Could Use Some Help

Do you believe an unidentified species exists within the Pine Barrens?

• Total voters

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Here's a view of the tower though. She's a knockout.
image.jpg

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
During the the 1930s, many WPA and CWA projects took place around Bowman's Hill including the building of cabins, grounds work and plantings. I know for sure a cabin by the visitor's center was one of the buildings constructed. The chimney and three stall privy look similar in style to the stone work at the existing cabin.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Yup chimney solved then. Thank you. The roof is similar to the old bathroom holes. image.jpg

The bathrooms were made of stone. The floor was totally caved it. Nice work and thanks for solving the mystery.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"Off" kills Chiggers instantly.

Guy, we discussed this before with Sue. For those who don't know, she worked developing pesticides for a major company but has now moved out of NJ. She said that DEET (including OFF) doesn't kill bugs. It disguises your smell so that they don't think you're a tasty snack. I remember she said that if the chiggers died when you sprayed them with OFF, it was just due to the alcohol in which the DEET is dissolved. Looks like Pineywoman's comment about baby wipes confirms this.

Maybe a pump spray bottle with isopropyl alcohol would be just as effective and cheaper, in addition to not exposing you to a chemical (DEET) that may have side effects?

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Hey there bergenparanormal,
I am Jeff. As indicated in previous posts by other members I live near this area in question. I have been all though this area. It is state owned land north of Moores property holdings. There was a cranberry industry there at one time but little remains of it now. most of the packing houses and related structures were of only wood construction and have since completely disappeared.

It is beautiful woods, but thick. The topography is usually dramatic (in elevation changes). Very few people go in there, mostly hunters from a local gun club, but in the off season I pretty much have the place to myself. If you are interested I will take you in there, but it would be best to wait till after the first frost due to chiggers.

the general area has been known as Goose Pond for at least two centuries. The Sooy family was prevalent in the area.

You can PM me on this forum.

Jeff

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
I finally made to to paradise!! Thank you all for your wonderful maps! Gorgeous day as well.

This is just from my phone can't wait to upload the "real deal" photos. Found some orange mushrooms and various beautiful flowers.

image.jpg

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Um... No chiggers yesterday. However, I did not know that mosquitoes could attack you THROUGH your clothing. Woke up to welts everywhere. Fun times. I guess they have really big suckers.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Yeah, they grow mosquitos pretty big in the Pines. Some people have a good tolerance for them - unfortunately I'm not one of them. The bugs tend to keep me out of the woods this time of year.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
They LOVE me. Poor kid has some on his face. I try to do my best to protect the little devil. I didn't know they could be so vicious there. They are the size of small welts in some areas and really can't believe I was attacked through my clothing.

Btw, Teegate if you are listening.... found your PBX videos. Nice work...but you guys are nuts trekking through to the Bodine Fields.

EffinGenius

Aug 27, 2012
Medford Lakes
I've found that chiggers only settle in under tight clothing (socks, elastic waistbands, etc.), so I avoid them now by hiking the pines in the nude. :smug:

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Hiking in the Pines is probably not a nude place to wander, but hey it is a freeing place. There's great areas to explore. I can't get enough of the solace and the beauty. I absolutely love it and feel at peace whenever I go. It is at least 2x a week.