Campers at Columbus?

J

jackgranelli

Chair from Lake

Note to Bobpbx

I seem to recall that the mess hall had picnic tables with benches attached that you had to step over in order to sit down. Of course one could find almost anything around that area and figure it might have had some use at Camp Columbus.

Also for the new guy on this site - I certainly remember the canteen! Absolutley healthy stuff - HaHa! But that's what refreshments were in those days. Sugar, Sugar and more sugar!! I always liked Creme Soda, like Dr Browns from Coney Island or Walt's Hot Dog/Hamburger joint in Linden, NJ. But Camp Columbus was where I was introduced to "clear" creme soda for the first time. At first I wondered how it could be the same but it was just as good. It came from a bottling company in Trenton if I recall - just can't remember the name.

More memories to come!!

rlargey

Mar 28, 2007
The Canteen

Right on, Jack. It was positively the best cream soda I ever drank and was perfect for washing down a Zero Bar. By the way, I seem to remember that soda was a strange red color as opposed to your clear vintage. Perhaps a change in marketing from the 50's to the 60's? I don't recall any focus groups held at the Camp :guinness:

J

jackgranelli

Focus Groups?

Right on, Jack. It was positively the best cream soda I ever drank and was perfect for washing down a Zero Bar. By the way, I seem to remember that soda was a strange red color as opposed to your clear vintage. Perhaps a change in marketing from the 50's to the 60's? I don't recall any focus groups held at the Camp :guinness:

The only "Focus Groups" in those days was Sr Marie Aquinas trying to get me to "FOCUS" on my homework assignments- LOL!!!!

jmccarty

Jan 29, 2007
The camp today

Hey people, go to Google Maps. Type in Bamber Lake, NJ. Go to the satellite photo of the area, click on hybrid and zoom in. The corner of Hurry Road and Good Luck Road is what you want. The two large green area's are where the camp was. A tennis court and basketball court are now in part of the cub village. Follow Good Luck Road to the waterfront, or go the other way to the intersection of Dover Road. Turn left and follow until you see an un-named white sand road that runs along the back side of the lake. If you follow this it takes you close to Huckleberry Island. This road was part of the hike. Using the zoom feature you can get a pretty good look at the remains of the camp, the island and the waterfront. John Mccarty
P.S. Whoever sent me the new private messages I'll get to them soon on my own computer, this one at work won't let me view them.

joecaracappa

May 15, 2007
Hi,

My brother Jerry and I were campers At Camp Columbus from 1962-1964 and returned as counselors from 1966-1967. I remained friends with the Callahans for many years thereafter. The last time I saw them, (after almost 20 years) was at the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA in the 80's. I'm sure most of you know they are gone now. If there was a reunion in 2006, I didn't hear about it but I would be interested.

I am a newbie on the forum, this is my first post and I have lots of stories to share.

Talk to me.
Joe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Welcome Joe!

I will ask you as I have asked all the others, can you tell us where the Ghost Factory was? What was it and what did it look like? Etc.

Guy

joecaracappa

May 15, 2007
I seem to recall a foundation and wooden remains of an old building that we saw on the hike around the lake. I will have to ask my brother.

The hike around the lake was a "forbidden" outing because it was impossiable to do in a couple of hours.................and yes, we were called into the office on that one.

Joe

joecaracappa

May 15, 2007
Nice to be here. I've always been a Jersey boy (South Amboy) at heart. It's like coming home. I've been looking for a place where I could share experiences with other Camp Columbus alumni. It was a special place. Some of the other staff included my brother Jerry Caracappa (cubs), Nick Fidanza, Bruce Di Simone and Pat Ricci. The others, I am having trouble putting last names on Darryl and Bernie ........and I'm having trouble putting a first name on our senior village leader (Eldrocher)............Our priest was Ralph Renieri (1967).

Once in a while people would drop into camp out of nowhere. One was a rocker and entertainer Mr. Callahan called "The Wailing" Vince Van Dyke. Vince would appear unannounced, entertain us for a few days and vanish.

