Bass River Fire Tower proposal

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Thanks, yes I see now. Apparently there are 3 possibilities. (1) It goes to an Administrative Law Judge who would decide if the tree clearing should go ahead or not. (2) DEP sues and it goes to Appellate Court to decide. (3) Gov Murphy vetos the commission meeting minutes, tossing the ball back to the Pinelands Commission to reconsider.

I got the feeling the commission doesn't want this decision on them, so I guess they would prefer (1). DEP is going to decide if they want (2), and I think (3) is very unlikely. Just my opinion, though, and probably groundless.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Interesting the pinelands commission had no problem with the clear cut of Washington turnpike for fire safety but have issue with 16 acres of non native tree's being clear cut.

Reactions: mowergod

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Something I found interesting in the article, that I had not seen reported anywhere else. There were a lot of public comments - and here in this thread - about why don't they use, or at least try, cameras. Turns out NJ-DEP had previously installed 2 cameras for fire watch, one in Ocean County and one in Monmouth County. They were apparently installed after towns put up water towers that blocked the forest fire observation towers (which I think is pretty funny). DEP says the cameras were not successful. More details in the article.

Reactions: Piney4life

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
When you don't want to do something you amazingly find a number of "excuses" against it. I believe the article said "loss of wireless signal". Well ya, how many cell phones lose signal? Hardwire the camera's. Keep the man in the tower with a camera pole extension on top of the tower and have the best of both. What is the FFS doing about those 2 water towers? The day will come when observation will be automated like it or not. Cameras are now a part of our everyday lives. This is simply resistance to newer technology. We've all seen and experienced change in our lives, like it or hate it, change moves along regardless and even haters eventually "accept" it.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Detailed (really detailed) coverage of the Pinelands Commission vote, from the Pine Barrens Tribune

Good reporting from the Tribune that shows just how ineffective the Pinelands Commission is. Just imagine if they had a BIG decision to make :worms:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Good reporting from the Tribune that shows just how ineffective the Pinelands Commission is. Just imagine if they had a BIG decision to make :worms:

They do a very nice job of reporting this sort of thing.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Tittel always has been and remains, a large, blocked, anal cavity. The entire process is flawed, having a group without thorough knowledge of a topic, ignoring those that do, and making decisions regarding it. The same as the Governor ignoring his agencies recommendation on the Bear hunt. Camp Run-A-Muck, alive and well in NJ.

Reactions: mowergod

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can no longer view the BCT website. I was able to take a quick screenshot to see the article.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect there have been backdoor discussions to find ways to resolve this issue.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I can no longer view the BCT website...
Sorry for the BCT link. I think they use cookies to limit how much you can read there without paying. I heard about this application withdrawal from someone who said it was in the Press of Atlantic City, but I couldn't find it there, or anywhere else including nj.gov/dep.

(Wondering if there is a request for quotes out looking for some ultra-quiet chain-saws, flashlights, and extra batteries. Do a little midnight tree 'trimming'...)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The PPA is pushing their agenda, which is fine, but you know what their ultimate goal is.

Rhoads said her organization heard Monday from Murphy, who said he is instructing his staff to do the work needed to move appointments forward.

There is also a federal appointee to represent the interests of the U.S. Park Service, as the Pinelands are a national and state preserve.

https://www.pressofatlanticcity.com...cle_2ff015be-4aeb-5f2c-b1b3-22a7fa54b1c9.html