Burlington Island and Jessup's Grove

Thanks for the information and the pics.

EDITED as I answered my own question. :)

I really appreciated the pics as I have never seen or heard of that island.

Thank you.

Offabit:

Now that I have a few minutes, I was just logging in to answer your question about the extent of the Pine Barrens, but I notice you have edited your post and indicated you have answered itself—good for you!

In your original, unedited message, you also appeared to be wondering why a thread about Burlington Island appeared on forums about the NJ Pine Barrens. Well, occasionally threads on these forums either begin outside the Pine Barrens—such as this thread—or will start within the Pine Barrens and then stray to other localities. One of the more popular threads in which I participated covered American War for Independence activities during 1777 in the area of Haddonfield, Mount Ephraim, Gloucester, Bellmawr, Runnemede, Deptford, Woodbury, and National Park. You’ll find it in the Archaeology Arena Forum.

None of these communities can be considered in the Pine Barrens, yet it was a lively exchange. So, since you are a newbie, I want to convey to you with the preceding information that the NJ Pine Barrens forums are a veritable potpourri of subject matter. While the primary thrust of the forums and the other sections of Ben’s website is, indeed, the Pine Barrens, he and Guy are quite patient and longsuffering concerning such variations and you will often find the forums’ compass needle deviating a bit towards other points on the Jersey landscape.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Offabit

Dec 9, 2008
Moorestown
Thanks Jerseyman. I am happy to hear that, actually. The areas I am most familiar with are the ones you mentioned (Haddonfield, Moorestown, etc.). I enjoy the history of all the regions in west, south Jersey and the pinelands.

I grew up just outside Bellmawr and Runnemede in the little town of Barrington- best known for its bar, the Rail (the old Hotche's).

Anyway- I keep hijacking threads without meaning to.

The Burlington Island information is much appreciated, particularly because I don't live too far from that area.

Thanks for your time.

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
WOW great stuff Jerseyman, I had been reading all I could about Burlington Island for the past twenty years, I dont recall ever seeing any of your pics and that 1938 areal was a huge revelation for all my assumptions through the years, much appreciated.
I have also canoed and walked around the island a few years ago and would not hesitate to do it again, and I would love to go fishing in that lake as it looks pristine.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
A Friend at work has fished it and says it is fairly deep with some real nice bass in it . I'd love to get my canoe in there , How hard is it to portage it off the river?

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
I am now in touch with the widow of the island's caretaker of 45 years if anyone has questions. I will find out the years involved.

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
"How hard is it to portage it off the river" would be easy from the PA side but a bit of a haul from the Burlington side, certain to be worth any effort I am sure.

4x4Jim

Scout
Jan 20, 2006
Jerseyman:

The reason I ask about Jessups Grove is because I metal detect as a hobby and since most all of the PB's are off limits always looking for places that hold history. IE Burlinton Island. Jessup's Grove was in Glassboro, There is a museum or library that had a poster for Jessup's grove from the earlt 1900's where hundreds of people gathered for event's and there was also some sort of lake? Sorry for the limited info. As for Burlington Island, Id like to take a trip out there when the weather warms, hopefully there won't be a hassle being on the island, Im an avid Saltwater fisherman but the lake looks like it holds potential. Also strange how so many of us on here are from the same area (Grew up in Haddon Heights) Now living in westville right by the river. Can't wait to get the yak out soon and explore some of the jerseyside shorlines only accessable by boat.

TheBronzeMan

Dec 9, 2007
Thanks 4x4Jim,

I've too have been on that island many times before.

It's pretty amazing how nature has taken over the island and with the exception of the big gravel pit on the southern end of the island you'd be hard pressed to find signs of civilization.

Again, thanks for the enlightening write-up.

TheBronzeMan

don

May 27, 2009
burlington
HELLO,
I'm new to this site and have info for questions asked about burlington island. The island was basicly divided in half, part controlled by city council, south end, and part board of island managers, north end. As of about a year ago the board has gained total control of the island with a lease deal.
Direction is no longer a problem and the board already has a developer in the final phases of a program, the idea is a Longwood Gardens base with buildings similar to Williamsburg as a please touch walk thru, fort, indian village, quaker farm, trading post, dancing fountains, concert hall swimming, canoeing and so on.
As for fish, the lake is full of big mouth bass, large catfish and huge carp. I have caught 2 of the three, no carp, what I did catch was about 16 to 18" long.
You are allowed on the south half of the island since it is now GREEN ACRES which includes the lake, other half of island is posted as private.
There are no wild dogs on the island, I am over there every weekend cutting trails and paths around the lake with mowers, been doing it each summer for 2 years now. The idea of the paths and trails is to make it easier and safer for people to enjoy the area, but please do it responsible, thank you.
Any other questions you can contact me at my yahoo address of e5sgtrhino

HELLO,
I'm new to this site and have info for questions asked about burlington island.

