is the Collins homestead.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
M. Schmidt

Folks:

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Try this e-maill address for Marilyn Schmidt, it is through the Barnegat Light Press;
PBP@verizon.net
http://www.themoose.com/barnegat/blpress.html
This is the Barnegat light press website.
The times that I spoke to her she never mentioned a personal e-mail address.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Zeb Collins was probably the founder of [what is now known as] Eureka Gun Club.

And I have that survey map of that location that tells exactly where his house was, but they have the first name different.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is one. This one does not give distance from the house. Notice the last name spelled wrong. It is pointing to Blacks Bridge but the house was just NW of it. There is other info on the map we won't discuss :)

zc.jpg

I'll look for the other one.

Guy