Be careful out there...

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
this guy pulls out of bar spins tires and swerves. cop pulls him over, finds he is totally sober. cop asks "why are u driving so bad" the guy says "I'm the designated decoy"

Reactions: Pine Baron
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I'll probably stir up some harsh feelings, but I'm of the opinion if you have even one drink (yes, beer is a drink in my example) you should not get behind the wheel for several hours.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
I was once pulled over on the White Horse Pike in Berlin, driving a Jeep CJ7 on 35" tires. I'll admit now that this thing was a mess mechanically (safety). Anyway, it was very very windy. the flat sides of the Jeep, combined with those big tires & junk suspension had me all over the road. It was about 1 am when i was pulled over. The cop walked up & expected me to be drunk. I was issued a field sobriety test, as I explained the condition of the Jeep, the policeman laughed. I even offered him to take a ride in it! No, i had nothing to drink, I was fine & the officer told me "Get this piece of crap fixed"

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
What kind of beer are you drinking, Nascar?

I'm not and that's my point. It's tough for a non-drinker to accept the fact that people feels it's OK to drive intoxicated, even if they don't think they are. In my case, I go one step further in beleiving that even the consumption of one drink is too much to get behind the wheel. As far as the pot smoking and driving (or anything else associated with pot), that's a different topic all together that I have strong feelings about too.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
I think that during the holiday season, everyone should have a beer before driving. It will take the edge off and result in less stressed drivers, making a safer drive for everyone.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
When I was in Italy in the late 80's I visited an industrial plant and had lunch in the cafeteria with the workers. I was surprised to see small bottles of wine offered in the line, and was informed that it was common in Italy to offer workers wine to go with lunch. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but I think a single drink is not an impairment to correctly performing safety-sensitive tasks like driving.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I used to work with a crane operator who was an alcoholic,He died a couple years ago from liver and diabetes problems. In any case at home he lived on beer,at work he lived on mountain dew since he was for some unknown reason not allowed to drink while operating a ten ton crane. No one else would work with him for fear of their lives,just me.I kinda like the crusty old fart. See I knew he was drunk every day he came to work and I was always ready for his tricks.he on the other hand I don't believe knew he was drunk for him it was a state of being.He once had an accident on the way home from work and hit an ambulance that was sitting on the curb with it's lights flashing.back then he used to sneak alcohol to work with him before they covered the place in cameras.He could never figure out why the cop took his license instead of the ambulance drivers.In his mind it was the ambulances fault for blinding him with those bright lights..For some unknown reason he dies at the young age of 64 from diabetes and a bad liver? Comeon now! Isn't beer and mountain dew the proper diet for that condition? I really do miss him :-(

He always managed to hurt himself more then he hurt me for some reason.Perhaps because I was the one who knew he was drunk?

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I used to work with a crane operator who was an alcoholic,He died a couple years ago from liver and diabetes problems. In any case at home he lived on beer,at work he lived on mountain dew since he was for some unknown reason not allowed to drink while operating a ten ton crane. No one else would work with him for fear of their lives,just me.I kinda like the crusty old fart. See I knew he was drunk every day he came to work and I was always ready for his tricks.he on the other hand I don't believe knew he was drunk for him it was a state of being.He once had an accident on the way home from work and hit an ambulance that was sitting on the curb with it's lights flashing.back then he used to sneak alcohol to work with him before they covered the place in cameras.He could never figure out why the cop took his license instead of the ambulance drivers.In his mind it was the ambulances fault for blinding him with those bright lights..For some unknown reason he dies at the young age of 64 from diabetes and a bad liver? Comeon now! Isn't beer and mountain dew the proper diet for that condition? I really do miss him :-(

He always managed to hurt himself more then he hurt me for some reason.Perhaps because I was the one who knew he was drunk?

Heh, I think everyone who's worked heavy industry up to... say, the late eighties knew someone like that. I think it's a lot less common now, and a lot less tolerated. I take it he wasn't a union guy? He would have had an oiler on the rig and unless the oiler was a drunk too the union would know all about his, um, diet. They'd find him a nice, easy job wire brushing old chokers and shackles. Or maybe ten tons is too small for an oiler.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
yes we were union.not a union I'd recommend to anyone else though.sort of a joke at our expense.Everyone knew he was drunk all the time and it was overlooked.he was not the only one. Everyone was supposed to be drug tested after an accident,anyone involved in it.That rule was quite frequently brushed aside when it involved people they knew would fail but were good workers and sorely needed.This wasn't very long ago either.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I'm really not sure how to take your post, so I won't further comment.

It's a true stroy Nascar.I don't know how I meant you to take it other then that. I don't drink and generally do not take kindly to drunks but I do occasionally find ones I like.Some drunks are great while drunk as long as their not endangering anyone and their real miseralble when sober.Then you have the drunk who gives new meaning to the " add alcohol and stir to get an a$$hole.
I generally think alcohol is a blight on the face of mankind but you have to admit it does make folks do some really funny stuff sometimes but no if it disappeared from earth tomorrow I wouldn't miss it,never had it,how can I miss it? I don't need any outside substance to act the ass if I want to,I'm competent in that direction unaided.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"Every so often, Fred would reach into his pocket and touch up his day with a minimal sip from a half pint of whiskey. He did this at irregular intervals, and one day, when he had a new half pint, he took more than five hours to reduce the level of the whiskey from the neck to the shoulders of the bottle. At an intersection of two sand roads in the Wharton Tract, he pointed to a depression in the ground and said, 'That hole in the ground was the cellar of an old jug tavern. That cellar was where they kept the jugs. There was a town here called Mount. That tavern is where my grandpop got drunk the last time he got drunk in his life.'"

The Pine Barrens by John McPhee, page 21

Reactions: scouter