Bass River Fire

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Reminds me. I got onto the power lines west of Jackson Road about 2 weeks ago here at the sanctuary, and was immediately met with rude signs by some conservancy (Rancocas?) threatening $1,000 fines for being on the trail under the powerlines. They were prominent signs and numerous. Anyone know about this?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Bob, atv are a real problem there along with trucks. They come from the sanctuary and off the dirt jackson section. There are a lot of pbtf that breed along that cut and historically timber and pine snakes have crossed there. Every kid in sanctuary has a quad and rips thru the woods there. The entire sanctuary is an epic disaster, should have never been built. Was the western most rattlesnake den and really a pristine area prior, it’s just Ashame. Fortunately lots of woods beyond it, with the West Jersey bogs being just a beautiful wetland complex.

In other news must have been a flair up as a bunch of fir trucks going into highbridge this am.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
0536AE46-3343-4DFA-84E5-5C6495347809.jpeg

I can’t get away from the smoke. My daughter has softball practice up by Hamilton. The wind just pushed in heavy smoke here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yes, apparently that has been a major source of the smoke for the past week or so. Saw a report that New York had the worst air quality of any major city in the world for awhile last night and it was #2 this morning (normally it would be way down the list). No so bad down here in Atlantic County yesterday or today (so far...).

Some info here, also mentions the fires in the Pines.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Yes, apparently that has been a major source of the smoke for the past week or so. Saw a report that New York had the worst air quality of any major city in the world for awhile last night and it was #2 this morning (normally it would be way down the list). No so bad down here in Atlantic County yesterday or today (so far...).

Some info here, also mentions the fires in the Pines.

Yes it was hazy the whole way up to Brooklyn. And I couldn’t see any land from mid span of the Varanzano.

Reactions: Boyd
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
As I'm driving north on route 295 up past Bordentown, I swear it's getting smokier the further north I go. At this rate, by time I get to Ewing, I'll have to turn on my headlights.

Canada warns of record 2023 wildfire destruction as traveling smoke impacts millions of Americans

• Wow
Reactions: Teegate and Boyd
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
On the way to Mt Laurel, coming from Ewing, I've never seen it so bad. Today is supposed to be slightly better, but you folks further south will see it heavier, according to the morning forecast.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yesterday really wasn't bad here, I was out wandering in the woods for a few hours. There was a refreshing wind and I think the smoke was at a higher altitude because it made the sun orange-ish but there wasn't a lot of haze. Then, around 7:30PM the wind stopped and temperature fell and I started to notice the smoke more.

Reactions: smoke_jumper

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Definitely more smoke today, but I wouldn't consider it that bad. The pollen has been much more of a problem for me, and it was very bad until about two days ago when it let up noticeably. Tried a fun little experiment around 8:30 this morning. This was the view looking Southeast from here in the Peaslee WMA.

https://boydsmaps.com/#19.00/39.311246/-74.872785/njgin2015/0.00/0.00

poles1.jpg

Realized that we might be able to determine the visibility distance by zooming in on this scene. I can count 10 (maybe 11?) distinct poles here. This is a reduced size crop from the full image, shot with the (optical) telephoto on my iPhone 12 Pro Max. Lots of artifacts in that image!

poles2.jpg

Looking closely at the 2015 aerials, this is what I got for 10 poles. So, somewhere between 1/3 to 1/2 mile visibility? But that could be completely wrong... :D

map.png

Last edited:

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
As Boyd said, I too saw the sun orange in color at about 7:00PM But when I took a photo, it looked as shown in my attached pic. I went to a different advantage point about 10 minutes later, but I could not see the sun at all.. I was trying to get a photo of the sun sitting right above the Philda Skyline. And I couldn't see the skyline either.

20230607_190329_001.jpg

Reactions: Teegate and Boyd