Campers at Columbus?

foofoo

Explorer
Sep 14, 2003
TeeGate said:
Is that a negative comment or a positive one? :confused:

Guy
you dont get much first hand accounts of days gone by. i love to hear em all. so all positive. i never get bored of stories from the pines.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sean Barry said:
We moved to 232 Mountwell Avenue in Haddonfield, on the corner of Overhill Road and Mountwell. Our house was about midway between Warwick Road and Chews Landing Road (I can't believe I remember this stuff--I last saw that house on November 23, 1965 and I only remember that because it was my birthday).
Sean Barry

I go by that house all the time. That is the cut through road from Warwick to Chews Landing road that I use when I am in that area. Haddonfield is putting up speed bumps all over the town to try to slow people down in that area.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
foofoo said:
you dont get much first hand accounts of days gone by. i love to hear em all. so all positive. i never get bored of stories from the pines.

Sweet... I was worried there for a moment! :dance:

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sean, I know I owe you that photo, please bear with me. I am going through an excrutiatingly painful divorce with the kids starting college at the same time. It seems every evening I am either defending myself from an assault on my integrity or trying to figure out college bills etc.

Hopefully tomorrow evening..........bob

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Bob--

You take whatever time you need, and if that's a year or two that's more than OK. I'm watching someone very close to me go through exactly the same ordeal and it's given more insight than I hoped not ever to have. First things first.

Let me say to everyone that I am amazed and touched by the hospitality displayed by this forum--so much of the "web" is a waste of time and energy, but I can definitely say I found a gem amongst all that in this forum, and in a real sense I feel as though I've come home again (that's home, not backwards--I know the difference). I think I'll be here a long while.

Sean

bobpbx said:
Sean, I know I owe you that photo, please bear with me. I am going through an excrutiatingly painful divorce with the kids starting college at the same time. It seems every evening I am either defending myself from an assault on my integrity or trying to figure out college bills etc.

Hopefully tomorrow evening..........bob

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where exactly was it in relationship to the swiming area where we ended our canoe trip after crossing the dam?

Guy

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Yup, that's it. The photo was taken from the road between the cub and senior villages, with the photographer's back to the cub village. Dead ahead in the distance is the assembly hall, to its left either the mess hall or another building where they did crafts sorts of things (I'm pretty sure the mess hall is actually not in the picture--it was closer to the road). Note the boxing rink between the gate and the assembly hall--every Friday night the boys who had developed grudges during the previous week were invited (not required) to duke it out (with gloves and ear protection but no mouth guards). I seem to recall lasting about seven seconds in the ring (there were no knockouts but there were lots of retirees). The building to the immediate left of the gate was the camp store, where I had my first Squirt and my first Turkish Taffy (tip: refrigerate your Turkish Taffy before trying to eat it during the summer). I think the building to the immediate right of the gate was a senior village cabin. I even remember the naked spot in the footpath by the cabin. That tuft of grass...

Geez, does this ever bring back memories.

Thanks Bob, thanks so much

Sean

bobpbx said:
Welcome to Camp Columbus Kids. Watch out for the rattlers in the showers, bathrooms, dining hall, sleeping quarters, and camp store.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10011/WelcomeA.JPG

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
The dam and swimming area were up the road--the photographer who procured Bob's picture was facing the senior village, and the dam was probably 1/4 mile, maybe a little more, to his right, along the road on which he is standing.

There was also lake access via a small open in the trees at the far end of the cub village. On days when they had boating as an available activity (2-3 times per week, and there was always a waiting list), that's where we launched. The advantage to being in the cub village was that there was lots more wildlife around--deer often came through in the evening (in the days when deer weren't 150 pound urban rats in the east), we found a few snakes and lizards about (including the aforementioned rattler in the shower, plus another rattler alongside a cabin a couple of years before I was first there). We also had a purple martin house across the clearing, and always wondered why we never saw purple martins. One evening I looked up there just in time to see a flying squirrel launch out. The naturalist looked the next day and discovered a veritable flying squirrel commune.

