crazy cedar

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
0165.JPG

I found this cedar in the factory branch swamp back at the end of the summer. I thought some might enjoy it.

Chris

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I saw that too Hewey, it's about 2 miles from my house. It tried to grab me when I walked by.

:)

PS: I don't think I've seen that one. I'll look for the photo of the one I was telliing you about.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now the ghosts hunters will swear it has something to do with the Jersey Devil. :)

Great find Chris.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Curse it all!!
I read the title and thought Hewey had found something green and new in the Pine Barrens to partake in. Oh well.
Cool tree anyway, in a Timothy Leary kinda way.

g.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
There is a top but you can't see it in the picture. I wounder what caused such crazy branch structure? All the other cedar around it are straight as an arrow but they also look much younger.

Chris

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
forwarded the link to this page to a few peeps..

here is a response from Stephanie Adams of the NJ Audobon Society;

"Normally growth like this, especially in pines ("wolf pines"), is the result of logging or insect damage. Most likely the apical meristem was damaged and energy was put into lateral branch growth. Never seen a cedar do it to that extreme though."

Very cool looking cedar tree, btw

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Sure, I will show you. Let me know when you are available

Work is starting to slow down for the season for me so I will have more time to get out in the woods. One of these weekends we will have to go take a look at the monster. I will contact you and we will set up a day.

Chris

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have never viewed that one also, so if it is a weekend I would like to come along if possible. If you two want to do it alone just go ahead and don't worry about me.

Guy

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
I have never viewed that one also, so if it is a weekend I would like to come along if possible. If you two want to do it alone just go ahead and don't worry about me.

Guy

It would be great to have you along. Maybe one of these weekends in the near future.

Chris