Campers at Columbus?

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Even more memories

Hikes: The ghost factory, ghost trestle, Indian Horse shoe, Huckleberry Island and Piney Beach (the next beach on the lake, visible from the water front).
Boating on the lake and the water fights between boats. Archery up behind the Callahan's house and Shop where you learned to make a lanyerd (I think the spelling is correct) using the box stitch, diamond stitch or barrel stitch. More to come. John

J

jackgranelli

Arts & Crafts

LANYARDS!!! ?I think that's how you spell it?

But, it was the one project that you had to make before you went home otherwise you were a nobody!

And John, you quoted all 3 styles!!!!! I tried a couple of years ago to make one to hold a whistle for a soccer team I was helping coach but was only partially successful, couldn't make the transition where you enclosed the lanyard so it slid to make it shorter or longer. Ah, where is Camp Columbus when you need it!!!!!!

One more thing to throw out - does anyone remember the evening activities? One that sticks in my mind were singing sessions......

J

jackgranelli

Activities, continued......

Sorry, got timed out!

...... "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" with campers divided into 3 sections, each singing a succeding verse.

...... And the ever favorite "ALOUETTE"

More to come, I'm sure,

Jack

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Evening in the Rec Hall

"Old Mcdonald had a dog and Bingo was his name O, B-I-N-G-O repeat 3 times and Bingo was his name".
"I've got six pence, jolly jolly six pence, I've got six pence to last me all my life".
Those two songs come to mind along with an occasional movie (I remember the Globe Trotters Story being one) At night was when you saw the snakes, snapping turtles etc. that were caught by the staff. Some times they would play games like truth or consequences where they would ask impossibly hard questions and give you no time to answer them. You then paid the consequences, usually you were a target for a water balloon.
Let's keep this up, the memories are really flowing. John

rlargey

Mar 28, 2007
More Memories

Like others who have done whimsical searches on Camp Columbus, I have come upon all your postings. And like many others, your remembrances have brought back a flood of memories for me. I'd like to add some more:
  • The song lyrics Sean was trying to remember were actually "and the friendships too". The next stanza changed melody and though I can't remember most of the words, some were "silently each boy should ask 'have I done my daily tasks...have I kept my honor bright.........gap.......have I done and have I dared everything to be prepared'" .
  • I am in the group photo from 1965 (my first year). I'm in the first row, third from the left wearing my Camp Columbus shirt at age 8. I went the first week of July in 1965 and 1966 (the first week the Camp opened) and the first week of August 1967.
  • I am also a legacy. My dad went to Camp Columbus in the late 1940's.
Here's some personnel and personal info:

• Camp priest: Fr. Samuel Lopeka (I won the religion award that first week at the Friday night campfire. I had no idea why until the good father told me to say 'hi' to my parish priest. Apparently they were good buddies from their seminary days.)
  • Cabin 14 (my cabin in the Cub Village) counselor - Lester Lockwood
  • Camper of the week - Kevin Avery (His brother Mark won the year before. Both Avery brothers were brought to the camp for the whole summer from Washington D.C. by their parents.)
  • Scary incident 1 - A counselor, Mr. Von Fricken (a Dutch immigrant) sliced his calf muscle in half when the axe he was using to cut wood for the Friday night campfire bounced off a wet log.
  • Scary incident 2 - We were all gathered in the Rec Hall one night when a massive thunderstorm approached. The counselors kept us inside thinking it was safe. However, a bolt of lighting hit the hall, dislodged a piece of a rafter and sent it crashing to the floor, narrowly missing two kids. I naively wrote home about this exciting story and gave my mom a near coronary. She has that letter to this day and is trying to get it into the next volume of "Letters from Camp".
  • Scary incident 3 - Constant bedtime stories about Peg Leg Pete and the Jersey Devil.
  • I gave up my "rest period" after lunch all week in order to sing in the glee club at the Friday night campfire.
  • Daily rate was $5. What an incredible value!
  • Cabin 15 counselor - Jerry Caracappa. He also had a brother who was a counselor in the senior village.
  • Camp Priest - Father Charlie Weiser. In a series of coincidences, ten years later Charlie was my college chaplain. Fifteen years after that he officiated at my brother's wedding (I didn't know he had been transferred.) Five years after that he baptized my godson. He currently resides at St. Michael's rectory in West End, NJ. He once told me he was almost kicked out the priesthood (for reasons undisclosed) and his summer gig at Camp Columbus was his last chance for redemption. I think many of us can identify with that!
  • I won the table manners award that year. You can imagine the free pass I got from my mom on that one.
  • I still have the group photo from week one of 1966. I'll try and upload it.
  • Even though I was only 10 years old, I was placed in the Senior Village. I think it was because the Cub Village was filled to capacity for that week in August.
Thanks for tolerating these ruminations and if there's ever another reunion, count me in!