Some of the campers that stick out ..........Mark Avery who in my mind could do the finest Donald Duck impersonation since Clarence Nash (Disney's voice actor) and then there was J.D.

As A camper (62-64) I remember Tom Italiano (nature) who taught me how to handle snakes and my counselor for two years in a row Chuck Shellengouski (Spelled wrong but Pronounced: shell-in-gaw-ski).

Joe

J

jackgranelli

Welcome

Hi Joe and welcome to the site!

My time at Camp Columbus was the mid '50's when I was transitioning between elementary & high school.

I was an "Iselin Guy" but went to St Mary's High School, Class of 1960 - Perth Amboy that is, You know the Lions! But I won't hold that against you! Did you go to High School in South Amboy?

Actually I have a connection to South Amboy in that our daughter & son-in-law live there, on Charles Street which is south of Route 35 betwen Bordentown Avenue and Route 9. He grew up on Raritan Avenue in Morgan off of Route 35 and they are currently parishoners of Sacred Heart.

My other connection with South Amboy is that my family had a place down the shore in Ortley Beach but lived in elizaeth with no car. So we spent much time traveling to the shore on the railroad which involved changing to steam engines in South Amboy.

Welcome to the site and hopefully we can all continue to share many happy memories of Camp Columbus.

Jack

rlargey

Mar 28, 2007
The Caracappas

Hello Joe!

It is fantastic that you showed up! Please take a look at my post #125 as it details my memories from 1966. Your brother Jerry was my cabin counselor the first week in 1966 and he was my favorite counselor during the three years I attended. I still have a picture of him and my cabin mates in our Cub Village cabin. How is he doing? I also have the group shot from that week. You're in the middle top wearing a towel Super Man style and posing like Arnold.:) So much has changed in the world since then and one of the best things is having this technology to bring together sentiments and memories that could have faded forever. Let's hope we can generate some momentum towards another reunion.

J

jackgranelli

Another Name from the Past

Sorry for the delay - but have had a couple of "family" issues/events" so I haven't been able to get with the guy from the NJ KofC. Promise to do so soon!

Anyway, I ran into a lady at Mass Yesterday who is the widow of Stewart Schoder, a former NJ KofC State Deputy, and I mentioned the Camp Columbus site. She was so thrilled since their son had attended Camp Columbus as well. When I mentioned the name of the NJ KofC State Historian, Joe Luciano, that I am going to meet with, she said that "you must remember him" since he was a close friend of my father and her late husband. She asked for directions to the website since she is sure that her son would be interested in "browsing our memories."

Will get going on my promise and will let everyone know what comes up.

Jack

Sep 2, 2007
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's camp memories. My dad was Ted Callahan and my family and I still reminisce about camp frequently. We had a small get together almost two years ago and are thinking of getting together again this October. I will let you know definite date and time when finalized

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have really enjoyed reading everyone's camp memories. My dad was Ted Callahan and my family and I still reminisce about camp frequently. We had a small get together almost two years ago and are thinking of getting together again this October. I will let you know definite date and time when finalized

Lot's of stories there I'll bet! Be neat if you could get someone to kind of take minutes (of the stories) and put out a little report on that.

Do you meet at the Bamber Park?

J

jackgranelli

Reunion

Patti,

Good to hear from a member of "The Family", us old campers may be part of that crowd but people like your dad, Joe Reno, etc. were part of the fabric of Camp Columbus. If you come up with any reunion plans please keep me in mind. My email address is jackgranelli@aol.com

Best wishes always!

KathyEdenRoth

Sep 23, 2007
The Camp existance ended in 1974 or 1975..

Well, several days have gone by since this thread was last active, and I thought I'd add a coda. In my further internet exploration I have finally found the Callahans, the family who owned and operated the camp, and from them I learned that the camp ceased to be in 1968, that it is now a sports park (Bamber is a membership site?), that the buildings are gone and I'm back to memories of pitcher plants, prunes with every meal, sundews in the pilings at the beach, the enormous rattler with the vivid yellow eyes in the washroom. Sadly Mr. and Mrs. Callahan are both gone but they lived long, productive, and highly influential lives and they left some worthy descendents. And it was indeed the Callahans in the camp photo (I had forgotten but they did a camp photo every week because campers came and went at that interval, so the posted photo is but one of seven that were taken in 1965). I also discovered that there has been at least one Camp Columbus reunion at Bamber, and it's possible there will be another. If so and if there is any way I can be there I will.

