Cranberry Fest This Weekend

uh60chick

Scout
Jul 14, 2007
Just so you all know, a new documentary on New Jersey cranberries will be playing in the Inn. Ocean Spray has set up a "mini-bog" (wading pool filled with water and cranberries, basically) and will be giving out Craisins, Cranergy, and little tubes of juice powder that you add to bottled water. The Festival Committee (which I'm not on, although I know it sounds like it--I just know people) is trying to bring the cranberries back to the Cranberry Festival. I haven't heard about any tours, though. Most local growers are working and don't direct market.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just so you all know, a new documentary on New Jersey cranberries will be playing in the Inn. Ocean Spray has set up a "mini-bog" (wading pool filled with water and cranberries, basically) and will be giving out Craisins, Cranergy, and little tubes of juice powder that you add to bottled water. The Festival Committee (which I'm not on, although I know it sounds like it--I just know people) is trying to bring the cranberries back to the Cranberry Festival. I haven't heard about any tours, though. Most local growers are working and don't direct market.

Ocean's Sprays attendance last year where they gave out samples of the Pomegranate Juice was what started me drinking it, so it is to their benefit to be there. Nice!

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Nope, I'll be at the Double Trouble harvest. Too bad the NJCF doesn't run some tours thru the FPP during the festival.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was there this morning and visited the Ocean Spray booth and spoke with the friendly lady there. And I bought the book "Piney Princess" and spoke with her. There was a man there from the Historical Society who was interested in any photo's of mine, or for that matter anyone's for a possible future book on Chatsworth. He was especially interested in train photo's in and around Chatsworth.

Guy

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
I was in Chatsworth this morning . . . any inkling I had to visit the festival was squashed during the half hour of crawling bumper-to-bumper traffic I endured trying to get through town.

suresue592003

Explorer
Apr 4, 2004
Browns Mills, NJ
I too was there and the high light for me was buying the "Piney Princess" book. The author is a great person to meet, very friendly. I was astonished at the similarities between her book and mine. (if plexus accepts it) The style,drawings and emotion is incredible! I can't wait to finish it.

I was there this morning and visited the Ocean Spray booth and spoke with the friendly lady there. And I bought the book "Piney Princess" and spoke with her. There was a man there from the Historical Society who was interested in any photo's of mine, or for that matter anyone's for a possible future book on Chatsworth. He was especially interested in train photo's in and around Chatsworth.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I too was there and the high light for me was buying the "Piney Princess" book. The author is a great person to meet, very friendly. I was astonished at the similarities between her book and mine. (if plexus accepts it) The style,drawings and emotion is incredible! I can't wait to finish it.

If Plexus doesn't accept your book then you should self publish. http://www.lulu.com

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
I visited the festival for the first time early this morning. Stopped by Buzby's and made a few purchases and had the privledge of chatting with Marilyn Schmidt of whom I have read much about here. A wonderful sweet woman.

As for the rest of the "festival" I was rather disapointed as it was in fact very much a flea market for the most part.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited the festival for the first time early this morning. Stopped by Buzby's and made a few purchases and had the privledge of chatting with Marilyn Schmidt of whom I have read much about here. A wonderful sweet woman.

As for the rest of the "festival" I was rather disapointed as it was in fact very much a flea market for the most part.

No matter how much good intention there is for people to have an event such as this, they always turn into some sort of flea mart. Some less than others, but still a flea mart anyway. You just have to go there and find something you feel is worth buying. With the thousands of people in that area today, I bet I was one of the handful of people that visited the preserve. That is depressing that more people don't explore what we have.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Well, if they don't charge people to come, they have to charge the people who set up booths. The majority of people will be vendors of some sort who will look to recoup the fee the festival charges as well as make a profit.

The way the festival is set up, there's no way that this would turn out any differently.

It is a shame, though, because ultimately any Pine Barrens exhibits or even sales pale in comparison to the $8 mug of root beer, bad pizza, cheap t-shirts, and kewpie dolls.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I like how many people were charging five bucks for parking on there yards.....those people had to make some nice money that day.

Guy the woods was dead Bob and I were exploring some nice cedar swamps and didn't see a sole in the woods.....I wasn't complaining though.

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
I like how many people were charging five bucks for parking on there yards.....those people had to make some nice money that day.

Guy the woods was dead Bob and I were exploring some nice cedar swamps and didn't see a sole in the woods.....I wasn't complaining though.

The woods were dead. After Chatsworth I explored the southern end of the Preserve then down towards Jenkins and back through Oswego then over to Quaker Bridge. Only came across one vehicle, that being a bus/canoe trailer on Quaker Bridge Rd. We were both charging a sugar sand spot on a bend in the road from the opposite direction. Wasn't pretty! He helped push me out.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
The family and I, and a few friends from the fire dept. took the trek to Chatsworth yesterday. It was my first time there for the festival. I enjoyed the drive up 70 & 72 thru the pines. Got there early so traffic wasn't bad. I liked the town of Chatsworth once I looked past the flea market.

I bought a couple books at Buzbys, and one of them is The Roads of Home by Henry Carlton Beck. The lady behind the counter told me she used to live next door to Father Beck. Wish I could've spent more time talking, but I was on my way back to the car and Buzby's was pretty busy.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Chris, the lady behind the counter was likely Marilyn Schmidt. I didn't get over to Buzby's today, but I did wander around the festival for a couple of hours. We had fun, picked up a couple of jars of preserve and a loaf of Cranberry bread, ate some sausage and peppers. But it really struck me as a huge flea market more than anything else.

Visited the White Horse Inn and had a nice chat with a fellow named Stan about the Blue Comet and what he thinks are serious plans to revive that route for gamblers.

Afterward we also hit the woods, and I wish I could say they were deserted. Maybe it was the section we were in, which was down across Hawkin Bridge to Batsto. There was some large festival on at Batsto as well, the Country Living Fair I presume. I think next year if they are on at the same time I will try that one.