Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
While getting a picture without being noticed may be a bit difficult. Memorizing a license plate # (in the case of an illegal dumper) or driving away and calling the police seems fairly safe.

Jeff

Sure -- I was only talking about overtly photographing someone, or confronting them. If people want to report plate numbers, that's pretty safe. I would definitely do this if I saw an illegal dumper in the woods.

... and why is that? In the act of doing what? You can (and I have) gotten your rig extremely muddy by doing nothing more that riding on a lega road. You've obviously never been on High Crossing or the dozens and dozens of other legal roads in Wharton.

I think he may mean people riding around on 44"'s or something. I don't like huge trucks rolling around either, simply because they make the trails impassable for people like me puttering around in my Jeep.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
safest place in a puddle (For a bike) can be right down the middle.. granted and assuming there's not logs or any crap left in it.. if i can't get around it and a middle run through is inevitable, i'll usually walk it first, or pole it w/ a long stick.. bikes dont run well underwater.. ask me how i know.. :dance:

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
... and why is that? In the act of doing what? You can (and I have) gotten your rig extremely muddy by doing nothing more that riding on a lega road. You've obviously never been on High Crossing or the dozens and dozens of other legal roads in Wharton.

If the trucks aren't off road, then the drivers have nothing to fear from law enforcement, but if the vehicles are covered from top to bottom with mud, then chances are the drivers were playing in the mud, not just driving down the road. I know High Crossing area pretty well, and it's pretty obvious that the roads, road shoulders, and intersections have been deliberately torn up by drivers of monster trucks. It must be fun to spin the tires and throw mud and see how deep you can make the rut, and see who can get through there and who can't. I'll be more than happy to meet you out there and show you what I'm talking about. I know people who drive (or used to drive) these things, and they have told me that's what they like to do.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Nascar- Agreed. I thought the same thing.
Russ when we take 'Lil Red out we and 'Lil Red will all be muddy- without leaving the road.
Tom

10-4, Tom. But I'm talking about a caravan of monster trucks covered from top to bottom. I don't think it hurts to alert the rangers, because there's good chance they aren't out there to reflect on the wonders of the natural world.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
there is supposedly an area of private property called "The patch" that a lot of these monster trucks go to.. not sure where it is.. only heard rumors (darn that sounds sexual.. )..

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I guess it shows that we should reconsider before we make blanket statements. That's really my point. I've been out "riding the trails" by myself, with my wife and with convoys of upwards of 10-12 other trucks. I get muddy without doing anything illegal, so do others. If a Ranger where to stop me, just because my rig was muddy, I'd be hard pressed not cracking-up when he pulled me over and said, "Excuse me Sir. I pulled you over because we got a report of your truck looking muddy, out here in the woods."

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
I guess it shows that we should reconsider before we make blanket statements. That's really my point. I've been out "riding the trails" by myself, with my wife and with convoys of upwards of 10-12 other trucks. I get muddy without doing anything illegal, so do others. If a Ranger where to stop me, just because my rig was muddy, I'd be hard pressed not cracking-up when he pulled me over and said, "Excuse me Sir. I pulled you over because we got a report of your truck looking muddy, out here in the woods."

10-4 Nascar. Point well taken. But do you know what I'm talking about when I say that big trucks are tearing up both roads and wildlife habitat out there?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
10-4 Nascar. Point well taken. But do you know what I'm talking about when I say that big trucks are tearing up both roads and wildlife habitat out there?

Again, yes and no. Just because someone is riding the trails with 44's it doesn't mean they're tearing up the trails. I've seen stock vehicles rut up the trails and I've seen these big rigs do the same. None of which were in my group, but I've seen it done. I think we're both trying to say the same thing and share the same concerns. All I'm adding to make my point is that we can not generalize.

For example, my wife and I camped at the Wading Pines Campground this past weekend. On Saturday morning, we hit the trails for a few hours in my stock Tacoma. On two different occasions, we encountered stock F150's tearing up the trails, by power-braking on both the trail and in puddles. They were 2-different people, 2-different trucks. We also ran into a highly lifted, highly modded Jeep with huge tires. The guy was doing (so he said) what my wife and I were doing, which was just riding around taking in the sites. That huge Jeep, assuming he was doing what he said he was doing, did far less damage to the roads/trails than those morons in the stock F150's. The trails were not dry by any means, but were not sloppy wet, although I did manage to have a "muddy" truck when we were done with our ride.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Again, yes and no. Just because someone is riding the trails with 44's it doesn't mean they're tearing up the trails. I've seen stock vehicles rut up the trails and I've seen these big rigs do the same. None of which were in my group, but I've seen it done. I think we're both trying to say the same thing and share the same concerns. All I'm adding to make my point is that we can not generalize. ....

I hear you loud and clear. It's the way you drive, and where you drive, not necessarily what you drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.