The advantage to being in the senior village was that it was way cool. And that's where the naturalist lived.

It was always a dilemma for me...

Sean

TeeGate said:
Where exactly was it in relationship to the swiming area where we ended our canoe trip after crossing the dam?

Guy

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
I just started remembering the camp song, which we sang every night before taps (the camp had a definite military undertone, but I think that was common in boys' camps at the time):

Hail Oh Hail, Camp Columbus
In the Jersey pines
Boys will wander here forever
Hail Columbus hail

As we go along life's journey
We will think of you
And the fun we had at Bamber
Hail Columbus, Hail

(I also remember the melody, which I could replicate on the guitar and post as a sound file sometime). I don't know who wrote the song, but I'd think that Mr. Callahan had something to do with it. We also sang the usual variety of camp songs, but for some reason all I remember us singing at night was "I've got sixpence."

I'm not 100% certain about the very last line in the camp song and I also think it's possible there was another verse, but all the rest is suddenly crystal clear. Clean living, I guess.

Sean

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
The mess hall is indeed in the photo, but it barely shows just past the camp store to the left of the gate (far in the distance). It was the only building with a high-pitched roof, possibly a second story in the rear. That building to the immediate left of the assembly hall was used for crafts. The archery range (a few round stuffed targets nicely set up as I recall) was behind that building. I need to catch up on my archery. The last time I shot at a range was in 1965.

Also, it's possible that the third line of the second verse of the camp song was actually

and the friends we made at Bamber

which makes a little more contextual sense but is still my second choice as my memory is currently working (or not). I can't believe I remember this stuff at all. It happened when I was nine. I'm 55.

Sean

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I've been reading this thread with great interest and amusement!! Bob, when you get a chance you ought to take a photo of the camp site as it is today. That is a very cool photo and it is even more amazing that you (Bob) were able to obtain it.

Sean, I love reading your recollections of C.C. The Camp Columbus song really stuck with you huh? It is funny how those things get inbedded in the memory.

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
woodjin said:
Sean, I love reading your recollections of C.C. The Camp Columbus song really stuck with you huh? It is funny how those things get inbedded in the memory. Jeff

I'm reading Seans memories and getting teary-eyed. He makes my mind bring up the things I remember too, growing up in Presidential Lakes in the 60's. He talks about that tuft of grass. We ran barefoot all summer then. I mean really. To put shoes on in September felt strange. Our feet bottoms were like leather, and the paths throughout the Lakes were well know and well tread; sandy bottomed and cool to the touch (or warm depending where you were). I have that vivid memory of stubbing my toe on a little pine root knob on the way to the store one day. Used to go down and get preztel rods for a penny. Would lick the salt off first.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
We all have those memories. When I was younger, I would raid the change jar for pennies and go down to the S&P (I think) sub shop with my mother in Wall Township and buy Bazooka Gum for $0.02 a piece. This was before I was in Kindergarden.

I also remember having my first "Wax Bottle" candy at Allaire. I dunno if you were supposed to chew the wax or not - I never did. It was too gross.

Sean Barry said:
Note the boxing rink between the gate and the assembly hall--every Friday night the boys who had developed grudges during the previous week were invited (not required) to duke it out (with gloves and ear protection but no mouth guards).

Sean

Ahh, those were the days. Today, lawyers would be called in to settle the dispute.

I too enjoy reading your posts Sean. They bring up my memories of Cub Scout and Boy Scout camps through the years growing up. As a Cub Scout we would camp in Medford at Camp Matollionequay (or was it Ockanickon). We slept in cabins that, if I recall, had a half wall of log and the rest was screen. We were across the lake from a Girl Scout camp called Inawendiwin. One time we crossed the rickety old bridge to raid the Girl Scout camp and were actually somewhat relieved that there was no one there LOL. As a Boy Scout we camped at many places but the main annual camp was Pine Hill. This was great because there were many different Troops there so it added for some great shinanigans (sp). I also remember thinking we were in the middle of nowhere while we were there.
Unfortunately my memories are not as crisp as yours Sean. Probably due to not so clean living. LOL.
Keep the stories coming.

