Barrens of fire

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I looks like they climbed the fire tower and took those photo's. Most likely Apple Pie.

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
The 6:00 p.m. news says up to 5,000 acres,hopefully it will be contained in a short amount of time,a flare started it from a low flying F-16,with a very high fire threat,amazing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I remember a few years ago there was a big fire in the Bass River State Forest (IIRC) which the military finally acknowledged was started by an "errant bomb"...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Here's another article: http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates/2007/05/huge_wildfire_burning_in_south.html

Elaine Makatura, spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection, said the fire started in the Warren Grove area of Stafford Township around 2:15 p.m. and burned 2,500 acres by 4:30 p.m.
Bert Plante, a division fire warden for the New Jersey Forest Fire Service, said thousands more acres were likely to burn before the fire was out. "It's going to be larger. It has great potential to be much larger," Plante told The Associated Press.

Oct 25, 2006
What a shame,well the government did not pay up for the bear swamp hill tower being taken out,i guess it will be the same in this case.I wonder where they are getting their water source from.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was going to hit parker preserve tomorrow is this close to the fire? I'm not super familar with that area.

No...this fire is all the way down 72 and then you would have to head south on 539 for about 5 miles. It is near Warren Grove.

You will be fine unless there is another fire.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I know after that fire is out I'm going to check out the area. Pine snakes should like freshly burned forest. I kind of want to check the area out I would think around the perimeter of the area many animals and reptiles would be out trying to get away from the fire. Thanks Guy not sure if I'm going to get out tomorrow but I may try.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
These guys have been having some bad luck with their bombs, bullets and flares.... :(

http://www.globalsecurity.org/org/news/2004/041106-strafing-range.htm

Philadelphia Inquirer November 6, 2004

The Warren Grove target range in the Pine Barrens will remain closed until military investigators can learn why an F-16 pilot on a training mission Wednesday night mistakenly strafed a nearby intermediate school.

BTW, I recently read the "Images of America" book about the New Jersey Forest Fire Service. Really cool with hundreds of photos taken in the pines over the years: http://books.google.com/books?id=XB...4499X&sig=SmMh9XYJP9zSh9lLV3m3O1_K5EQ#PPP1,M1

Oct 25, 2006
The school hit was told to me that day by my marina owner in little egg harbor,went striper fishing that day,i caught a 27" and a 40" that day in beach haven inlet,clam boats were in the area dredging up the clams,only one boater got shut out that day,was told to use fresh shucked clams,he used live eels,he was shut out,i had a special permit for a third fish,but i caught my fill,my other two friends also caught their limit,i am not what i call a meat fisherman.Weather forecast is calling for heavy wind and rain tomorrow later in the day,wish it would come sooner to help put that fire out,i understand it helps replenish the forest,but human error is no excuse.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here it is. This was at 4 Mile.

FOUR%20MILE.jpg

Closeup

vehicle.jpg