Bourbon

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bourbon is my favorite drink after beer. I was introduced to it by a co-worker at a quaint New York City Bar.

Here's an interesting article about how they make Makers Mark, my favorite bourbon.

What's interesting to me is that the distillery is over 100 years old, and for the most part, the process of distilling bourbon has pretty much gone unchanged.

I'm trying to think of Jersey breweries, and really the only one that jumps out at me is Lairds in Colts Neck. They're famous for Applejack -- which I have yet to try.

I'm trying to think of Jersey breweries, and really the only one that jumps out at me is Lairds in Colts Neck. They're famous for Applejack -- which I have yet to try.

Ben:

I presume you mean “distilleries” and not “breweries” here, since it requires a distillery to produce spirits and a brewery to produce alcohol from yeast-induced fermentation from grain. The Laird Distillery is a landmark in New Jersey. During the nineteenth century, there were two Laird brothers: one chose to pursue the distilling business and the other opened hotels along the Jersey coast. Some years ago a good friend met a descendant of the hotel owner, and the man lamented that his ancestor did not join his brother in producing spirits—particularly from Jersey apples!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
I enjoy bourbon too, but more so in the cooler months. The brand I drink depends on the drink I'm making.

For a good Old Fashioned, try Bulleit Bourbon. For Manhattans, I use Knob Creek or Wild Turkey. You need something a little rough around the edges for a Manhattan (so the vermouth can calm it down a little), so the edgier bourbons work better. I tend to use orange bitters rather than angostura, but either one is fine.

Jim Beam black is worthy of consideration as well. The Evan Williams Single Barrels are a great buy if you like to drink it up or on the rocks.

I'm getting thirsty just thinking about it....

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I presume you mean “distilleries” and not “breweries” here

Right you are!

When it comes to Bourbon my favorite is actually not a Bourbon but sour mash. Jack Danial's is the ticket. If you like it smoother try Gentleman Jack by J.D. Very nice!

After getting a taste for Makers (and Michters Rye, as well) JD (at least the plain variety) has gotten incredibly easy for me to drink. Give me some JD and a glass with ice and I'm a happy camper.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Now we're talkin'!
Granddad on the rocks is my favorite. Reasonabely priced and good.
Makers Mark is very good too.
I went to a trade dinner last week and there was an open bar. I spotted the Makers red wax bottle top from 60 yards away and I was all over it. Free is always good.
I don't really care for regular Jack but Gentleman Jack is excellent.

Laird's Apple Jack on the rocks was a favorite of mine when I used to hang in the Gibbsboro Tavern as a forlorn youngster.
That brings back some memories. I think I will get some this weekend.
http://www.lairdandcompany.com/index2.htm

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I used to drink jack until I discovered Irish Whisky. John Power's is my drink of choice now. Not to be confused with my cousin John Power. Ya gotta love a whisky that has your last name on the bottle.

andy1015

Explorer
May 4, 2007
i enjoy both jack adn irish whiskey. Actually did a taste test between 12 year jameson that my girlfriend brough back from ireland and single barrel jack one step up from gentleman. both good but got to say the jack was smoother. There is nothing wrong with any jack in my opion. Also tullamore dew is very smooth.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I used to drink jack until I discovered Irish Whisky. John Power's is my drink of choice now. Not to be confused with my cousin John Power. Ya gotta love a whisky that has your last name on the bottle.

I am an Irish whiskey fan myself, although I still enjoy scotch as well. Irish seems sweeter to me, and makes a great punch if you don't feel like sippin'. Never was much of a sour mash guy.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Laird's Apple Jack on the rocks was a favorite of mine when I used to hang in the Gibbsboro Tavern as a forlorn youngster.
That brings back some memories. I think I will get some this weekend.
http://www.lairdandcompany.com/index2.htm

I grew up a few miles from the Lairds Applejack distillery. Didn't get it any cheaper though. I lost alot of teenage brain cells on that stuff. That and Mohawk blackberry brandy.

Jeff

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
Has anyone heard of this one, Old Overholt straight rye whiskey. It can not be found in Jersey. I had to go to Delaware to find it. It is served in the Absinth House on Bourbon Street in New Orleans. (hope I spelled this great establishment correctly) It reads on the lable that it was established 150 years ago, distilled in Kentucky by A. Overholt & Co. I think I will google search the company and see what I come up with.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Rye was primarily made in New York State. Prohibition destroyed the industry.

There's a few major rye's out there - Wild Turkey and Michters being the two big ones. There's a new distillery in New York State that's trying to bring back rye production to the area - Hudson Manhattan Rye. It's *alright*, but not my favorite:

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2007/05/hudson_manhatta.php

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Oh, if Wild Turkey is a rye then I have certainly tasted some. And if they all taste like that I have tasted enough. :)

Rye was primarily made in New York State. Prohibition destroyed the industry.

There's a few major rye's out there - Wild Turkey and Michters being the two big ones. There's a new distillery in New York State that's trying to bring back rye production to the area - Hudson Manhattan Rye. It's *alright*, but not my favorite:

http://www.coolhunting.com/archives/2007/05/hudson_manhatta.php

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
lairds i believe is still located in colts neck but they dont make the hooch there anymore. its sad because to me new jersey apples along with the tomatoes are still the the best in the world taste wise.