Thanks again for everyone's interest in my experiences at Camp Columbus. I'm in the process of writing up some more material and will combine that with previously posted information to send to Ben for posting on the front page. It might take awhile but that's my plan.

Sean Barry

I know for a fact that the camp did not end in 1968. I was born & raised in Bamber Lake..in fact, all of you passed my house getting to the camp...Hurry Road. The camp ended in 1973 or 1974...The damn broke or some speculated that it was "BOMBED" and the lake lost most of the water...the camp tried to stay open with a pool but it just wasn't the same. I did hear that there was a reunion, but found out after the fact. I remember hearing the taps playing in the evening and even being allowed to purchase snacks from the canteen. If anyone hears about one, please let me know... I purchased my home from my parents so I still live on "Rattlesnake Hill" on Hurry Road....and always will....Feel free to contact me at CRHS1979@aol.com.
Kathy Eden Roth

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I know for a fact that the camp did not end in 1968. I was born & raised in Bamber Lake..in fact, all of you passed my house getting to the camp...Hurry Road. The camp ended in 1973 or 1974...The damn broke or some speculated that it was "BOMBED" and the lake lost most of the water...the camp tried to stay open with a pool but it just wasn't the same. I did hear that there was a reunion, but found out after the fact. I remember hearing the taps playing in the evening and even being allowed to purchase snacks from the canteen. If anyone hears about one, please let me know... I purchased my home from my parents so I still live on "Rattlesnake Hill" on Hurry Road....and always will....Feel free to contact me at CRHS1979@aol.com.
Kathy Eden Roth

Ain't it great living in Bamber Kathy? Ain't it great?

Bobpbx (Nick and Kara's dad).

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
You're right--I misinterpreted information that I received earlier about the later days of Camp Columbus. 1968 was the last year the Callahans operated the camp for the Knights of Columbus, but the camp did go on for several years afterwards. Mr. Callahan accepted an administrative job in his school district (he was a teacher) that required 12 months of his time per year, so after 1968 the camp summer operations went to others.

Sean Barry

I know for a fact that the camp did not end in 1968. I was born & raised in Bamber Lake..in fact, all of you passed my house getting to the camp...Hurry Road. The camp ended in 1973 or 1974...The damn broke or some speculated that it was "BOMBED" and the lake lost most of the water...the camp tried to stay open with a pool but it just wasn't the same. I did hear that there was a reunion, but found out after the fact. I remember hearing the taps playing in the evening and even being allowed to purchase snacks from the cnteen. If anyone hears about one, please let me know... I purchased my home from my parents so I still live on "Rattlesnake Hill" on Hurry Road....and always will....Feel free to contact me at CRHS1979@aol.com.
Kathy Eden Roth

Sean Barry

Scout
Jul 16, 2006
Davis, California
Sigh....

I see that Masterpiece Crafts, which occupied the Kresson Baptist Church on Rt 73 that my family owned 1961-1977, is no more and our old church and adjacent lots are apparently being offered for sale for redevelopment ("the value is in the land"). I guess the 150 year old church will soon see its final day.

Sean Barry

OK, since I'm in a storytelling mood and am besides that somewhat shocked and elated to see that old "family church" is still with us, here is our history with the Kresson Baptist Church.

