Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the same view. Opinions?

IMG_2399.JPG

http://willceau.com/news/2013/03/14/standing-by-a-stream/

Reactions: Willceau Illo
Guy:

There is absolutely no question in my mind that your photograph mimics that of John Capewell. Even the slight bend of the stream in the background is the same as Capewell’s shot. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that through the collaboration of those active on these forums, this Capewell image would be positively identified!

Thanks!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

There is absolutely no question in my mind that your photograph mimics that of John Capewell. Even the slight bend of the stream in the background is the same as Capewell’s shot. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that through the collaboration of those active on these forums, this Capewell image would be positively identified!

Thanks!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Yea, it is the place. From where he lived this was the best route and this is the only location he could have been at. And the photo proves that in my mind. I have another one I will post soon without the bridge.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

That view would be looking towards the Tulpehocken at Carranza. If he turned around the sawmill site itself would be right behind him and slightly closer to the road. The building shown earlier would be to the right about 90 degrees. I believe this photo solidifies the location to be where we have discussed. It also tells us the sawdust pile was further back in the clearing and not right by the sawmill and road. This would make sense.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This pretty much says it all. He is looking down the road towards the red pointer, and where the road starts to curve is the road to the right of the pointer. The Tulp is in the distance. The white area on the left is the sawdust pile site and sawmill site.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.769541442352704&lng=-74.61982727050781&z=17&type=topo&gpx=

This is quite a nice piece of history.

Looking over it again he is looking straight down the curving road. That would not line up properly. He would have had to been on the side of the road with the building. Maybe there were two sawdust piles?

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Could that photo be mirrored wrong horizontally? Is there a chance of that?

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Anyone notice the shadows underneath the trees? The shadows are directly below and just slightly off center. I'd take a guess that this photograph was taken about midday during the middle of the Summer. The sun is high. July?

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I like that section of Carranza being sand! The elevation change looks a little steeper than it is now, for some reason. The view is towards Tabernacle.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
It may be but the hill seems too steep in the Capewell photo.

Teegate, you may be right. I thought the hill looked steeper than it should as a result of being able to see farther down the road and the angle of the photograph - an optical illusion. The Capewell photo could also be Tuckerton Road, photographed from behind the memorial. The topo map shows a steeper change in elevation. The dog leg left at the end of the road is a hint.