can you help me find these ruins?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Pan,

I was at Friendship this morning and took a bunch of photo's in the same location you did. They did not turn out well because of the location of the sun so I have to go back at a different time of day and take them again. In any event, here is the Then And Now.

1.jpg

Guy

Reactions: Pan

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Guy, you're ahead of me! I had been thinking that it would be interesting to go back there and do then and now photos, trying to find the same spot where I took my picture. I think the tree in the middle of your picture is the same as in mine, but where's the big tree on the left? Can you find the foundations of the houses?

When you see the old ghost towns in the Barrens what remains is often just the convergence of the sandy roads, trees from the old town, and maybe an old house foundation.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That tree in the middle is not your tree. If you look really close the tree in mine are much further back and may be ther trees that are behind the truck in your photo. My photo is not that good so I will update it when I can.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
But if you look in the grass in your photo don't you see a line where it changes from short to tall which might be the old road line?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The road is the same ... the road is now dirt. Jessica is standing right on the edge of your road.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is a view of the intersection right after the new bridge was built. That was 9/16/06. My car is on your road and you can see those trees are in the distance. That tree in the front is now gone.

IMG_7289.JPG

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Thanks, Ben.

Guy, don't you get in trouble on the sandy roads in there with that low slung vehicle, as I did with that rented car?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been stuck quite a few times, but I was able to get out of most of them. Bob had to help me a few times. Once near Whiting and the other at Black's Bridge.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Nice. As WC Fields said in "The Bank Dick", the resale value of the car on top is virtually nil.

Last edited:

gingin418

Apr 26, 2021
Galloway
I took this photo in September 1971 - Friendship before it became a ghost town. I remember the sounds of farm animals. I have a lot of photos, mostly color slides, that I took in the Pine Barrens in the 60's and 70's.View attachment 1556
My family lived on that property and i so many fond memories growing up there! Do you have others you’re willing to share? I have pictures of family members on and around the property but none of the house and packing house like this! Thank you for this treasure.

Reactions: Pan

auto

Feb 14, 2014
Remember one structure when I started riding out there. Then the 4x4 yahoos destroyed all that was left.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, one structure right along Speedwell Road still had residents in it when I first visited. And Ted Gordon has a photo there on July 17, 1975 and they were still there. But they were not there much longer.

gingin418

Apr 26, 2021
Galloway
I think the Bill Curtsinger edition of John McPhee's The Pine Barrens has a pic or two from Friendship. Nothing as good as Pan's.

I can't believe this discussion is 10 years old.
I can’t believe how popular that plot of land is. I would’ve never imagined hearing of so many people driving past that area, and others who referred to it as Alfredo’s Farm. Having grown up there, it didn’t seem like many people knew we were even back there. Other than our family and friends that lived in the houses off Chatsworth Rd. Who like my grandfather worked for Bill Haines.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I really like Pan's old photos. Simply amazing to see!

i have a few more i cld post if anyone is interested, and some i removed because people (besides me) were in them. Most from 1969 thru the early 70's, about 50 years ago. I don't think any have as much historical value as the one above, though. Other photos of mine r scattered around this place (look under the furniture or even under the linoleum*).

* Surprising how many of my lost toys and things worked their way under there when i was a little kid!

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd