Beer (again)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
What brand of beer does a somewhat macho female resident of the Pines drink? (Jeff, she lives up by Mt. Misery. :) )

She can afford an expensive brew, but it needs to be in a can.

Please describe color of can as well.

Glo

In my opinion, The King of Beers would be what a "somewhat macho" piney female would drink as Oji said.

Bud in returnable bottles, not cans, was the house favorite at the Pic and other Piney haunts back in the 70's and 80's. I can tell you that first hand.

I always preferred the returnables because they were fresher.
Most manufacturers had returnables back then and your dedicated drinkers usully opted for returnabales because they were cheaper. (As long as you didn't let any walk away.)
My grandmother always had a case of Shaeffer returnables at the bottom of her cellar steps and the sweet smell of stale beer in those empties in the cellar is etched in my mind forever.

Unfortunately, returnables from almost all manufacturers have gone away for good.
Sad, in this "green" era we seem to be entering.

As for the Bud can though, it is as classic as Warhol's cambell Soup can.

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&sigr=11f8l4m6n&sigi=11grr79ru&sigb=12glidrgh

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Yes, back then Bud was definately The King! Every bar and backwoods spot (even the bonfires at Mt. Misery pit) the only beer offered was Bud. The only exception was Pemberton Boro where they drank Michelob in the bottles we called "skullcrushers" because the glass was thick at the bottom and if you got hit on the head........

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Thank you both, and for the link to the can. You've given me an interesting bit of history too.

Do you think a man could crush a beer can without much effort, as in this excerpt:

[He shrugged. “Went down it a good ways, along the river, sort of. Trees get thick and—don’t rush me—somewhere along there . . .” He picked up the beer can and slowly crushed it into a handful of red and white. “Found that car. In the bushes, like I told you. Past a big old pine blocking the road.” He spun the fractured can across the table and leaned back, looking smug.]

Not having done much can-crushing myself, could use advice/suggestions. :)

Glo

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Dogfish Head
Good stuff! I bought a 4 pack a few weeks ago of a unfiltered brew aged in wood kegs. Palo San some thing I think. Looked like chocolate milk, tasted awesome and packed a 12% punch. The 120 minute IPA is very good also.

Chris

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Thank you both, and for the link to the can. You've given me an interesting bit of history too.

Do you think a man could crush a beer can without much effort, as in this excerpt:

[He shrugged. “Went down it a good ways, along the river, sort of. Trees get thick and—don’t rush me—somewhere along there . . .” He picked up the beer can and slowly crushed it into a handful of red and white. “Found that car. In the bushes, like I told you. Past a big old pine blocking the road.” He spun the fractured can across the table and leaned back, looking smug.]

Glo

Glo, Modern aluminum cans can easily be crushed with one hand.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA

Glo,
You should try some! Be sure to empty them first. After 5 or 6 you could advance to the "fore head smash"! Yell something like"uuurrrraaahh" afterwards. You'll love it!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't picture her doing that, but you never know.

Guy

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Glo,
You should try some! Be sure to empty them first. After 5 or 6 you could advance to the "fore head smash"! Yell something like"uuurrrraaahh" afterwards. You'll love it!

:guinness:
Right, after emptying one or two I'd sure be mumbling something like "uuurrrraaahh" and I'd probably knock the rest of them over--end of practice! But hey, thanks . . . Grendel . . . for your suggestion.

Glo