Direction is no longer a problem and the board already has a developer in the final phases of a program, the idea is a Longwood Gardens base with buildings similar to Williamsburg as a please touch walk thru, fort, indian village, quaker farm, trading post, dancing fountains, concert hall swimming, canoeing and so on.

Don:

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the clarification on the wild dogs. I can then only presume that the multiple pawprints I saw on the beach during my visit came from folks who go boating with their pets. I am aware of virtually everything else you posted except for the fishing, which does not interest me.

I do hope the Board of Island Managers and its designated developer engage the services of qualified professional historians, architectural historians, and archaeologists when they begin the design phase of their work for the island’s redevelopment plan. Some of the planned facilities leave me quaking in my boots, such as the “fort,” the “Indian Village,” and the “trading post.” If they don’t elicit the aid of bonafide individuals, this will be more like “Bonzo at Disneyland” instead of a proper, historically accurate, learning environment. I wait with both anticipation and a deep sense of dred about what might be constructed out there. I do hope everyone knows what they are doing.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
please touch walk thru, fort, indian village, quaker farm, trading post, dancing fountains, concert hall swimming, canoeing and so on.

I think I have their first album on vinyl. It was called, "Toot-Toot - All Aboard for CRAZY TOWN". I enjoy listening to it wearing my, "Bad Idea Jeans" and tasering myself.

BruceClark

Aug 14, 2009
100 Years Ago This Month

Exactly 100 years ago this month, my late grandfather (when he was a lad), made it into the local newspaper by swimming non-stop around Burlington Island!

Here is the newspaper report:
----------------------------

"Bristol’s Champion Swimmer"

If there is any young man in the towns along the Delaware river who believes that he is a champion long distance swimmer we would like to know his name and match him against a modest Bristol youngster, whom we believe is the sturdiest swimmer in this section. We have reference to Andrew Clark, son of Robert Clark, of Radcliffe street.

Last Saturday afternoon Andrew proved his ability as a human fish by swimming around Burlington Island, one-half of the stretch being a battle with the strong tide.

The feat was a remarkable one, the distance traveled being about five miles and was accomplished without a stop in two hours and forty-five minutes.

News item in the Bucks County Gazette of Aug 1909
----------------------------------------------------

And here is an image of the William E. Doron ferry:

picture.php

Bruce:

Welcome aboard and thanks for the information about your great-grandfather! That was quite a feat, to be sure!! The Delaware River had quite a reputation when it came to swimming. In Riverton, swimmers regularly dove off the steamboat/yacht club pier and swam down to Philadelphia in competitive distance races. Even scheduled women’s races occurred! Numerous beaches for human water rats once lined the river on both the Pennsylvania and New Jersey shores. Up in Bristol, you had Maple Beach; other beaches included Echo Beach in Cornwell Heights, Pa; the beaches in Beverly Cove and along the Delanco riverfront near White Sheet Bay on the Jersey side; Riverton; Pea Shore at Fish House Cove, where Fishtowners would bath; Gloucester Beach in Gloucester City, NJ; and many more too numerous to mention.

I particularly appreciate your image of the diminutive Billy Doron ferryboat with the stern of a river steamer headed upriver towards the beach and pier of Burlington Island. It appears the steamer is the Columbia, but I can’t be certain.

Thanks again for a great first post and I hope you come back often!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

BruceClark

Aug 14, 2009
Wow - fast replies!

Hello Jerseyman and Pinelandpaddler!

I didn't expect such a quick response - or any response at all....

One clarification, Jerseyman - it was my grandfather (Andrew Clark) who was the swimmer, although my great-grandfather (Robert Clark) was also mentioned in the article. I do remember my grandfather from when I was a child, I believe he died in 1964 when I was 11.

I happened to be scanning some old family negatives, which led to an internet search for the ferry, which led me to an article commemorating the 100th anniversary of the swim! I knew about the feat, and I have the article clipped out somewhere - but I didn't know the date. As happens all too often, a family clips out an article without documenting the date or where it came from. I was shocked to find it was exactly 100 years ago this month. An interesting coincidence that I came across that today.

And, no, I don't have the swimming skills that my grandfather had! I'll have to dig out our family tree info to find out just how young Andrew would have been. Andrew's name lives on - our son is Andrew Clark III - named for my father and his father - the swimmer!