J

jackgranelli

"Whimsical Searches"

"Whimsical" is exactly what I was thinking!!! I guess all of us at one time or another day dream about life way back whenever........! And it's good to be able to recall memories such as Camp Columbus.

You said $5 a day, Well my time at Camp Columbus was in the early to mid 50's and I seem to recall it being $16 per week!!!!!

I am going to see if I can contact some at the NJ State Council Knights of Columbus to see if they have any "archives" for this grand old institution we all so fondly remember.

rlargey

Mar 28, 2007
Follow up

Great idea, Jack. You would have to assume that the Callahans had years of documents some of which are probably archived somewhere in the K of C.

After my literary trip down memory lane yesterday, I retrieved an old photo album that contained some good color photos of the following:
  • The sailboat with "Camp Columbus" painted on its side. It was situated next to the canteen.
  • A great shot of cabin 15. I had forgotten that the door was painted fire engine red and a small American flag was planted on the roof peak above the door.
  • A picture of my counselor and cabin mates inside cabin 15. I also happened to notice and remember that we were allowed to sign our names on the wall with pens or toothpaste as a remembrance of our stay.
  • The group photo from week one in 1966. Except for a crease in the middle, the photo is in great shape.
I'll work on getting these uploaded.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am in the group photo from 1965 (my first year). I'm in the first row, third from the left wearing my Camp Columbus shirt at age 8.

main.php

I love the stories :) Make me miss summer camp... or at least real summer camp, as I work at one inside a school building. Camping day is a tent inside the gym...

At Pine Hill Boy Scout camp bug juice was watered down Kool-Aid. They really stretched the dollar with that stuff.

Steve

I think they just didn't wanna get the Cubbies all sugared up, I know we were a rowdy bunch in the late '80s when I was there. If you want the real stuff, let the Scouts make it... then run for the hills (or woods)

And for those of you worried about the generation gap... don't be. I'm an assistant Scoutmaster for a Boy Scout troop in Berlin, and those boys may swear and have Ipods, but they can still hike, canoe, lash, and (on occassion) beat the tar out of each other. They might complain when they get away from some of life's nicities, but they enjoy it and thrive on it. Although, from what I see of the other troops, mine is unusual and somewhat more adventerous than many...

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
2nd stanza of the song. Softly falls the light of day, as our campfire fades away. Silently each boy should ask, have I done my daily task. Have I kept my honor bright, can I guiltless rest tonight, have I done and have I dared everything to be prepared.
Mark and Kevin Avery as stated were season campers all through the 60's. Mark was on staff in 1969 and was senior village leader in1970. Kevin was still a camper in 1969 but was also on the staff in 1970. Two outstanding individuals.
We were paid $75.00 for the season plus room and board. You were given one night off during the week and the camp would give you a ride to seaside if you wanted to go. You also had one day off during the season. In 1970 our priest was Father O, (sounds like oo in boo). He was from Korea and could hardly speak English. More to come. John

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
Staff members of the 60's

Some of the councilors I remember when I was a camper. Mr. Evans & Mr. McKeever of the cub village 1963. Bill Candy in 1964. Rupert Hartman & John Sherry in 1965. These years might be off by one. There is a camp group photo taken in the mid sixties where Sherry appears at both ends of the picture. The photographer had an old panoramic camera that was motorized. It would start taking the picture on the left and "pan" to the right. Sherry stood on the left and once the camera started moving sprinted behind everyone and stood on the right. It looks like identical twins at each end of the group. I don't have the picture but I remember it hanging in the office when I was on the staff. As I posted before John Sherry was the last director of the camp in 1971 and retired in 2006 as Supt. of Schools in Tabernacle.

J

jackgranelli

Easter Greetings

Happy Easter to all "Camp Columbus Alumni"

J

jackgranelli

Camp Columbus History

Ok, it looks like we have a possible link to some real Camp Columbus History!

I was able to contact someone gave me the name of the NJ State KofC Historian. I just got off the phone with him, he lives in Monroe, and he remembers my Dad and Camp Columbus very well. His name is Joe Luciano and he asaid that he even worked in the Mess Hall a few times.

He said that he is sure that he can pull together much material such as articles, paperwork, possibly pictures, and even copies of the Cavalcade which was the State KofC Newspaper.

I said that I would give him a chance to round up what he could and call him to see if I could visit him sometime after Memorial Day.

