Beer (again)

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I'd say "over the top" would be accurate.
Truth be told I still only have one thing to say.
"It's just beer"

g.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'd like to try absinthe.

I almost died laughing last week when I was in Austin. They sell it there and my host decided to try it. The bar had it displayed in this weird looking decanter set up right on the bar. It was clear in the decanter but they poured it through sugar cube and it turns milky green color and smells like powerful herbs.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3236/3155007621_bf3d23a5b9_o.jpg

http://i.ehow.com/images/GlobalPhoto/Articles/2072050/louche_Full.jpg

About 10 minutes after he took 3/4 of the glass he shuddered, set it down real slow and walked away from the rest of us and out the door to the porch. He said he got a weird vibration behind his neck. He had been drinking wine for a couple hours prior to that, so he probably overloaded his system.

Edit: The decanter is actually ice water? From Wiki...."With increased popularity, the absinthe fountain, a large jar of ice water on a base with spigots, came into use. It allowed a number of drinks to be prepared at once, and with a hands-free drip, patrons were able to socialize while louching a glass."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absinthe

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I've tried that knarly stuff man it looped me up pretty good. My sister-in-law brought back a bottle from France. It is very herbal tasting and its powerful. I don't think most of the stuff sold in the U.S. is as potent as the French stuff. I was extremely silly after about 3 shots.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I've tried that knarly stuff man it looped me up pretty good. My sister-in-law brought back a bottle from France. It is very herbal tasting and its powerful. I don't think most of the stuff sold in the U.S. is as potent as the French stuff. I was extremely silly after about 3 shots.

Did you feel more aware and perceptive about things even though you were drunk? The chemical in the wormwood plant is supposed to have that effect. The alcohol content of the traditional stuff is 70-75%. I think it's still banned in France.

http://www.absinthesupply.com/What-is-absinthe.html

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Oh yeah it was quite a buzz and felt like I was doing more than just drinking. I stopped after a few small shots due to being with the in-laws and trying to maintain my upstanding reputation with the family:rolleyes:

The real stuff is very pricey. I'd like to find the right time and place and feel the beast if you will. That article is great Bob!

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Tried the real stuff once and it did a number on me. I currently have one kind sold here in the states on my counter (its half full and been there for about 6 months). Its the bottle with the catlike eyes on it. Cost about 70 bucks and doesn't do anything different but taste bad and loop you up more than standard liquor.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore

Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drinkI feel shame. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes and dreams .. If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered.Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this wine and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.
"WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell happened to your bra and panties.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day. "~Frank Sinatra
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher, smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."~ Henny Youngman
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing with you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not."~ Stephen Wright
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk,we fall asleep. When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's allget drunk and go to heaven!"~ Brian O'Rourke
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."~ Benjamin Franklin
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like a spaz.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."~ Dave Barry
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell your friends over & over again that you love them.~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~To some, it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!~Dave Howell
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with members of the opposite sex without spitting.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
For shame ladies and gentlemens. There hasn't been a beer post since 12-21-09 !

Anyhows , I am very much liking Lagunitas Maximus IPA of late and I am much tearful that Flying Dog K-9Cruiser seems to have been wiped out for many weeks at my local beereery.

Tonight I bought some Sierra Nevada Torpedo, along with my Maximus.
Torpedo not so good.
Hoppy for the sake of hops sake with a hoppy bitter taste and finish.
I love hopped beers but there was not a lot of finesse in this one.
Ahhhhh, Maximus.

Scott

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
For the money you can't beat The Long Trail Brewmaster series. Canal's currently has Imperial Porter in the big bottle for less than 4 bucks. As you all know most big bottles average $6 and up. Also the Yards Presidential series are excellent. They have Washington's recipe, Jefferson, and even old Ben (I know he's not one of the presidents). The Ben Franklin one has a is made with Spruce, its tasty if you like your your beer with a little earthy goodness

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Long Trail :guinness: good stuff! It has been my beer of choice for the last few months. I bought a case of Magic Hat seasonal brews for new years eve, not so good.