Beer (again)

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Dont remember what concert off the top of my head, but if I had to guess Id say it was a Black Crowes concert. I usually go to a half dozen of their shows each year. Other shows I've seen in the last few years: Ratdog (w/ Bob Weir from the Grateful Dead), Willie Nelson, George Jones, Shooter Jennings, Allman Bros, Govt Mule, Merle Haggard, Bob Dylan and maybe a few others. Im big on concerts. Always loved classic rock, but have gotten heavily into older country in the last 6-7 years. It was actually the Black Crowes who turned me on to country covers, especially Gram Parsons and the Flying Burrito Bros. My best friend lives outside of Fort Worth, Texas and Ive been down there many times.. that whole scene turned me on to people like Willie and Waylon, George Jones, David Allan Coe, and many others. Big on the whole Hank family too (Jr and the 3rd). How bout yourself. Got anything I should try out?

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
While drinking beer (there, now we're not off topic!) I listen to a very wide variety of music. I am heavily into Blues and have played harmonica (harp) with a local Blues band years ago. I also go up to Albert Hall in Waretown a couple of time a year to sit in in the Pickin' Shed and brush up on my Country and Bluegrass harp technique.
In the vein of music you've mentioned, give Joe Ely & Joel Guzman's "Live Cactus" a listen. I love the Tex/Mex Tejano influence in their songs.
If you can grab a six pack of Lone Star or Texas Pride, it would go great with this music.
I went to see Daneilia Cotton last night at World Cafe Live in Philly.
Upcoming shows I plan to hit: Floggin' Molly @ HOB in A.C. The Neville Brothers w/ Dr John @ HOB in A.C

Good old Lone Star is all we drink in Fort Worth since its brewed right there.. Shiner Bock is even better though. Ive listened to Joe Ely on my serius outlaw country station and think he's pretty good. Dr. Johns a good listen too.. got into him through The Band, who I really love. Even got a Floggin Molly cd I bust out on Paddys Day, along with Drop Kick Murphys and some old Dubliners and Clancy Bros stuff. Have a good one.
Mike

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Currently drinking Mojo Risin' Double IPA by Boulder Beer Company. Excellent. I can't remember ever drinking an imperial IPA that I did not enjoy immensely.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I've had Dead Guy Ale plenty of times, but just saw it recently in a 64 oz half gallon jug and had to pick a few up. Theres just something about muscling those big jugs up to your mouth that make it a little more fun than the regular bottle. Back in college we had a micro brew down the way that used to sell their beer by the half gallon and gallon.. good stuff.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Lagunitas New Dog Town in front of me right now.
Hopped to the top.
Picked up some Never Summer, K-9 Kruiser and Dead Guy for a three day drunkfest with some gun club buds and their wives on Tilghman Island MD.
Leaving in the a.m. with the cooler, the bride and the dog. Kids are holding down the home front.
Report back later. I hope.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Lagunitas New Dog Town in front of me right now.
Hopped to the top.
Picked up some Never Summer, K-9 Kruiser and Dead Guy for a three day drunkfest with some gun club buds and their wives on Tilghman Island MD.
Leaving in the a.m. with the cooler, the bride and the dog. Kids are holding down the home front.
Report back later. I hope.

Tilgham Island must be "hopping" right about now

Post some pics when you return home safe Scott!

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Found a good draft in one of the 2 streetside saloons in St. Michaels.
Old Dominion Oak Barrel Stoudt.
Barmaid said it was better than Guinness. It was smooth as silk and had a mixture of flavors that you couldn't nail down.
I am going to look for it around here.
Other than that, I enjoyed my Dead Guys and K-9's.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
That sounds real tasty! It says on their web site that they condition it in oak Bourbon barrels. I know a bunch of single malts that use sherry, port, and bourbon barrels, but this is the first time I've read about a brewer doing it.

Harveston Old Engine Oil is aged in scotch barrels. It's got quite a kick to it.

I've been enjoying Troegs Hop Back Ale. Gabe has really turned me on to the hoppy beers. It's all I can drink now.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Harveston Old Engine Oil is aged in scotch barrels. It's got quite a kick to it.

I've been enjoying Troegs Hop Back Ale. Gabe has really turned me on to the hoppy beers. It's all I can drink now.

Troegs is great. If you like hops then Im sure you've tried the nugget nectar.. real good.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Gabe has really turned me on to the hoppy beers. It's all I can drink now.

Gabe sure has ruined me for life too.
My beer purchases for one week total more than my home heating bills.
Gotta have your priorities straight I guess.
I now use Yuengling to wash dog s*it off my boots.

Ben, try Lagunitas New Dog Town. Hops city.

Looks like Old Dominion might be hard to find around here, judging by their distribution network.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't like those overly hoppy beers. Too much of a bite for me. Gives me a feeling of heartburn. I did find an unfiltered beer I really enjoy. Has good taste.

FAITHM.JPG