Bog Bodies

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
i heard in my physical anthropology class that the anerobic environment in a bog can actually create mummified "bog bodies" and that they've found bodies apparently sacrificed and dumped by druids into bogs in ireland. (or was it scotland? can never keep them straight) anyway, i know we don't have druids here, but before the colonial settlers there were indians in this area for a long time, so is it possible that they could have somehow ended up dead in a bog and there could be bog bodies in the pine barrens?

anybody know anything at all about this?

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
...and if there's no indians or colonial settlers in there, there's gotta at least be some mobsters, right :v:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
WAMBA said:
...and if there's no indians or colonial settlers in there, there's gotta at least be some mobsters, right :v:

I remember a TV show one time where the mobster says..."what did youse do wit Joey?". The mobster says..."he took an underground vacation in the pine barrens"...LOL!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Regarding our own peat bogs, I think the underground water table may have something to do with why ours don't become as compressed. I saw it on a tv show a few months ago (about the guys found in England), but I forget the reason. It was water, or the sand bed, or acidity levels I think. I am pretty sure our bogs are a lot newer, perhaps formed in the past 10,000 years. I think that has something to do with it too.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
How interesting that you brought this up. When I was a kid growing up we had a book in the house called "The Bog People". It was about the european bog mummies you are referring to. It was very very creepy for a kid. I always wondered what happened to that book, so about three or four years ago I tracked it down at Barnes and Noble (used out of print) and man, it is still creepy! LOL. I have often wondered about what is preserved in the peat here in the barrens.

Now, I have spent a great deal of time fishing these bogs in waders and I have yet to find any bones human or otherwise. Maybe as Bob said, the water table is too high. There are spots where the peat just lies across a sand bottom, but sometimes it seems to be bottomless. It is very tricky, even a little dangerous in the bogs. Unpredictable.

Jeff

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
bobpbx said:
I remember a TV show one time where the mobster says..."what did youse do wit Joey?". The mobster says..."he took an underground vacation in the pine barrens"...LOL!
I never saw that one Bob but there was a Sopranos episode a couple years back where the tried to bury a guy in the pines but he got away. I'm still waiting for him to surface in one of the new episodes. They should of filmed it in the pines for more authenticity but they didn't. The two mobsters get lost, its freezing, and they are totally helpless, its actually pretty funny.
You can see rolling hills in the background at one point(it was filmed in the Palisades)

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
dangerous in the bogs

woodjin said:
There are spots where the peat just lies across a sand bottom, but sometimes it seems to be bottomless. It is very tricky, even a little dangerous in the bogs. Unpredictable.

Jeff

Last month I took a walk behind Martha and was on some swampy areas that were frozen. I was testing the ground with my hiking stick and at one point it post holed in through the ice as far as I could reach. Had I gone through... I know better than to do that, especially when hiking alone, but I got careless. Your warning is appreciated!

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
long-a-coming said:
I never saw that one Bob but there was a Sopranos episode a couple years back where the tried to bury a guy in the pines but he got away. I'm still waiting for him to surface in one of the new episodes. They should of filmed it in the pines for more authenticity but they didn't. The two mobsters get lost, its freezing, and they are totally helpless, its actually pretty funny.
You can see rolling hills in the background at one point(it was filmed in the Palisades)

That really annoyed me. Why the hell couldn't they have just driven two hours (not even) down the parkway to film that episode? Every self respecting South Jerseyan should have wrote a letter...lol BTW David Chase stated in an interview with the Star Ledger that no one will ever see the Russian or Adriana again. Of course, if the Russian was stumbling around in the woods at night, he could have fell into a bog and wal'la!

Badfish740 said:
That really annoyed me. Why the hell couldn't they have just driven two hours (not even) down the parkway to film that episode? Every self respecting South Jerseyan should have wrote a letter...lol BTW David Chase stated in an interview with the Star Ledger that no one will ever see the Russian or Adriana again. Of course, if the Russian was stumbling around in the woods at night, he could have fell into a bog and wal'la!

Its because to the TV folks, all of NJ looks the same and why should they pay the expense of being in the actual location. Could be worse, they could have filmed in southern CA like they did with the original Dukes of Hazzard tv show... only the pilot episode and part of the first season was filmed in GA... of course only those of us who grew up and lived in GA noticed.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Badfish740 said:
That really annoyed me. Why the hell couldn't they have just driven two hours (not even) down the parkway to film that episode?

Probably because they would have had to pony up a decent amount of dough to the DEP to get permission to do it.

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
entropysedge said:
Its because to the TV folks, all of NJ looks the same and why should they pay the expense of being in the actual location. Could be worse, they could have filmed in southern CA like they did with the original Dukes of Hazzard tv show... only the pilot episode and part of the first season was filmed in GA... of course only those of us who grew up and lived in GA noticed.

and what about harold and kumar, where they're supposed to be in cherry hill and they hang glide off a cliff over huge tracts of farmland where the only lit building for miles is the white castle :bs:

or, for that matter, zoolander when he goes home to "the coal mines of south jersey"

we're being misrepresented all throughout the entertainment industry!

WAMBA said:
and what about harold and kumar, where they're supposed to be in cherry hill and they hang glide off a cliff over huge tracts of farmland where the only lit building for miles is the white castle :bs:

or, for that matter, zoolander when he goes home to "the coal mines of south jersey"

we're being misrepresented all throughout the entertainment industry!

There's a White Castle in Cherry Hill?

What's sad is that the general public will believe what they see on tv is how things really are.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Our Druids:

http://www.redoakgrove.org/
Nyfed Dar Goch : Red Oak Grove

The nearest White Castle is in Tom's River. The Cherry Hill turnpike exit is, I believe, in Mount Laurel. There was a Pine Barrens scene in that movie too. I can't even imagine what location they used as most of the movie was filmed in Canada.

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
entropysedge said:
There's a White Castle in Cherry Hill?

i actually heard that they're putting one there because of the movie. don't know if its true or not though. when that movie first came out there was a review that actually did a geographical analysis of how far off it was from reality.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
At the time, the movie "FALLEN" a very dark... Denzel Washington movie,
Had filmed it's city footage in Philly and it's Pine's footage right in Bel Haven lake campground and surrounding area. Bel Haven was one of my customers at the time and turned the production company on to me. I sold all the temp electrical for the entire Bel Haven site footage ( $$$$$$ )
Great footage and had Donald Sutherland and John Goodman in the scenes, but sadly connected to an ugly concept. A portrayal nonetheless

G.