Bass River Fire Tower proposal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lj762, Jan 24, 2018.

1. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Funny how you say letting nature take it's course is not good, but then slam humans for meddling with ecosystems. Such as controlled burns and mechanical thinning of the forest?

Toothy Critter likes this.
  2. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

I'd suffer a 1/4 mile wide cleared cut around big fire-sheds if it meant larger, hotter fires every 7 years. I'm not talking everywhere, just enough to give a hint of what our ecosystem was in the past. Plus, the explosion of growth is quite a sight. I don't see that from controlled burns.

3. old jersey girl

old jersey girl Explorer

To clarify: I'm not "slamming" our species for meddling with ecosystems, just noting it as the result of primate evolution, what happens when larger brains combine with opposable thumbs.

We therefore have the responsibility to use current, evolving knowlege to do what we can to mitigate damage, such as thinning forest and controlled burns. Our earlier best practices focused on fire suppression. I said knowlege evolves, we change policy as the science gets better. Making decisions and acting is better than doing nothing to prevent the disaster we know is likely.

Can we also control developement into these areas? Prevent naive humans from interactions with other predators? Give Darwin awards to idiots like the woman who climbed over a barrier to take a "selfie" with a big cat at the zoo?

46er likes this.
  4. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

I would actually cheer if there were some analysis in the direction of what this fellow did. I could definitely get behind trying to restore some of the savanna and open lands that were here several hundred years ago.

https://www.segrasslands.org/blog/2...tFI8xN1UD1NbDH-54TsB3NcIaS8UxwiFEa8LlGwi4oZtY

5. Wildland937

Wildland937 New Member

You made a good point in your statement...MITIGATE DAMAGE. That's exactly what this conversation is all about isnt it? Mitigating damage from forest fires! All that's trying to be done is clear trees from in front of the lookout towers so the observer can actually see the area to spot, report and aid in the control of a devastating wildfire that threatens forest and people homes and property. Imo...there are too many opinions with too much time spent on fixing the obvious....

Broke Jeep Joe and 46er like this.
  6. Wildland937

Wildland937 New Member

Well.....guess there goes the ideas of we need to save this, need to save that and mitigate the effects of man....smh.
    We now have thousands and thousands of acres destroyed all because of a few worthless and ugly white pines that should have been cut down years ago. Jmo..

7. 46er

46er Piney

I think Cedar Bridge had a much better view of this fire.

8. oji

oji Piney

Destroyed?

h2ochild, Toothy Critter and bobpbx like this.
  9. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Good one Tom!

10. Rooftree

Rooftree Explorer

The Bear Swamp Hill tower would have been the best to spot that fire. Are we short on towers?

11. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

Jessica said she saw that Apple Pie called it in.

12. lj762

lj762 Explorer

Back to the topic of tree clearing around the Bass River fire tower, the Pinelands Commission website has 2 documents up, if anyone is interested in 'original source' info. You can find them linked from:
    https://www.state.nj.us/pinelands/home/meetings/index.shtml

1. "Bass River Fire Tower Public Development Application Report and Certificate of Appropriateness" is the recommendation to approve. (While there was also a recommendation to approve the first application, and it was not approved, I really doubt that will happen again.) This includes the responses to public comments. Recommended reading, even where it just dodges questions. Example: "Pubic comments regarding use of alternative technologies" - Staff Response: ... The CMP does not require the applicant to address alternative technologies... [but it does address them a bit anyway].

2. "Bass River Fire Tower Public Comments and Submissions" is 141 pages of scanned or emailed comments submitted. I couldn't make it very far through this.

Next date to watch is April 12 - next commission meeting - where I think it is very likely to be approved.

13. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

There is some very interesting info in that public comment file.

14. GermanG

GermanG Piney

Wouldn't exactly be my description either. It can destroy human development. It can destroy stands being grown for harvest. But if fire destroys pine barrens, it would have all been gone by now.

#154 GermanG, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
  15. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

16. GermanG

GermanG Piney

Consulting foresters do all types of work. I can't speak for what percentage of his business involves this type of project but I know he's been involved in several of this type, most notably on land owned by the Pine Island Cranberry Co. (Haines family). I've seen what was done there characterized as merely a quail reintrodution project but that is just a small part of their management goals. A section of their website is devoted to that project and is worth checking out.

bobpbx likes this.
  17. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

18. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

19. lj762

lj762 Explorer

20. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Though he is a good writer, and it's an interesting article, when pressed he also may have chosen to step back and accept massive sand road closures too, leaving it to the "more qualified sorts". Luckily, we know better than the more qualified sorts in that case.

Broke Jeep Joe likes this.