Will keep you posted,
Jack

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very nice! If you get any photo's and want to share them, you know where we are :)

Guy

Kevin early

Apr 20, 2007
Camp Columbus

Well, several days have gone by since this thread was last active, and I thought I'd add a coda. In my further internet exploration I have finally found the Callahans, the family who owned and operated the camp, and from them I learned that the camp ceased to be in 1968, that it is now a sports park (Bamber is a membership site?), that the buildings are gone and I'm back to memories of pitcher plants, prunes with every meal, sundews in the pilings at the beach, the enormous rattler with the vivid yellow eyes in the washroom. Sadly Mr. and Mrs. Callahan are both gone but they lived long, productive, and highly influential lives and they left some worthy descendents. And it was indeed the Callahans in the camp photo (I had forgotten but they did a camp photo every week because campers came and went at that interval, so the posted photo is but one of seven that were taken in 1965). I also discovered that there has been at least one Camp Columbus reunion at Bamber, and it's possible there will be another. If so and if there is any way I can be there I will.

Thanks again for everyone's interest in my experiences at Camp Columbus. I'm in the process of writing up some more material and will combine that with previously posted information to send to Ben for posting on the front page. It might take awhile but that's my plan.

Sean Barry
Hello Sean... I have read this thread with great interest. Please also see my comments on the other Camp Columbus thread. I, too, was a camper at Camp Columbus. I attended for three years in the early 1970's. This camp was open through at least 1973. Thanks for the memories.
Kevin

Kevin early

Apr 20, 2007
Camp Columbus

Some memories of Camp Columbus:

- The first time I heard the term "Bug Juice" , but we sure drank a lot of it tho'

- Certainly the boxing matches! I got into one and barely lasted the 1st round

- Sunday dinners were always the best - Fried chicken & Peach Cobbler! Of course!!! - it was visiting day for our families!!

- Saturday was "cleanup", moving everything out of the cabins, and the pine tar for the floors.

- Daily inspections, wondering which counselor you would get, and how many demerits would ruin your chance to get the awards given out at the Friday night campfire.

- "Polar Bear" days when it was so hot that thyey would cancel afternoon activities and spend the entire time in the water.

- Your counselor telling you that they were "saving" money for school in the fall, showing you their worn out shoes -- all in hope that you would tell your parents to give him a good tip at the end of the week.

- The tether ball matches

- I remember a fellow from Freehold named Ed Collins, his dad was in insurance, who was the top softball player in my time and was able to hit the ball on the roof of the Rec Hall! Remember home plate was abck by the front of the mess hall.

I'm sure that I'll have no problem cming up with more!!

We were campers at different times. Nevertheless, much of it I remember as well. I was there in the 1970's. Kevin

Kevin early

Apr 20, 2007
Reunion

After my initial post to this forum last summer I discovered that the Callahan family has endeavored to host at least one Camp Columbus reunion at Bamber Lake (in 2006). It was apparently attended by just a few campers, but I suspect that if more Camp Columbus veterans knew about the reunion more would take the time to attend, if another one was organized. I will let you know if and when I hear of another reunion--I would look forward as much to a reunion with the Barrens as with fellow campers.

Sean

Yes. Of course! How do you find anybody? It's a long time... 35 years for me and I was among the last to attend! Kevin

Kevin early

Apr 20, 2007
Camp Columbus

Some memories of Camp Columbus:

- The first time I heard the term "Bug Juice" , but we sure drank a lot of it tho'

Yes! Bug juice! Did they really use bugs?

- Certainly the boxing matches! I got into one and barely lasted the 1st round

Could never get away with this today!

- Sunday dinners were always the best - Fried chicken & Peach Cobbler! Of course!!! - it was visiting day for our families!!

Yes! We ate like kings!

- Saturday was "cleanup", moving everything out of the cabins, and the pine tar for the floors.

- Daily inspections, wondering which counselor you would get, and how many demerits would ruin your chance to get the awards given out at the Friday night campfire.

Exactly...

- "Polar Bear" days when it was so hot that thyey would cancel afternoon activities and spend the entire time in the water.

- Your counselor telling you that they were "saving" money for school in the fall, showing you their worn out shoes -- all in hope that you would tell your parents to give him a good tip at the end of the week.

- The tether ball matches

The best!!

- I remember a fellow from Freehold named Ed Collins, his dad was in insurance, who was the top softball player in my time and was able to hit the ball on the roof of the Rec Hall! Remember home plate was abck by the front of the mess hall.

I'm sure that I'll have no problem cming up with more!!

... quite a trip down memory lane! Kevin