Catching the Brown Marmorated Fartbeetle

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
So, the stinkers have really been crowding the screen door the last few warm days. They wait around the outside edge until I open it to go outside for a smoke, or let the dogs out, and then they try to get past me.

The site of all those stinkers perched on that screen got me thinking about a trap. Some kind of contraption that you hang by the door, with a battery-powered shielded lamp to generate warmth, and some screen baffling they have to crawl over to get inside.

What do you guys think?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I still don't know what they are, so I guess they aren't a problem where I live. Mark, just keep the dog inside and quit smoking... problem solved! :p

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I still don't know what they are, so I guess they aren't a problem where I live. Mark, just keep the dog inside and quit smoking... problem solved! :p

Yes, just a picturesque name for a stink. And I can quit smoking, but I can't keep the dog inside unless I can get him to use the litter box. Anyone have a litter box for a 115-lb. Lab?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark, I have the same problem, and also think about it. What about an electrical contact device that turns the screen into a bug zapper? It does not even have to kill them, just enough to discourage them.

I've also thought of sticky tape around the perimiter.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Biologists use those same sort of traps to catch snakes,small mammals,lizards,etc placed under boards and buried as pit traps.

That's encouraging. I'm thinking of something cylindrical where the bottom part contains the heat source and a plastic container, and the upper part has the opening and baffles. The idea would be that you could tap them down into the container and slide it out, and then maybe empty it into a bag or something.

Bob, I had a couple of those ideas as well. Electrifying the screen is probably a no-go, if for no other reason than a lot of people don't have metal screens anymore. Sticky tape... like an old school fly trap. Might work, but man are they nasty looking. And once the bugs are stuck to it what do you do with them? I pick them up and toss them outside all the time, but I can't get my wife and daughters to touch one!

Another thought was to reverse my whole-house fan and over-pressure the place by a few psi :).

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I went to Reed and Perrine today purchasing more lime for work and as soon as a walked throught the front door I was eye to eye with a huge display of stinkbug traps and bait. Rescue was the brand name. The trap looked just like what MarkBNJ described.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I just looked at some pictures of stink bugs online since I wasn't sure what they were. I can't remember ever seeing one of these down here. Surprises me a bit that a distance of ~50 miles makes such a difference Bob. But being surrounded by woods means that bugs are pretty much a way of life for me. All kind of bugs get into my house, but no stink bugs. I am not complaining though. :D