Barrens of fire

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I say keeping it is a win win situation. They just have to have better supervision on when to and when not to do certain things.

I agree that the area around there is fantastic. We have had some good times there :)

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The Canadians always have that great wilderness at their back door. They don't often visit it, but they like it there just the same. Most people who want to drill in the artic Wildlife refuge could not care any less about the wilderness that is there. Most people who do not want to drill there may never visit it either; but they love the fact that there is an area out yonder that is absolutely unspoiled by modern man's footprint (machinery, mines, noise, etc.).

Where is bobpbx going with this you might ask?

I hate the bombing range there, but I love the bombing range there. Have any of you ever been on the side of the Oswego that hugs the bombing range? I have, about three times. It is bar none the wildest area of the pines; just lovely in its wildness. I have been in savannahs that very few people ever see (or would appreciate). The reason it is so pristine and wild is because of the bombing range. The borders of the bombing range keep out the riff-raff and the families on inner tubes, even the North Jersey Saturday hunters. Its lovely, wild, and free. If the range were suddenly gone, it would be open for business; ATV's, hunters, etc. You get the picture, right?

Couldn't agree with you more, exactly my thoughts.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Plus, in one of the articles that there is a link to in this thread, someone in office said they had better things to do with the property. What better things? Homes so they get taxes?

And without that there the Realtors can use that as a selling point to bring in more and more people. And having the federal government want to stay in your area is always a plus as far as I can see. Especially when they don't want to build anything or bring people in. They want less people there.

I say "We need Uncle Sam"!

Guy

Oct 25, 2006
Keep the base, no homes, someone in office has better things to do with the property, uh, oh.

I just wish we could have some access on Sunday when they are not dropping flares.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
The Canadians always have that great wilderness at their back door. They don't often visit it, but they like it there just the same. Most people who want to drill in the artic Wildlife refuge could not care any less about the wilderness that is there. Most people who do not want to drill there may never visit it either; but they love the fact that there is an area out yonder that is absolutely unspoiled by modern man's footprint (machinery, mines, noise, etc.).

Where is bobpbx going with this you might ask?

I hate the bombing range there, but I love the bombing range there. Have any of you ever been on the side of the Oswego that hugs the bombing range? I have, about three times. It is bar none the wildest area of the pines; just lovely in its wildness. I have been in savannahs that very few people ever see (or would appreciate). The reason it is so pristine and wild is because of the bombing range. The borders of the bombing range keep out the riff-raff and the families on inner tubes, even the North Jersey Saturday hunters. Its lovely, wild, and free. If the range were suddenly gone, it would be open for business; ATV's, hunters, etc. You get the picture, right?

I too have been in there (but I don't think you and I have been in there together?) and agree with you whole heartedly Bob!!!! Although my time spent in there was mostly spent trying to get out again before being discovered:rofl: I could truly appreciate the wilderness of the area.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is a test to see if this pdf shows and is reasonably sized. If it does not work, please delete Guy:

WARRENGROVE.PDF

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Don't delete Guy - I would miss him! :)

Bob, whatever you inserted in your post shows up as blank space in my browser, after taking awhile to load.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Thanks Guy. On my home machine it displays properly in Bob's post above. I was using my laptop the other day and it didn't display, but I think the issue is that machine still runs MacOSX 10.3.9 which doesn't support the newer versions of Safari. Old versions of Safari can't display PDF files directly in the browser.

Thanks a lot for posting this Bob, I have been looking for some kind of map like that!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wonder how they knew there were 15,545.9 acres burned? It must be more than a guess.

Guy

firetech792

Scout
Aug 26, 2007
Central NJ
www.sectionb10.org
There are a few ways they come up with the exact acres. Some fire wardens will walk the fire with GPS to get the acres. On a large fire, they'll GPS it from a helicopter. There is also a computer program (I forget the name of it) in the NJFFS division offices that calculate the acres burned.

Pete