Bigfoot sighting...i swear it wasn't me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Barefoot_Shoes.jpg

Were they wearing a pair of shoes like these?:)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
that is cool.were they out twenty years ago?....

....wouldn't want to have to walk through snow barefooted more then a couple minutes.

I doubt it, they are a recent fad. No toe jam after a long walk.

There is survival show on cable called Duel Survival, or something like that. One of the guys goes barefoot all the time; snow, desert, rocks, whatever.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
That's the one. He is a real 'off the grid' kinda guy.

Lundin lives in a self designed, off-the-grid solar earth home in the high-desert wilderness of Northern Arizona. There, he catches rain, composts waste and pays nothing for heating and cooling. He has been going barefoot for more than 20 years, part of his indigenous self-reliant philosophy.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Cody and Dave rock! Dave is a redneck hillbilly and Cody is a bug eatin bush hippie.they go very well together:)

Al, it may seem odd to others who only know you superficially (and it may even seem odd to you), but when I think of those two, I identify YOU mostly with Cody.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"m actually a composite of the two.I'm more of a Barefooted Bush Hillbilly :)
Haven't worn real shoes since I went off on visibility:)
Was born a few years late for the hippie scene.Do remember it as a little kid though.With my WV /KY DNA probably have more hillbilly then the hippie in me:)
Cody and Dave both do rock though!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I"m actually a composite of the two.I'm more of a Barefooted Bush Hillbilly :)
Haven't worn real shoes since I went off on visibility:)
Was born a few years late for the hippie scene.Do remember it as a little kid though.With my WV /KY DNA probably have more hillbilly then the hippie in me:)
Cody and Dave both do rock though!

Yeah, I do like the show, and I also like them equally well.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I agree with Dave that there are instances when Cody needs to put some damn shoes on his feet,like in the snow for one but I agree with Cody that Dave needs needs to realize there are times when he will have to forget steak and eat a few grub worms now and then.Kinda reminds me of Whip and I.I'm always wanting to run ahead and explore around the next bend and he wants to stop and take pictures.We've lost each other a few times doing these very things:)
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It is one of the better shows and they are matched up perfectly to keep things interesting. Cody has worn socks at times :eek: I miss Les Stroud's show and hope the husband & wife team get cancelled, as well as Grylls; 2 worthless shows IMO.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
My wife hates Grylls because he's an exhibitionist (nudist) and always doing unecessary stunts that have nothing to do with survival.I agree with her.She also hates that British accent.I disagree with her.I like the accent,though i prefer Scottish.
Man Woman Wild we both think is okay but when Ruth's husband made her drink his pee well that about turned me against that show too.There is no survival value at all in drinking pee.Pee is poison,thats why our bodies get rid of it.Distilled pee would be good water but drinking straight pee is like drinking ocean water.It will make you sick and eventually kill you.
We used to like Stroud and still do like his older shows but now he has gotten into visiting tribes and participating in voodoo rituals and what not and has nothing to do with survival anymore.He is now an Anthropologist instead of a Survivalist.He does play a mean harmonica though:)
Cody and Dave are still tops.What I still would like most to see is instead of a show all about how to survive until you can manage to get out of the terrifying wilderness and back to blessed Syphilisation is why not a movie sety up in a particular environment where a couple or a small tribe actually survive for a year and by the end of that year are doing it comfortably?I'm not talking about that trash show Survivor,I mean a real tribe living primitive style.No steel,no plastic,no glass.I don't think anyone can survive primitive comfortably by themselves but a family unit could do it.They could actually demonstrate the skills necessary to a point where a person could actually learn it.As many times as I've seen the hand drill and bow drill demonstrated on these shows no one could ever learn them from the quick demonstration they give and who carries a car battery strapped to their body besides Cody?
Al

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Al, have you ever seen the documentary 'Alone in the Wilderness' about Dick Proenneke? If not you have to look out for it, usually shows on PBS. You'll love it, this guy spent 30 self sufficient years alone. and not exactly primitively There are also video's available, a library might have one. If you have the interest, the NPS preserved his cabin and it is open for visits in Lake Clark National Park & Preserve.

http://www.nps.gov/lacl/historyculture/proennekes-cabin.htm

I always carry a 9 volt and a pad of steel wool when out and about :)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
If you can find the book titled 'One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey', it is a great read. The book is Proenneke's journal and contains some his photography. His story is amazing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had never viewed that before. I watched one and then noticed a 2007 video of someone there. If you look on the lake there are boats there now. When he was there he was alone, but now it appears the place is no longer solitude.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Of course, it's on YouTube (isn't everything?)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYJKd0rkKss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3NRdZ8J24Q

Very cool. I remember seeing this a number of years ago but didn't remember his name.
This man does have some good skills,very good with his hands.He is practicing more pioneer skills then what I'm speaking of.I'm talking of stone age skills so to speak.No steel.All of his tools come in real handy and if I were in a real survival situation I'd be glad to have any of em but in the wilderness you may find yourself without gun,auger or axe,no steel at all,then what?Those spoons can me made through coal burning though even more work and time.The logs could be shaped with a stone axe and or burning,even more time and work.It's better to have the tools but just as imortant to know what to do without them.I am going to look into this guys video though.I'd use the gun till I had a good bow and arrow set.then keep the gun for backup till i ran out of ammo,then maybe use the barrel for a blow gun or who knows what:)
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
there are four videos on his site and their 60 minutes each and three of them are 22 bucks and one is 17. he lived alone from 67 to 99 when he moved in with his brother in california where he died in 2003 a couple weeks short of 87 years old.born in 1916.
I wonder how much of his food he killed?Did he farm? the clip showed a bunch of condiments and said he had regular food shipments so where did he get his money to buy it?He was 51 when he went out there,too early to retire for most folks.Independently wealthy?Did he make things there and sell them for money?Furs?carvings? Thats why I like the stone age way,you need absolutely no money. Did he buy that property or can you just plop down anywhere in Alaska like in homestead days?He gave his cabin to the National Park Service and it is still there as a tourist attraction.I know the natives can legally kill enough for subsitence but could he?'m sure the full videos would answer many of these questions.What am I hitting on this keyboard that changes my type?????
Al

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I had read the wikipedia entry but thanks for the diary.I'll save the pdf file and read it.I wonder why he left society? Probably tired of the rat race.I hear they race in places besides NJ too.I'd love to live far enough away from my neighbors that I didn't have to hear their firecrackers and motorcycles.

Status
Not open for further replies.