Coyote puppies

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Hopefully Bill, you will be able to catch a whole pack on the prowl. I'd love for the folks here to hear that.

Something you gotta hear to believe.

I finally got a decent coyote recording last night! Purely by chance. The gear was set up to capture whatever sound came along while I was watching a superb Perseid display, and a single coyote howled quite nearby for over four minutes. Yippee!!! Yahoo!!!! :) It wasn't quite as haunting as some howl sequences I've heard in the past (and it is more sensational when an entire pack is vocally involved), but still very nice. My flash card was just about out of memory, too, when the calling started, and I was about to shut down. A stroke of good fortune ...

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
That is way cool Bill. No kidding.

I also heard a construction vehicle backing up as well as distant traffic. What time was it?

I couldn't hear the trucks backing up while in the field, but the mics picked them up. My location was a wildlife management area between Dividing Creek and Laurel Lake, and there are some sand plants in operation in the vicinity. The coyote was recorded at 2:45am.

Unless I bury myself deep in Wharton or the likes, I can't get away from the background noises.

Headphones reveal many subtleties, if anyone wants to give that a try.

In response to Grendel's equipment inquiry, I'm using a flash recorder manufactured by Fostex, model FR2-LE, which is a recent upgrade from a Microtrack recorder I've used previously. The nice thing about this particular recorder is that I can set it for high sound gains and get hardly any hiss (which was a problem with the Microtrack). It's better for quiet sounds. Two omni-directional mics are used, AT 3032s, which are perfect for what I want, and were reasonably priced. Sadly, the manufacturer just discontinued this model, so I hope mine last a long time.

Thanks, Guy, for posting the mp3.

Bill

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
And here is Bill's recording of the coyote. It is a direct download and will start downloading when you click on the link. Thank you Bill for the excellent recording!

Guy

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/whippoorbill/coyote.mp3.zip

I've gotten quite some feedback, on and off forum, about this recording. Thanks! Seriously, I've heard many better coyote sounds, but have yet to capture them at their best. The above sample represents the first time I've caught one "close." After listening to the two hours of material I took in Monday morning (circa 3am), I realize this coyote was moving around a bit out of my hearing range (but within the mic's; I wonder if I'm losing hearing sensitivity?). Anyway, I have a few distant howls here that are sending chills up my spine. I'll probably return to the scene again this Monday night and see if it's common to hear coyotes there. Also, a screech owl was going pretty strong that morning, too. I have to learn how to pinpoint, then stalk sounds, and set up closer to the action.

Regarding gear again, I subscribe to a Yahoo nature recordist group and some hobbyists spend up to $25,000 on gear. I'm miles away from doing it best, though reproducing the 360-degree sound spectrum sense of magic one absorbs with his own ears, onsite, doubtedly can ever be managed.

Take care,
Bill

BambamNJ

Scout
Sep 14, 2008
Waterford, NJ
Very cool! Sounds like the opening bars of Deep Purple's "Hush"! We have yotes that show up from time to time in our yard. Our property butts up to Bass River State Forest. They usually just pass thru and keep on going. As far as Im concerned, we are on their land. Neighbors have heard them howling in the night. I haven't been lucky enough to hear them.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Simply put that is fing awesome.....I've heard some real good sound files through Al(manumuskin) but this one is really the coolest......

I heard some coyotes in the early am in chatsworth last saturday just at sunrise.....good stuff.

dzurinkod

Dec 26, 2004
Bordentown N.J.
All these coyotes turning up are great! A little out of the pines, but when the corn came down on our farm a few years ago, we had a coyote roaming the fields like he was lost(Bordentown). That year some hunters took four of them between our farm and the neighboring one. Funny thing about all of this. About 20 years ago my father was bow hunting out in Chesterfield when he heard coyotes and managed to see eyes pre-dawn. He was so freaked out he called fish and game who basically laughed and said there are no coyotes in nj.