My family once owned the Baptist Curch in Kresson that now houses the "Masterpiece Crafts" local artisan outlet on route 73 at Kresson Road, across from Kresson Lakes. I'm a little fuzzy (at 55 I guess that's normal) about when my father acquired the building, but it must have been in 1960 or 1961, because I remember going there during the summer after fifth grade (1960-61). My father (Francis Leo Barry, b. 1918 in Orange, NJ) was in the municipal supply business--he sold everything from road signs to street sweeper brooms (big heavy cast iron things), and his customers were local and statewide municipalities. A major source of income was selling and installing one-off street signs--we installed many of the original street signs in the then fledgling development called Cherry Hill (pre-Cherry Hill Mall). He originally had a warehouse in Gibbsboro which was convenient for him because he was a member of the Gibbsboro-based Square Circle Sportsmans Club (which I see still exists) and he liked to practice his archery after work every spring and summer day. The Gibbsboro site proved too small so he went warehouse shopping, and one day he announced that he was going to buy an old church in Marlton. I'm sure there were lots of reasons why he liked the site and the building (he always had an appreciation for antiques and history and especially for historical antiques and buying a 1860's church was perfect for him), but one was that it was truly in the country and he could shoot out back against a hay bale backstop. The building was also much larger than the Gibbsboro warehouse, and I imagine that the mortgage was probably less than the rent in Gibbsboro. At any rate, suddenly we found ourselves the "proud" owners of a very dilapidated old country church (a year or two later he bought an ancient fire truck that he kept alongside the church for awhile, and I guess we were probably the only family in Haddonfield New Jersey that simultaneously owned a church and a fire truck).

We worked on weekends (and my father worked every day) to bring it up to snuff--well I remember walking the rafters with my brothers and sister to clean up pigeon nests, removing weeds by hand, installing shelves inside and out. The pews were already long gone--as a woodworker I think wistfully about the potential those pews might have had, both historically and (if they insisted on junking them) as very well-seasoned hardwood. After a couple of months of steady work the warehouse was ready, and National Supply and Equipment (Frank Barry, prop.) moved into its Marlton location. My father used the extended room in the back as his office, and I remember very clearly coming to work with him during the summer and talking to him in that room (in a Catholic church it would have been the sacristy). We also would sometimes visit on school holidays--my mother would get hoagies at the deli if it was raining (I don't know if they still do but rain and hoagies just seemed to go together) and we'd sit in that little room with the rain pouring down the window, to the sound of the sizzling radiator. I also often fished in the channel cut on the same side of Rte. 73 as the church, over by Braddock Mills Road, the outflow from Kresson Lakes. It was a great place for bullheads and snapping turtles, but I also remember catching eels and I think bass as well. I was a budding naturalist and scientist and I wandered all around looking for small creatures (especially reptiles and amphibians), and I remember that the side roads off Braddock Mills were treasure troves of habitat and wildlife.

When I was a freshman in high school (1964-65) my father woke up one morning in April with a massive, crippling headache and was dead a couple of hours later of a cerebral hemmorhage, at age 46 (he was a WWII vet and is buried in Beverly National Cemetery, Beverly NJ). Unlike my father, my mother was not from New Jersey, she was from southern California, and by that provenance she even then was something of a stranger in a strange land. She was confronting a number of realities, particularly that my father had recently cancelled his life insurance policy, and that she was about to experience widowhood at age 38 with three children age 11-14, no employment history past 1948, and no college to speak of. She decided that we would have a better future in California and so she sold our house in Haddonfield and we left New Jersey on November 23, 1965 (my birthday, also my father's birthday). We settled with my grandmother in southern California, I eventually went north to UC Davis and became a biologist and herpetologist and here I am 41 years later with grown children and grandchildren. My father's business went into foreclosure because of debts he owed to suppliers, and during the summer of 1965 they cleaned out the church and went away with everything but the church itself, which was not considered part of the business. My mother later said that it was a blessing in disguise because even though we lost whatever we might have been able to get for the stock, she would have had to try to sell it in a market that she knew nothing about. She decided to hang on to the church, and indeed she rented it (I believe also to warehouse businesses) until finally she sold it in December 1976. My mother passed away in 1999 at 73.

For our family, the church was much like having a very elderly and very interesting relative always in the house, but someone whose demands were actually much less than than one might assume given that he was OLD and had lots of character. To know that the long lost relative lives and seems still to thrive after so many decades is a source of great satisfaction.

Thanks

Sean Barry