Be careful out there...

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
In addition to roadblocks for sobriety checks, the NTSB thinks we need them to prevent you from using your cell phone (including hands-free)...

http://www.ntsb.gov/news/2011/111213.html

The safety recommendation specifically calls for the 50 states and the District of Columbia to ban the nonemergency use of portable electronic devices (other than those designed to support the driving task) for all drivers. The safety recommendation also urges use of the NHTSA model of high-visibility enforcement to support these bans and implementation of targeted communication campaigns to inform motorists of the new law and heightened enforcement.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/13/us/ntsb-cell-phone-ban/index.html

"This (distracted driving) is becoming the new DUI. It's becoming epidemic," said NTSB member Robert Sumwalt.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well I haven't noticed any difference in cell phone use since they passed the law in NJ. What we need are some roadblocks and "high visibility enforcement" I guess. :rolleyes:

I have handsfree bluetooth built into my new car but rarely use it. My phone is just muted in the car 99% of the time, not because of safety concerns but because I just don't want to be bothered by the phone in my car.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
Well, at least advancement in the sense that it was one of the few things you could drink before water treatment became possible. There was just enough alcohol in small ale to kill off, or I guess stupify, the harmful organisms.

Edit: by the way, Al, that was quite an operation :). I worked at an offshore oil support company in Davisville, RI back in the early 80's. 50-100 ton lifts were a daily occurrence. Walter, the crane operator, was the king of that place. He'd sit up on the crane with his oiler (whose name I can't recall, but who, come to think of it, may have been the actual king, because he got union rates and never lifted a finger as far as I saw) until some work presented itself, and then he would do the pick, and go back to sleep. If I ever thought he was drunk I wouldn't have gone anywhere near that dock.
I always thought that the reason beer was safer to drink than water back in the day was because they boiled the wort which resulted in sterilization.