Black Friday — 50 Years Ago II

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
One of the major Piney philosophies was: “If it ain’t broke, don’t ‘fix’ it!” You just didn’t mess around with something that was working OK. If it broke, you either fixed it yourself, or you got it repaired. You just didn’t go out and buy a new one, unless, of course, the cost of repairing the broken item was more than the cost of a new one. Even then, you just didn’t put it out on the trash heap: You put it in the “shed.” Repairable stuff went into “The Shop,” which was what the Pineys called their garage. Except in extreme weather, the cars were never put in the garage, because the “garage” was “The Shop.” That’s where all the tools were, and that's where Piney “Pop’s” spent most of the time, when they wern’t in the house, at work, or huntin’.

Back in the 40s, but more so in the 50s and 60s, TV sets came “packaged” in a wooden “cabinet,” which was actually a piece of furniture. Some of those sets were gigantic, although the picture tubes were quite small in comparison to today’s “Godzilla TVs.” Some sets were actually “entertainment centers” with self–contained, three–speed record changers, and an AM/FM radio, in addition to the TV. Of course, they also had a roomy, built–in cabinet to store those 33 and 78 rpms. When the TV “went,” you were usually left with a fully functioning record changer and AM/FM radio, since the transformer for those circuits was usually separate from the TV circuit. Because most of those built–in TVs couldn’t be replaced, the whole “entertainment center” wound–up in “The Shop.” The cabinetry was “gutted” of its electronics, and, with some scrap wood and a little bit of good, old Piney ingenuity, soon found a “second life” as a tool storage cabinet. The record changer and radio wound–up on a shelf, the transformer was put on an even higher shelf, and the speaker(s) were hung on the wall nearby. Piney Pop’s usually didn’t "spin" records, but they always had a radio in “The Shop.”

When RCA came–out with the first color sets, the “Haves” went “nuts” and bought a new “set” — never mind that most of the shows were still broadcast in good, ol’ B&W. Because their old “entertainment centers” were usually too big (or cumbersome) to put in “junior’s room” (usually on the second floor) those sets, still very “serviceable” made the “tour” and wound–up on the side of the road waiting for the trashmen. Piney “Have Nots” were always on the lookout for something that could be "recycled" or fixed, so the life of many a trashman’s back was prolonged...

Then there was “Grandpop.” “Grandpop,” who didn’t really seem to be related to anyone we knew, lived on the “outskirts” of “town,” but because the “town” was spread over such a wide area, the “outskirts” were not really “outskirts,” if you know what I mean... “Grandpop’s” place was unique. If you needed a bathtub or a toilet, or some parts, you went to “Grandpop’s” first. Quite often he had something that you could use — and very “reasonable,” too!

Old TV sets didn’t remain on the side of the roads very long. In short order, in almost any kind of weather, inevitably “Grandpop” would show up in his old, battered, red–and–grey pick–up (I later learned that the colors were attributable to the anti–rust primer he painted his truck with.). Usually he was alone, but sometimes he had a guy, locally known as “Slow Joe,” with him. ...and Joe was slow. They said, jokingly, I’m sure,:rolleyes: that only times Joe moved quickly was when there was a free lunch to be had. Some people said Joe, who had no socks, and didn’t wear underwear :D, carried a “bottle” with him in a brown, paper bag. I never saw it, if he did. He was always nice to us kids; He would show us how to whittle things and make whistles... Joe’s teeth were bad and stained, probably from “chewin’ tobaccy,” although we never saw him chewin’ or spittin’. We kids were always on the lookout for things like that. It was said that “Slow Joe” was one of the best deer trackers around, and come huntin’ season, some of the "fancy" gunnin’ clubs for the "out--of--towners," would hire Joe to be their guide. I don't know if that was true or not, but, in any case, come huntin’ season Joe was not to be found...

“Grandpop” took all of those old TV sets back to his place, and he’d “work” on ‘em. If you needed a “second set” for “junior,” “Grandpop” usually had one “in stock” for ten to thirty dollars. Those sets “Grandpop” couldn’t fix were “gutted.” If you wanted a cabinet, or a “desk” “Grandpop” always had something “in the back” for “a couple of bucks.”

When the TV set “went” out, you took the fibreboard back off the thing: That “unplugged” it, too, but Piney Pop’s had a “workaround,” and in short order the set was turned–on, and once the tubes had started to glow, each tube was tapped with a drumstick. It the picture screen “blinked,” you had a pretty good idea what the “culprit” was. The “errant” tube was “pulled,” and a visit to the drug store was the next stop... Not always! Sometimes no manner of “tapping” would get a response from the set, so all the tubes were pulled, and taken to the local drug store where they could be tested on some kind of a contraption they had standing in the corner. If you found a bad tube, the drugstore would sell you a new one for two to ten dollars.

Then there was “Grandpop”... He had one of them tube tester "thingies," too; and he’d test all your tubes, at any time for free. He had a large “stock” of tubes, too. “Grandpop” only charged a dime or a quarter for most of his tubes... When I was in high school, I wanted to build a Michaelson interferometer for my science project, but I needed a special sodium bulb (and transformer) for it. No one around had what I needed, let alone knew exactly what I was talking about. I happened to mention to “Grandpop” that I needed a ride to Philly to the Radioshack (not related to the modern, Tandy Corp. superstores) to buy a light bulb. “Grandpop” wanted to know all of the particulars, and when I told him I was missing the bulb and transformer for my project, he said he had one "in the back" — and he did, too! BTW: I never did get to finish that interferometer, because the school only permitted us three feet of table space!

