Can I paddle the Mullica South from Atsion to the Mullica River Campground?

Pyrodox

Aug 15, 2007
Hello,

I'm new to this site, found it while searching for information on this subject.

I've stayed at Lower Forge before, and we're planning to paddle the Mullica River this time to the Mullica River Campground. My question is, can I park in Atsion and paddle South to the campground?

Pardon my question if it sounds dumb, I don't get many opportunities to camp in Wharton, and haven't been down the Mullica yet.

Anyway, thanks for any information you can offer, and for providing this Forum about the Pine Barrens.

ETA: If it's not against site policy, does anyone have GPS coords for the Mullica River Wilderness Campground in Wharton State Forest?

Pyrodox

Aug 15, 2007
Not against site policy at all, although I don't have the coords myself.

You can go to www.topozone.com and get a map and it will show the coords for free.

Thanks for the reply. I was looking over the TopoZone maps and didn't see a distinctly-marked campground where there Mullica River campground should be, but by using the Wharton State Forest trail maps available from NJDEP and cross-referencing them with the TopoZone maps I got the general location of it.

Still wondering if I can take the Mullica all the way South from Atsion to the campground. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

NewSchoolPiney

Explorer
Jun 16, 2003
Boston, MA
www.pinemind.com
Hello,

I'm new to this site, found it while searching for information on this subject.

I've stayed at Lower Forge before, and we're planning to paddle the Mullica River this time to the Mullica River Campground. My question is, can I park in Atsion and paddle South to the campground?

Yes you can. We've done it before a few times. It's a nice alternative to hiking the Yellow Trail.

Justin