Bombing Range Road

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
Sometimes mapmakers do this to see if others in the map making business are simply copying their work instead of doing their own homework. Maps are full of mistakes which arent really mistakes at all.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sometimes mapmakers do this to see if others in the map making business are simply copying their work instead of doing their own homework. Maps are full of mistakes which arent really mistakes at all.

You have been quiet for a while. Nice to see you posting.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That is a standard explanation for this type of thing, but not likely in this case. The Census Bureau has maintained the "TIGER" digital maps for many years now, and since they are free to use they are the basis of many maps including Garmin's US Topo and my own Map of New Jersey. See: http://www.census.gov/geo/www/tiger/index.html

The TIGER file identifies that road as "Bombing Range Road" and I'm quite sure that's the origin of the name on Google Maps. At different times, Google has used both Teleatlas and Navteq (the two largest commercial providers) as the source of their map data. But now they are creating their own proprietary map database, and it too originated with the TIGER files.

So I don't know if there was ever a bombing range, or if it's just a mistake, but the name can be traced back to the Census Bureau.

Not the one for Warren Grove. This one is located south of RT 9 within the Bass River SF boundary in the marshes east of Oak Island. Anyone know if there was ever an actual bombing range there or is it just a mislabled road?

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.58607837631986&lng=-74.40357685089111&z=15&type=p&gpx=

46er:

The New Jersey Mosquito Control Commission annual report for 1956 referred to this portion of the coastal marshes as “Bombing Range Meadows” and, presumably, the fighters operating out of Warren Grove used this area as a bombing range, especially during the Second World War. This, of course, was prior to the building of the Mystic Island development and the more recent collective mindset of the meadows and their importance to the local ecology.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

KOTP:

The cartographic publishing industry refer to these fake or ghost roads as “trap streets” as their purpose is to “trap” any firms or individuals engaging in intentional copyright infringement, as you suggest above.

If you use the term as a search string, there are a number of websites that discuss the practice.

I think I may have discussed these false map features once before on the forums, but I cannot find the thread at the moment.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er:

The New Jersey Mosquito Control Commission annual report for 1956 referred to this portion of the coastal marshes as “Bombing Range Meadows” and, presumably, the fighters operating out of Warren Grove used this area as a bombing range, especially during the Second World War. This, of course, was prior to the building of the Mystic Island development and the more recent collective mindset of the meadows and their importance to the local ecology.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks Jerseyman. Perhaps that is the reason for so many crater like round areas out there. Makes you wonder if there is anything that might still go BOOM.

Thanks Jerseyman. Perhaps that is the reason for so many crater like round areas out there. Makes you wonder if there is anything that might still go BOOM.

46er:

It would not surprise me at all that unspent ordnance still lies within the marsh. About two years ago, an employee with NJDEP contacted me concerning all of the different proving grounds and ranges that once existed within southern New Jersey. He was collaborating with the Army Corps of Engineers to clean up the unexploded shells and bombs. I had hoped to derive some billable work from this effort, but it all came to naught. Oh, well—such is life!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er:

It would not surprise me at all that unspent ordnance still lies within the marsh. About two years ago, an employee with NJDEP contacted me concerning all of the different proving grounds and ranges that once existed within southern New Jersey. He was collaborating with the Army Corps of Engineers to clean up the unexploded shells and bombs. I had hoped to derive some billable work from this effort, but it all came to naught. Oh, well—such is life!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I'm sure you have heard of the fiasco with the Army Corp and the sand replenishment program for LBI. They sucked up so much ordinance with the sand the beaches had to be closed and land mine removal equipment brought in to attempt to clean it up. They are still finding stuff.