Careers

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
Well, I am at the point in my life where I am still not exactly sure what I would like to do with it. Im 23 on April 17th, and got my high school diploma and have been working unskilled labor since. My dad owns a lawnmower shop and I have been working with him for years, I know my way around a toolbox, it's just I really can't see taking over the business later on. I love working on anything with an engine, I just can't see doing it as a career. I am interested in the computer field because I am good with computers. I went to the computertraining.com website that I heard about on the radio while driving to the scrap yard and they have that "online skills challenge" test. So I took the test and passed and got a call today from them about a seminar in Bensalem PA to really see if this is for me or not. I would like a higher paying job and a better future for myself. So with all of this said, I would like any feedback or advice from anyone on here. Sorry I just get rambling on, I just had to get this off my chest.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The "online skills test" of those places are geared to let anybody with a clue pass.

It will lead you down the path to a certification mill, where they will take a lot of money from you, and they will teach you how to pass various Microsoft and/or Cisco certifications. The problem is, they'll teach you what the right answers to the tests are, not really what they mean, which will work out to you having a hard time when you actually start a job.

Oh, they also say things like "you'll make $X amount of money as soon as you pass this test." Their $X is usually an unrealistic number. As an IT Manager for a software development company in Manhattan, I'll go on record and say that I would never hire someone who has certs but no job experience. The way that these places churn people out doesn't prepare them for the real world, or the tasks that I will need my employees to do.

In my not so humble opinion, you're better off getting an A+ certification and finding an entry level job as a bench tech or field tech. I would try to avoid doing a helpdesk job as that will burn you out quickly.

I guess the big question is -- what do you want to do in computers? Work on PC's? Build and run servers? Design networks?

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
You have said what you can do, what you think you can do, but what would you love to do? What would you do that would make you excited to go to work? What does your heart want to do for a living?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
You have said what you can do, what you think you can do, but what would you love to do? What would you do that would make you excited to go to work? What does your heart want to do for a living?

This is the most important question to ask yourself Wolfspider. It is not an easy one to answer sometimes.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
This is the most important question to ask yourself Wolfspider. It is not an easy one to answer sometimes.

Ditto. I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up! I went to community college for 3 years and studied for about half of those because I had a fast car, a 4x4, (it didn't hurt that "expensive" gas was $1.05 then) and a full time job that paid relatively well for an 18 year old kid already. I worked 50 hours a week, partied the weekends away, and went to class occasionally until I realized I was 20 and not really close to a degree in anything. Anyway, I managed to study my tail off my last year and a semester and bumped my GPA to a 2.6. I transferred to a small school in North Jersey and decided to major in history education. History was the only thing I ever enjoyed in high school, so I went for it and found out that once I started studying something I enjoyed it was doable. I managed to make Dean's list my first semester there since I started fresh and my old GPA was wiped out.

Anyway, I picked up a political science minor along the way and got accepted to a program which allowed me to go to Washington D.C. (American University) for a semester and study/intern on Capitol Hill. The political bug bit me and I wasn't that interested in teaching anymore, but I still finished my degree program. When I got out I decided to look for a political job and I ended up working for the same Congressman I interned in D.C. for albeit in his district office here in New Jersey. I'm happy where I'm at now and I'm making decent money, but I want to do something in the area of transportation policy eventually-maybe work for the Turnpike Authority, NJ Transit, The Port Authority, etc... Lord knows this state needs help in managing moving people around, minimizing sprawl, and preserving what's left. It's a pretty exciting business to be in if you're like me and you watch "Modern Marvels" on the History Channel religiously.

To be honest though if I had my pick of professions I'd rather be a farmer, but its not an easy way to make a living in this state. I'm hoping to one day be able to buy a modest amount of acreage to start a small farm as a side business. Anyway, the point of all this is to just show you that you really need to think about what makes you feel fullfilled (notice I didn't say happy), and how you can make money doing it. I think trying to find something that makes you happy is impossible-nobody is ever truly happy at work! There are days when I don't feel like getting out of bed because I know I have so much crap sitting on my desk, days where I want to throw the phone/computer/etc...at the wall...but when I know that I had a small part in helping my boss pass a piece of legislation, help a WWII vet get the medals he earned but never received, or nominate a deserving kid for appointment to a service academy-THAT is fullfilling.

Just a thought-you have mechanical experience and you're willing to go to school-have you ever thought about becoming a mechanic? Not the brake and tire type, but an ASE Certified Master Tech? The guys who work at the dealerships make REALLY good money. If you're a real go-getter and you've got a good head on your shoulders you could make Service Manager and make some serious cash. Cars only get more complicated and dealerships need competent people who are willing to work on them and go to school year after year to learn about what's coming next. Also, I see you have a BMW "M" series engine as your avatar. Trust me-many times the guys who work on BMWs at the dealership make more than the people bringing them in for service!

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
Hey wolfspider,
That computertraining.com really does have a catchy jingle on the radio.
"Redefining education, redefining your future, Computer training.com........"
I've had that song stuck in my head for years its on 610 WIP all the time:jd:

I'm not putting you down man I'm just having a little fun. Good Luck I hope you find a good program.
Tom

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Good advise already I think. Look into college diploma courses perhaps, not only will you get the path you want, but it may lead you to a more well rounded education then the computertraining.com offers. Best of luck, work hard, kick some butt.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Wouldn't taking courses at a community college, or maybe evening continuing ed courses at a university, be a better path?

For a career in IT? Doubtful.

The problem with school when I went there was that they were teaching a curriculum that was already 10 years out of date. That's why I switched from Comp Sci to English. I can't imagine that courses at any place other than maybe Rutgers or NJIT would be worth it. IT is the last field that you can get far with (I am in management) without a degree.

For a successful career in IT you need two things.

a) Good troubleshooting skills - you need to be able to analyze a problem, pick it apart, and find the root cause -- quickly and with little help.
b) Experience - the good jobs come to those who have experience in the field.

Getting an A+ cert will get your foot in the door at an entry level place. Stay there for 2 years, absorb as much as you can, and you should be able to jump to another job for another $10-15k more a year. Keep making your jumps progressively higher and soon you'll be earning a lot.

Beware though -- the days of $100k+ salaries are long gone for all but the most senior programmers and DBA's. Don't expect to be making more than $30k out of your first IT gig, either.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I really appreciate all of your feedback on this, I still am not 100% sure of what I want to do with my life. I am not even sure about what part of IT I am interested in. There is also a school called UTI for automotive training, although they will not give you an ASE cert unless you meet certain criteria. Decisions decisions. Thanks for all of your feedback and advice.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
There is also a school called UTI for automotive training, although they will not give you an ASE cert unless you meet certain criteria.

I don't know anything about UTI but I'd carefully research any school before I took the plunge. As Ben said, there are plenty of sheisters out there who will charge you $$$ to teach you something that may or may not be marketable. I would just stop into a high end dealership and ask either the service manager or one of the techs what path they took before I plunked down any cash.

wolfspider05

Explorer
Nov 12, 2004
Riverside Nj
I don't know anything about UTI but I'd carefully research any school before I took the plunge. As Ben said, there are plenty of sheisters out there who will charge you $$$ to teach you something that may or may not be marketable. I would just stop into a high end dealership and ask either the service manager or one of the techs what path they took before I plunked down any cash.

That is exactly why I am alittle cautious about it, there is always someone trying to make money in exchange for knowledge that won't always do you any good. Stopping into a dealership is a really good idea and I think I will try that. I just have so many things that I am interested in pursuing and not exactly sure what field to get into. I like learning and working with my hands, I know that much.