Closing West Mill Road

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have no stake in this but if shown the stones I'd say he'd then move them to his advantage. The State or the property owner is going to have to hire a survey team to prove once and for all the property lines. I've seen in one instance where "established" property lines were moved approximately 600' North and 300' West. In this instance I'm talking about Haines & Haines now PICC.
I didn't even think of that Devil.I am so naieve.
Deuteronomy 19:14 ¶Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
I like the idea of just bypassing the gate with a new road but I would think a new gate would be put up a new gate. But I think there would also be a court battle about the environmental impact of doing that. We all know a certain organization that does not want more roads out there.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Triv

Nov 8, 2017
Vineland
Here are a few pics from what I found riding up from Rockwood Road. This was a couple weeks ago before the rain. That road can get nasty when it fills with water.

IMG_3764.jpg
IMG_3767.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
So he isn't trying to stop Trespass just Motorized Vehicles.This tells me He knows the property is not his but he believes the road is.The issue is then of course did Hammonton own the road? If it did then it could give it to Him.But Wharton just tried closing down many road in the State Forest which tells me Wharton/State think they own the roads. Kind of funny Wharton was just fighting to close roads and now their fighting to keep one open:)

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The point here is not his property lines it is the fact that the town of Hammonton vacated the road to him. If the state can't turn that around the road is his.

Now that there is a real problem. If the town has the authority to vacate a road I should think the road is the townships. When a road is vacated ownership and responsibility are passed. I'm sure there are many but 2 that I know of, PICC at Oswego Lake and the end of Long Causeway entering the DeMarco bogs, now Parker Preserve. If indeed the road was vacated to him I believe he has the "right" to gate it. What was the reason given to vacate the road?

I wouldn't count on the State plowing a new road. First lack of funds, even the FFS would need to be paid and lack of "need" for the road meaning not cost effective. Would only benefit a relatively small handful of users.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
..........If indeed the road was vacated to him I believe he has the "right" to gate it. What was the reason given to vacate the road ?

Read my post #50 in this thread and the ones that follow. It was not a vacation, it was a license agreement between Hammonton and Miller. It is a unique way of delegating specific rights to an individual in a public right of way.
He convinced Hammonton that control of the road was needed to protect his business.
Where's the "Bullshit !" emoji when you need one ?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I wouldn't count on the State plowing a new road. First lack of funds, even the FFS would need to be paid and lack of "need" for the road meaning not cost effective. Would only benefit a relatively small handful of users.

If it only benefits a small handful of users, then what's all this fuss on the forum about?

Let us not give out ammunition.

Last edited:
Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Would only benefit a relatively small handful of users.

Here is something to ponder. I did a little cyphering and a few gazintas, in the words of Jethro Bodine.

From the entrance to West Mill Road at 206 to the long defunct bridge behind the Pleasant Mills Church, to which West Mill leads, measures 6.3 miles.
An average and conservative width of the barren lands and waters that straddle West Mill, that really have no other practical access from other roads, is about 1.5 miles.
Converting miles to feet by multiplying each value x 5280 and then multiplying the results by each other, I then see how many times 43,560 gazinta the product.

The answer is 6,048 acres of land that the public cannot access. That is unacceptable.

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
Here is something to ponder. I did a little cyphering and a few gazintas, in the words of Jethro Bodine.

From the entrance to West Mill Road at 206 to the long defunct bridge behind the Pleasant Mills Church, to which West Mill leads, measures 6.3 miles.
An average and conservative width of the barren lands and waters that straddle West Mill, that really have no other practical access from other roads, is about 1.5 miles.
Converting miles to feet by multiplying each value x 5280 and then multiplying the results by each other, I then see how many times 43,560 gazinta the product.

The answer is 6,048 acres of land that the public cannot access. That is unacceptable.

I have a question to this figure....could you also compute how many acres of forest are also inaccessible by the public in the area east of the Hammonton airport, North of Columbia rd and South of the Great Swamp/Nesco Cr. towards Totem Village? That's is a big chunk of land the the public cannot get in unless your lucky enough to have a gate key or own property on the boundry.

Last edited:

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
I have a question to this figure....could you also compute how many acres of forest are also inaccessible by the public in the area east of the Hammonton airport, North of Columbia rd and South of the Great Swamp/Nesco Cr. towards Totem Village? That's is a big chunk of land the the public cannot get in unless your lucky enough to have a gate key or live on the boundary

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have a question to this figure....could you also compute how many acres of forest are also inaccessible by the public in the area east of the Hammonton airport, North of Columbia rd and South of the Great Swamp/Nesco Cr. towards Totem Village? That's is a big chunk of land the the public cannot get in unless your lucky enough to have a gate key or own property on the boundry.

What I did is very approximate but actually includes most of the areas you are describing. If you went into the State woods behind Totem you can't cross over to West Mill because event the footbridge over the Nescocheague that linked to West Mill has been out for years. And as I said earlier, the vehicle bridge behind the Pleasant Mills Church has also been out for years.

Wildland937

Scout
Aug 24, 2016
New Germany
Thanks! Yes, that's exactly my point...the land I'm talking about is not really accessible at all regardless of West Mill rd. But why should it be someone's private state forest that we can't use? Just saying/wondering....