CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
So you were witness to the big party held back then during the long hot summer, the one the National Guard came to?

It happened summer of '68 I believe. I had not seen my parents that nervous since the Cuban Missile Crisis in '63.

I believe similar parties were held in cities all over the country that long hot summer.

My uncle had a furniture store in Trenton. Luckily he was insured and able to rebuild after it was burned.

A tumultuous, wild era. Mark Rudd, president of SDS lived in my town. Fear of nuclear holocaust, sex, drugs, rock and roll, Woodstock the next year, assassinations, the moon landing, Black Panthers, students burning libraries, cities burning, Vietnam war... I've tried to explain it to my kids but I usually get an "okay boomer" response.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They occurred over several years. July 1967, my wife to be was working at Blue Cross in Newark. In 1964 I was working on Wall St, drove thru the Jersey City party to catch the ferry to NY every day. Kept my shotgun in the back seat.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Did you notify anyone of the incident ?

If not, it would have been extremely helpful if you called in that incident to the State, assuming you were on State property. The 877 WARN DEP number (877-927-6337) works for all Parks and Forestry and Fish and Wildlife violator calls...
Good advice. But a question: If you call, I think the first thing you are asked (by the voice response system): is this an emergency or not? That's how I remember, anyway. What would you say in this case? People with wood, cutting trees, looks like they are about to start a fire - emergency or not? What about just a large group of people gathering, in violation of the EO?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Did you notify anyone of the incident ?

If not, it would have been extremely helpful if you called in that incident to the State, assuming you were on State property. The 877 WARN DEP number (877-927-6337) works for all Parks and Forestry and Fish and Wildlife violator calls. I have used it several times and it has brought immediate action every time I called it. The call is dispatched to Park Police or Conservation Officers that are already in the area. If you were on private land, a simple 911 call could have been made.

Standing idly by and watching that incident unfold would not have been an option for me or anyone in my circle of friends and family.
Thanks for the info. I will put the number in my phone. Believe me, I wanted to drive right up to them and say something and take pics of the plates, but I was by myself with 2 Labs. You never know what your up against out there. People have a tendency to over react. My labs maybe could of licked them to death?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Good advice. But a question: If you call, I think the first thing you are asked (by the voice response system): is this an emergency or not? That's how I remember, anyway. What would you say in this case? People with wood, cutting trees, looks like they are about to start a fire - emergency or not? What about just a large group of people gathering, in violation of the EO?

I've used it 4 times but I don't remember the emergency question being asked. The answer would have been no if I was asked that but the call was properly channeled regardless. All 4 times I was connected to a live dispatcher almost immediately and all 4 times I received cell calls within 20 minutes from the responding officer. In one of the incidents I had gave lat/lon to the location and the officer was able to use that to locate the issue. Another time the officer stayed on the phone when he got close to the area and I was able to walk him through, turn by turn, right to the issue.

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Thanks for the info. I will put the number in my phone. Believe me, I wanted to drive right up to them and say something and take pics of the plates, but I was by myself with 2 Labs. You never know what your up against out there. People have a tendency to over react. My labs maybe could of licked them to death?
Don't be afraid to use the number. I have had nothing but positive experiences with it.

Reactions: MuckSavage and Wick

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Took a trip to Forsythe NWR this morn. Only interesting sighting was one Yellow-Crowned Night Heron next to the Egret rookery. Quite a few folks in the parking lot, and quite a few on wildlife drive. More humans than birds.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
What is the penalty for being in Wharton?

It appears that for dis-obeying the distance rule it is $1000 or your first born, unless it doesn't pass muster in the courts, should anyone challenge it. Have not heard of anyone being charged for entering a 'closed' forest.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
I think if you are caught by State Park Police walking (alone, say) in a closed park you will be told to leave. If you are with a group, you will be told to disperse and leave. I doubt you would be charged unless you refuse to leave / disperse, or otherwise behave badly. I think the charge is a disorderly persons offense, and probably something specifically related to violating the executive order. But you shouldn't test this out. Law enforcement - including local, state police, and park police - must be having a rough time out there, difficult job made worse, so why push it?

Reactions: old jersey girl

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The distance rule is different form walking down a desolate trail.

I am pretty sure it applies anywhere except your own home. Just take the walk alone if your taking it in a WMA.

1587767130165.png

Last edited:

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I think if you are caught by State Park Police walking (alone, say) in a closed park you will be told to leave. If you are with a group, you will be told to disperse and leave. I doubt you would be charged unless you refuse to leave / disperse, or otherwise behave badly. I think the charge is a disorderly persons offense, and probably something specifically related to violating the executive order. But you shouldn't test this out. Law enforcement - including local, state police, and park police - must be having a rough time out there, difficult job made worse, so why push it?

What if you are driving ? you and a passenger from your own household say?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
These popped up this morning on the entrances from Caranza Road into Glossy Spung ( Hampton) and Tuckerton Roads. There were no more all the way to the tracks. It was very quiet unlike yesterday.
P4260007s.jpg

P4260010s.jpg

And just for fun this is what people are putting on the Skit Bridge.
P4050004s.jpg

Reactions: Wick and Teegate
Status
Not open for further replies.