Dash Cam

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter purchased a new dash cam after her second Garmin stopped working on her. One stopped working after 15 days and the other lasted a few months more. It was not a cheap one either. In any event, today she took this video in her car. More wide angle and 2K. The Zedge Z3.

Reactions: Toothy Critter

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She has only used it two days so this is only a quick review of it. The suction mount is much more secure than my GPS which in the beginning fell off the window all the time. That was because I took it down each day and once I stopped doing that it stays up.

The night video looks good also on her new one. She drives 2 hours a day in the dark so that was important to her. Her only complaint so far is the cable is really long.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It depends on the size of the card. The bigger the card the longer it takes to overwrite. It comes with a 32Gig. On my dash cam every 10 minutes is about a GIG so that would be about 5 hours or so. I am not sure about her new one. If you see something you want to save, you just push a button and it locks that portion of the video and will not overwrite it until you remove the file or unlock it.

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My dash cam decided to fail so I had to purchase another one. This one has a rear camera also. I can have the rear view showing and use it as a backup camera, or I can have the front showing or both. It has the same quality settings but I am not sure yet if it is as good. It was dreary the day I looked at the videos and they seemed to be inferior. However, it is a wider angle camera so that may be why. When both cameras are in use the quality drops to a specific settings so I have no say in it. If it looks bad I may remove the rear one.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My last couple cars have had built-in backup cameras. For me, the main use is parallel parking when I visit family in NYC. I find myself using it very little around here. In fact, it's mostly a distraction... where should I look? Out the window? In the mirror? At the screen?

As for dash cams, I don't want that kind of intrusive technology in my car, although I understand why some people like them. The argument is often made that they could help prove something wasn't your fault - true enough. But that cuts both ways and could also be used against you.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
. But that cuts both ways and could also be used against you.
I think about that all the time. However, if anyone is really worried it only takes a second to format the card. But I am not sure how well it does that. The files may still be there.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If (god forbid) you were in an incident and it came to trial, I would not want to explain deleting files to a jury... might be interpreted as an admission of guilt. :eek:

Anyway, like I said, I understand their appeal and enjoy the videos you post. I just don't want one myself. :)

slingblade

Scout
Sep 15, 2016
MakePeace Lake NJ
Coincidently, this video about the legalities of dashcams was in my feed last night. The lawyer spoke to the problems someone will face if they delete the file or throw the camera away after an accident.

Reactions: Boyd