Canoe Signs

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I found all the canoeing streams either through John Parnes "Canoeing NJ Pine Barrens" and Through Ben Gertlers "Canoeing New Jersey"
and later by checking out aerials and topos and going down and throwing a boat in. Never needed signs.If you want to know where to go we now have the internet and Google maps and Iphone apps and GPS's in the car.No one should need signs anymore.
I have found on the other hand that car gps's are better at telling you where you are at then how to get where you are going.I take their directions with a grain of sale but the map is indispensible for getting out once off track. I do love the road signs in this case.they are much more reliable then the gps.When i was a kid I used to tun our corner road signs around so the sign read the wrong roads.An old man across the street used to yell at us for it because he couldn't climb the pole to turn em back.No humor.If I seen kids do that today I"d have a good belly laugh over it.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have an answer and a website that explains the reason for the signs. Rather than me explaining it, it will be a whole lot easier to go to this website where you read all about it.

http://www.nj.gov/transportation/community/scenic/byways.shtm

That web site proves it is another guvmint project run amuck. In the overview of that site, this is the sign they use. I'm sooooooo cornfused.

scenicbywaylogo.gif

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We saw similar signs with sea gulls on them in Cape May this week. I had no idea it was a trail or where the next sigh was, it looked like a bus stop or a don't run over the sea gull sign.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is one on the SB lane of the GSP just past the entrance ramp from New Gretna, MP50-49.

Jessica and I saw that one two weekends ago when we drove from Bamber to Exit 44

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was at Allen Road and Stage Road today and the canoe sign on Leektown road only had the "Connector" sign on it. The canoe sign was gone. Unless it was never there it has been taken.