Concrete Ship

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Ro & I were on a birding/photography trip along the coast - Avalon to Cape May - last Sunday. We stopped at Cape May Point - only a few Herring Gulls. The concrete ship wreck is slowly disappearing, so we took pictures to record it as of January 2016.
IMG_7174.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I remember going by it in the 60's with my uncle's boat when he had his house in Reeds Beach. It was pretty large then. I remember he turned his head real fast and his new sunglasses fell into the water.

Reactions: MikeBickerson

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
There’s a ton of information on the web, “concrete ship ‘Atlantus'”, including pictures over time, ship dimensions, etc. 12 such ships built during WW1, proved impractical because of weight. This one broke free in 08 June 1926 storm from its mooring and beached; couldn’t be retrieved. It was going to be used as part of a planned ferry landing that would have used other of the concrete ships

emoo125

The Atlantus was another thing that I was fascinated with as a kid that got me hooked on Jersey history. This website might not exist had it not been for that ship.

I also have pretty distinct memories of it that have stayed with me over the years. Used to pretend as a kid that any little pieces of rusted metal I found on the beach were from that shipwreck (may not have been too far off the mark there, actually!). It does look much smaller in the top photos then I remember. But, then again, I was also a lot smaller at the time...

Reactions: h2ochild

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Pictures
Video