When there wasn’t much to do, we kids “hung–out” a “Grandpop’s.” One day, I asked “Grandpop” how he knew how to fix what he was working on. Did he have any “special training” or “some kind of a ‘repair book’,” I queried. “Nope.” he said; and then he added, “It’s already ‘broke,’ so I can’t make it much worse than it already is.” “I figure,” he continued, “I’m just as smart as the guy that put it together.”

Come Christmas, some of the “Have Nots” were on “short schrift.” Enough food for the table, and warm clothing for the children were a constant worry. Funds were very low in some families, and there wasn’t any extra for gifts. Come late Christmas Eve, some people would hear some sleigh bells and some “Ho, ho, hos!” outside... The next morning, they awoke to find some cleaned and frozen squirrels or rabbits, or a big chunk of venison, all wrapped in butcher paper on the step, next to the milkbox. Alongside it was maybe a “new” bike for “junior” — or some other presents in gayly wrapped boxes. Some of it was “fixed” and made like new: Some of it was “store bought.” Oh, yeah, for each member of the family there would be a big sock filled with nuts, candy and an orange or two... Some definitely amazed “Have Nots” kids would tell of their visit by “Santa.” Only years later did I find–out who Santa’s “helper” was — “Grandpop.”

If “Grandpop” were alive today, he’d be an “Extreme Geek” — probably fixin’ and refurbishin’ computers; and makin’ robots, etc.

Last week, I received the newest issue of the “X-treme Geek” catalogue (Catalog No. X644–W1, Winter 2006), and besides all of the unique, computer– and electronics–related stuff, they offer some other “neat ‘n nifty” things like a “Brew Your own Root Beer Kit,” reusable “Super Snow” crystals (a 1 pound bag makes 11 gallons!); wacky, remote–controlled (rc) golf balls; a rc tarantula; a “Star Wars” version of “Mr. Potato Head” (“A Dark Tuber of the Sith, Darth Tater” and his loyal “Spudtrooper”: I’m not making this stuff up!); a “Survival Kit in a Sardine Can” (Can you get it packed in mustard sauce?):D; a “Digibaseball” that can measure your pitching speed up to 120 mph (!); Glow–in–the–Dark “Odd Pods” that sprout 20 varieties of cacti; two “Grow your own Meat–eating” plants kits to choose from; a LED Message Badge & Belt Buckle (9 scrolling speeds, 9 brightness levels, no computer required:D) that displays any message you want — up to 512 characters in length(!); Make; magazine ("technology for your time") — issue Nr. 7 contains an article “Hack Your Plants,” home mycology labs:D; want to get your mother–in–law to shorten her visit? Just buy a couple packages of “Roach–O–Rama” Mini, Wall–Walking Cockroaches (set of 3: FAKE); having “Trouble With Tribbles?” For the “budding bacteriologists” “Giant Microbes” stuffed toys — Salmonella, E. coli and Giardia among others.; for Behr’s dog, Skyler, there’s the “Snackshotz” Dog Treat Launcher that launches low–fat, “Discos” dog treats (beef, chicken or “mightymint”:D flavor) up to 12 feet (!), and for those who want to stay “one step ahead of the law,” there’s the fourth edition (October 2005) of the Pocket Partner (book) “Designed Specifically for Law Enforcement Officials": "Know What They Know” (“Learn to read the Miranda Rights in Spanish” — of particular use in The Pines:rofl:; “pick–up S.W.A.T. hand signals and learn the slang term for every narcotic known to man”) “An informed geek is a prepared geek!” Honest Injun!

Oh, Yeah. Their address: X-treme Geek, 11321 White Rock Road, Rancho Cordova, CA 95742, Tel.: 1.800.480.4335, URL: <www.x-tremegeek.com>.

ebsi

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Interesting reflections, Ebsi. It makes me even more curious as to what town you grew up in? I didn't get that question answered in the last post. I'm going to guess.....Mullica Twp, maybe near Elwood.

Jeff

Btw, what is with all the advertising?:)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Ha, ha :)

I think he has just found some things which he thinks are cool, and he feels the need to share them. But Ben should be getting a referral fee for the free advertising on his site!

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Ha, ha :)

I think he has just found some things which he thinks are cool, and he feels the need to share them.

Right--on, Boyd! Some of these things remind me of fun times long ago; some of these things are an expression of my rather inane (and "arcane") sense of humor...

Ben and Guy, and others, too, discuss, at length, elsewhere on this forum, the relative advantages/disadvantages of one type/make of computer, computer program, GPS "thingie" or whatever. D**l or Micros***ft, or what--/whomever gets free advertising this way, too!

But Ben should be getting a referral fee for the free advertising on his site!

Right, again, Boyd!

As I once read on a cocktail serviette: "Candy is dandy, but likker is quicker!" Money is nice ("Pecunia non olet!"), but it is also "...the root of all evil." Perhaps Ben might accept one of those "Darth Tuber, Mr. Potato Head" toys (requires no potato...:D:jeffd:)

http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=12452

or a packet or two of the wall--descending cockroaches:D

http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=13577

instead?

For Bobpbx, I found just the thing to grow some Gaultheria procumbens indoors!:D BTW: Those of you that do not have any cranberry or teaberry or whatever berry growing in your backyard, this might be better than trying to germinate seeds between a sheet of wet paper toweling and the wall of a Mason Jar, like we did when I was in grade school...

http://www.x-tremegeek.com/templates/searchdetail.asp?productID=12734

...just trying to be "Piney friendly"...

ebsi

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It would be great if we could keep things a little more Pine Barrens related on the site.

I thought the last 2 hints would have gotten through but now I guess I have to be blunt about it. Even though this is "General Discussion" the site recently has discussed all but the Pine Barrens. Let's keep things on track.

And, in the future, people should ask me before they post such blatant advertisements on my site.