Beaverdam Lake/ SH** head jeepers

Status
Not open for further replies.

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
I have a two wheel drive s10. we wanted to put our kayaks in beaverdam lake. tried two or three ways to enter the road leading to it. Each one had a huge WHITE TRASH PUDDLE. So we couldn't get through. The reason the cops don't put a stop to it is because most of those retards did the same thing when they were young. We ended up in Atsion Lake from 7-8. Great except for the hum of traffic. you can hear it from every part of the lake. I don't mind a spot or two for jeeps. Everyone should be able to have fun in the woods. Either way this kayaking thing is out of this world. So easy to transport. Have seen an incredible amount of birds on Atsion and Wilson Lake(clayton) already. Looking foward to the fall.

TEEJ

I'm not getting a visual on this..."White Trash Puddle" thing...?

(Obviously, others are familiar with what white trash is, and how it fills puddles, etc...and has something to do with jeeps)

Could you describe it for me?

The term "white trash" I've heard, typically a derogatory term referring to poor white people.

The term "puddle" I've heard, typically referring to a shallow pool of liquid.

Its the combination I've never heard before...and the jeep thing further complicates it (Is that the part I'm not supposed to understand about the jeep thing?)

Maybe a shallow pool of poor white people, left there by jeeps?

Why would a puddle prevent one from entering a lake?

Is it the pool of poor white people in it that inhibits access?

:)

BlueMoonMuskrat

Explorer
Sep 12, 2008
I think he was referring to the huge puddles left by jeeps driven by white trash.

(I can't tell if you're just being sarcastic.)

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
As with anything it is the few idiots who give everybody a bad name. The State will only fix the puddles on the main roads. Any side are left alone. Just check out the side roads around High Crossing. Some of those roads and bogs have been screwed over by a few 4 wheeling boneheads. The fact is you will never stop it and you have to take the good with the bad. I like to believe there are more good 4 wheelers than bad ones.

TEEJ

Do you means ruts, like from the tires, that then fill with water?

Or is there something that they do other than that to make depression in the ground?

I've off roaded in the barrens for decades, and use fat tires that make little to no imprint, specifically to tread lightly.

The people I have wheeled with also adhere to Tread Lightly principles.

The 7th Annual Pine Barrens Clean Up, performed by off roaders, involves cleaning up illegal dumpers' refuse, the tv's thrown from the fire tower that pollute the area with heavy metals, etc.

We have a Tread Lightly booth to sign up those who have not yet joined as well, and so forth.

Its October 26, 2008, at 9:30 AM btw if anyone wants to participate. :D

There's raffle prizes and beer/beverages and wings, etc, at the Pic a Lilli afterwards.

So - the people I off road with are extremely aware of the environment, and, want it to be there to enjoy for themselves, and their descendants. They KNOW that if an area is damaged, it jeopardizes future access.

If there are Jeeps making depressions in the ground that collect water and prevent kayaks from getting into, um, deeper water, well, they should be shot. (the jeepers, not the kayaks...)

As a few hundred people will be participating in the clean up, I can inquire as to the presence of bone heads, etc.

So - are we talking about ruts, or is there something else going on? As the initial description implied the puddle was so large and deep that a pick-up truck could not get through it....I'm thinking more than "puddle"? Is it the water in the depression, or the depression itself, that stopped the pickup truck?

(THIS is why the Tread Lightly program exists - to prevent this sort of disturbance, especially if its being done adjacent to bodies of water.)

So - a lot of posts, not a single decent explanation of what it is that is stopping the truck...

..someone help?

:D

(The sleeping dog part was tongue in cheek...)

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
What I myself mean is people who get in a puddle and just tear it up by making ruts. They seem to think it is cool to spin their wheels and dig up the puddle. Then somebody comes along not knowing this and gets stuck. The last time he went thru it may have been no problem. Then when somebody gets stuck they use a log or something else to get out. The next guy who goes thru gets stuck from the ruts or maybe that log left behind. The whole point is that some people have no respect for the woods. I have been driving thru the pines for years and have seen people and been stuck myself , not from something we did but because some idiot tore up a puddle with his truck and now that puddle is a bad water hole.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The whole point is that some people have no respect for the woods. I have been driving thru the pines for years and have seen people and been stuck myself , not from something we did but because some idiot tore up a puddle with his truck and now that puddle is a bad water hole.

There are people from all walks of life and interests that have no respect for the woods.

You should always test the depth of puddles before you go into them. You should also try to stay to the sides of the puddle as much as possible.

I drive a Wrangler Rubicon, one of the most capable off road vehicles you can buy, and I have turned around at puddles that look bad, or I have gone though them very cautiously. If the puddle is wide enough to completely cross the road you should never take it for granted.

TEEJ

So - we are talking about ruts from tires. Got it.

A puddle crossing a trail is unlikely to be from this, as the ruts typically run in the trail direction, rather than across it.

It is quite possible that the wet muddy puddle that's already there, due to flow across the trail, created slippery conditions, and, tires dug in spinning while trying to cross it...which is bad form.

The problem for most trails under these conditions tends to be that the ruts, going in the same direction as the trail, tend to be where, say, a small tired 2wd silverado, etc...puts its tires into the same rut made by a larger tired Jeep Rubicon, etc...and, its axle or diff then drags, and/or it high centers, and the 2wd low rider rig gets stuck.

Of course, sometimes, if the ground is soft enough, merely driving over it to put a kayak into the water further down the trail will leave indentations in the soft mud. The skinnier the tire, the deeper the indentations, etc....due to the increased ground pressure per square inch of tread.

If several vehicles follow the same trail, these indentations deepen with time. An advantage to a paved road of course, is that the deepening of where the tires tend to pass is greatly lessened.

If driving off road, say on a trail rather than pavement...and you are driving a low 2wd rig meant for pavement, well, you are at a distinct disadvantage...as your rig is not meant to go off road.

I have found that rigs that are not made to go off road, like 2wd pick ups, tend to get stuck a lot, and spin their tires to try to get unstuck, or to maintain momentum and attempt to make it through low traction conditions...and, they tend to tear up trails more if they try to get through.

The decision for a 2wd pavement oriented rig to turn back when faced with actual off road conditions, is therefore a responsible one, as it tends to be less damaging to the environment.

Obviously, there are points of diminishing return, and some degree of off road driving can be done by a pavement oriented rig. I was passed by a honda accord on apple pie hill maybe 8 years ago for example, etc.

Conversely, I've seen brand new Hummers tearing up areas just to see rooster tails of mud fly up so their friends can take pictures of them "Off Roading"...but on dirt roads.

White trash might apply traditionally if they were in fact poor, which is not a common Hummer demographic, but, if "White Trash" can also apply to rich non-white bone heads, I suppose a non-ethnic slur might be appropriate, perhaps just "Trash". (Not all Hummer owners are actually White, etc...)

:D

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
What I myself mean is people who get in a puddle and just tear it up by making ruts. They seem to think it is cool to spin their wheels and dig up the puddle. Then somebody comes along not knowing this and gets stuck. The last time he went thru it may have been no problem. Then when somebody gets stuck they use a log or something else to get out. The next guy who goes thru gets stuck from the ruts or maybe that log left behind. The whole point is that some people have no respect for the woods. I have been driving thru the pines for years and have seen people and been stuck myself , not from something we did but because some idiot tore up a puddle with his truck and now that puddle is a bad water hole.

This one isn't in a puddle but I see this often.

P1040853.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.