Capewell Glass Negative Collection

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I noticed that Capewell may have gone back to this location a second time. Look these over closely. They appear to be different and the sawdust pile is gone. Or some sort of double exposure.

sawdust-pile-22.jpg

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Look at the person standing on top of the sawdust pile. His size appears to be out of proportion to the height of the building below. The second picture appears to have been taken at a higher elevation than the first one. In fact, was that picture actually taken from the top of the pile.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On 9/29/1933 Beck had an article in the Courier Post with himself on the sawdust pile. If Capewell had been there earlier when he visited the Carranza Memorial, the pile may not have been there. So he sees Beck's article and goes back and finds the pile there. Maybe really far fetched.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you look at the top photo which I say was taken at a later date, you can see that some of the sticks in the square area in the center of the photo are missing or have deteriorated. The equation is could that amount of sawdust have been made in a couple years?

Teegate:

I concur with your assessment of some trick photography in the top image above. If you look at it, there an overlay of a second negative covering about the top third of the image. If you blow the image up, you can see the microchips in the glass along the bottom of the overlaid negative. To mask what he did, Capewell laid the second negative down with the emulsion against the base negative to make it appear that the men were on the same plane as the base negative. I presume that Capewell then shot a second unified negative to tie it all together onto a single plate.

That's my $0.02 worth.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been fascinated with these photos and have spent quite a bit of time at that very spot looking around trying to visualize the place then and now.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Do you have a guess as to where the photographer was standing and was taken, say looking North?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would say he was on the sawdust pile shown as red looking toward the building shown as yellow.

shed1.jpg

Same view rotated 90 degrees to be closer to the view the photographer saw.

shed2.jpg