Chatsworth North....A PBX Hike

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Why do people always have to poke around a hunter's stand when you can see it is in use. By showing the stand and camera it is now possible for other people to find it and possibly harrass the guy or steal his stand and canera. What did he do to deserve that?

If he does not want people pokng around his stuff he should keep it on private property.
Just because you leave $1000 worth of stuff out in the woods dosen't mean you own the place.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I spent many hours and days exploring that area, and had a few stands out there with my brother. Also, we had a few bandit camp sites, that are now overgrown. I have many good memories of those woods. Many of the pics looked familiar, thanks for posting them.
Greg

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report Guy! Looks like you guys had a great trip. Sorry I couldn't be there. Guy, that one photo ("darker than it was") is a fantastic shot. You can tell from the location of that tract that it is just full of piney history, much of which has never been documented I'm sure.

Quick question...Does anybody know if there were cranberry and blueberry operations there prior to Demarco's ownership of the tract?

Jeff

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I am finished with this thread and will not be posting again on it. I try to give those who may have an interest in this area and can't get there a glimpse into what we have found and viewed; however, I am beginning to think that it is more trouble than it is worth.

Guy

Guy, I truly appreciate the time and effort that you put into your after trip threads. When I am not working it is my responsibility to care for my sick mother and I can only get out for short periods once in a while. Thanks to Ben, you, and everyone else who shares their trips and photos I get to go along from my seat in front of my computer. Thanks, Tom

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Quick question...Does anybody know if there were cranberry and blueberry operations there prior to Demarco's ownership of the tract?

Jeff

Mario Ruspoli, who built the Villa and the Club in Chatsworth, seems to have been involved with cranberry production after the Club burnt. He went back to Europe, but still owned the land and either had someone local build and manage the bogs or leased the land to a grower who built them.

I imagine DeMarco, Bill Haines, or Steve Lee could tell you.

Oct 25, 2006
I am finished with this thread and will not be posting again on it. I try to give those who may have an interest in this area and can't get there a glimpse into what we have found and viewed; however, I am beginning to think that it is more trouble than it is worth.

Guy

Thank you Guy for posting pics and informing us about your PBX hike, it is much appreciated.

Jim

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
By the way, we found something disturbing that we forgot to meniton. We found a fawn that had been split open from stem to stern and completely gutted by a human. The entrails were neatly piled up about 3 feet behind the fawn, and the fawn was lying on its side, fully intact.

All is not right in those woods. :(

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Thanks for pics and narrative, Guy. I really enjoyed it!!

Bobpbx - That is disturbing about the fawn. I would imagine alot of that kind of thing goes on in the pines???

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
No, it does not. I must have 20,000 pine miles logged or more; by truck, motorcycle, and foot, and I have never seen it before.

I just thought that with the Pines being 1 million or so acres, that that kind of thing would happen without being noticed. Sad it happened to one. It shouldn't have happened at all.

Man!!! 20,000 miles in the pines??? I'm definetly jealous!! Impressed too! Especially by motorcycle. I'd love to get a trail or enduro bike and ride thru the pines. I gave up street riding a few years ago. Too many idiots on the roads.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks for pics and narrative, Guy. I really enjoyed it!!

Bobpbx - That is disturbing about the fawn. I would imagine alot of that kind of thing goes on in the pines???

Bob forgot the really disturbing part.
Half of the deer's head was missing as if shot from very close range with a shotgun.
There are no firearm deer seasons in right now, so it looks as if the deer was the victim of illegal and wasteful activity.

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
were any of the organs missing? Someone did not take the time to gut it and not take something. Ant chance you scared the perp. off? I mean was it fresh?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
grendel,

There was fungus growing from the guts, so it must have been there for some time.

MartGBC,

I'm glad you appreciate the trip report. You seem like a very agreeable fellow.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
were any of the organs missing? Someone did not take the time to gut it and not take something. Ant chance you scared the perp. off? I mean was it fresh?

If it wasn't for the head damage, my theory would have been that someone dragged a roadkill into the woods, gutted it, found a little too much damage and walked away.
I have done that more than a few times with road kills but usually I find some salvageable meat.
Sometimes you just don't know until you get inside and take a look.
The head damage certainly looked like a gun shot to me but maybe it was hit hard in the head by a vehivcle and someone did what I described above.
Surprisingly, the rest of the body was intact and no animals had taken a sample.
I estimate that the deer was there about a week and a half.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
If it wasn't for the head damage, my theory would have been that someone dragged a roadkill into the woods, gutted it, found a little too much damage and walked away

Even so Scott, we were a good 1/2 mile away from the most likely traveled road, and even then the guy would have had to carry it through that swamp.

My theory is that it was Frankenstein. He scooped out the guts, then heard a girl calling him from far away, and left quickly.