Steve

bruset said:
We all have those memories. When I was younger, I would raid the change jar for pennies and go down to the S&P (I think) sub shop with my mother in Wall Township and buy Bazooka Gum for $0.02 a piece. This was before I was in Kindergarden.

I also remember having my first "Wax Bottle" candy at Allaire. I dunno if you were supposed to chew the wax or not - I never did. It was too gross.

There's the age difference. Bazooka was a penny when I was a kid. I don't even know if they still sell it like that but I bet it would be at least a nickle now.
And yes, you were supposed to chew the wax. The wax itself had now taste so if you drank the juice it wasn't worth it. I would just pop the whole thing in my mouth and chew. The flavor didn't last long at all so the wax would get spit out in short order.

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Bob actually acquired another photo of Camp Columbus showing all of the attendees of the year that appears to be 1965. The photo was in two half's so I stitched them together for him. The photo had a few flaws in it so I also did my best to improve it for you. Bob gave me permission to upload them.

normal_Camp_Columbus.jpg

normal_Kids_Complete.jpg

To view the full photo's you may want to download them to your drive from the below link by clicking on the photo's as they show.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=451

If you look closely at the photo's it appears to me there are at least two females in it. One apparently is one of the wives of a counselor, and the other appears to be a young girl.

Thanks for passing these along Bob. And Sean I hope they bring back some more memories to share with us.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
As for the guy named callahan, was he a priest? I know there was a mgsr. callahan at st. rose church in haddon heights. He died recently but maybe he was the guy you are referring to. I saw the crosses in the background of that photo and thought maybe he could have been the guy. Also that is awesome that they had a boxing ring. I know that is the way I use to settle my disputes when I was young(unfortunately sometimes still do). Kids are such babies lately, a little fighting would do them some good.

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
BEHR655 said:
Ahh, those were the days. Today, lawyers would be called in to settle the dispute.

I too enjoy reading your posts Sean. They bring up my memories of Cub Scout and Boy Scout camps through the years growing up. As a Cub Scout we would camp in Medford at Camp Matollionequay (or was it Ockanickon). We slept in cabins that, if I recall, had a half wall of log and the rest was screen. We were across the lake from a Girl Scout camp called Inawendiwin. <snip>
Steve

Camp Inawendawin also carries some memories. My sister was a Brownie/Girl Scout and went to Inawendawin at least two summers. The first time we dropped her off I found a spotted turtle nearby (my first). My parents were adamant that I had enough animals and other responsibilities and the camp environs were prominently posted as being a wildlife refuge, so I left the lovely little turtle there (and it could still be alive). A few months after my sister's last summer stay there, she and my mother went to the camp for a mother-daughter bonding for a weekend in February 1965 (I was a high school freshman). My father, my younger brother, and I decided to have our own bonding weekend and we went down to Baltimore (what was the Baltimore restaurant that had art plastered everywhere and all sorts of game on the vast menu? Sh something?), Annapolis, and Washington. DC. Those photos I do have. While we were gone a couple of students at my high school were driving much too fast along Chews Landing Road in Haddonfield and were killed when they hit a tree. That news awaited us when we returned Sunday night, and later that evening my father started complaining of a very sudden onset massive headache. None of us knew it at the time (and neither did the art and science of medicine), but that very likely was the "first-bleeding" harbinger of the massive cerebral hemmorhage (aneurysm rupture) that killed him in minutes on April 28. I still remember that my mother and sister arrived home from Inawendawin while he was having that headache--he was virtually helpless and my mother was quite alarmed. Later it dissipated (the bleeding stopped but the artery was ready to go at any time). These days there are a few treatments for people who have experienced the first bleed but not the rupture, something I have read a great deal about over the years. It's odd and interesting how these memories juxtapose.

Thanks to all of you for your own memories. They give real dimension to mine.

Sean