Buzby's is up for sale.....

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
just heard that Marilyn is retiring and she is selling the place. Whomever buys will have big shoes to fill, not saying Marilyn has big feet, but you know what I mean.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yeah, she told me about it a month ago. She said she wasn't listing it yet so I didn't mention it. It will be a shame to see her leave her post at Buzby's. She said she is just ready to retire.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
[QUOTEIt would be best served as a luncheonette deal I would think....sandwiches, coffee, fishing tackle, maybe a pump out front.][/QUOTE]

I wonder if that was the case if it would get enough traffic through the doors to turn a profit and keep it open. It would be cool to see it as a true general store again.

I would like to see the Bamber Lake general store open again as it was when I was a kid, I miss that place.

Chris

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I would like to see the Bamber Lake general store open again as it was when I was a kid, I miss that place.
Chris

General store would be nice. I know the VFW is right there, but I think it'd be a neat stop for a beer if a liquor license was available. Anything than just rotting away like it is.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
[QUOTEIt would be best served as a luncheonette deal I would think....sandwiches, coffee, fishing tackle, maybe a pump out front.]

I wonder if that was the case if it would get enough traffic through the doors to turn a profit and keep it open. It would be cool to see it as a true general store again.

Chris[/quote]

Marilyn had subleased a portion, of the store, maybe a year or so ago, to a couple for food service. It did not last long, not sure of the reason though.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I had wildlife mangement at RU Cook in 1980 with Professor Len Wolgast and I had to work the deer check station there as part of the course. We got to pick our station and I chose Buzby's. We worked along side the biologists and helped log in and age the deer.
It was a hopping joint back then, especially during shotgun week.

That class was the best I ever had in college. The semester ended with a wild game cook-up with dove, pheasant, deer and other earthly critter vittles.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I had wildlife mangement at RU Cook in 1980 with Professor Len Wolgast and I had to work the deer check station there as part of the course. We got to pick our station and I chose Buzby's. We worked along side the biologists and helped log in and age the deer.
It was a hopping joint back then, especially during shotgun week.

That class was the best I ever had in college. The semester ended with a wild game cook-up with dove, pheasant, deer and other earthly critter vittles.

I enjoyed that class as well, especially getting to play with Lenny's herd of beagles and labs, but others are in the running for my best. Entomology for Anglers, and Roger Locandro's Interesting and Edible Meats, and Interesting and Edible Plants all would compete for my favorite. Field trips in Roger's plant class were my first introduction to the Pine Barrens.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
It's a romantic notion, but I wouldn't underestimate the challenge of making any money on a place like that. Depends on the initial capital investment and debt costs, naturally. It's small, it doesn't have much parking, and other than on certain festival days tourist traffic is fairly light.

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Marilyn had subleased a portion, of the store, maybe a year or so ago, to a couple for food service. It did not last long, not sure of the reason though.

They did turn a profit (and the food was good), but I heard a couple of different reasons why they didn't renew the lease. When I saw the sign up that Buzby's is for sale, my first thought was that I hoped that couple would buy it.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I know, I've thought of that. The thought of working in that old store though, editing my prints just drives me wild!

If the capital requirements are low and you can support the debt, then no reason why you couldn't own it for the personal satisfaction, and set up and sell your prints and whatnot inside. I suspect Marilyn paid as much into that place as she ever took out of it in monthly cash flow.