Deal struck to hike NJ gas tax 23 cents

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Was also reading about that. The whole freeze on highway expenditures has been outrageous, they re-paved a road near me a couple months ago, then picked up all their toys and went home without painting any lines or finishing the shoulders. If we had a governor, maybe things would actually get done around here…

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Looks like a lot of that $0.23 is going to trains and other forms of public transportation. No doubt the stalled projects will cost a lot more than the contracted price if the contractor was told to stop, de-mobilized and is now expected to come back. There's no doubt in my mind that a lot of $$$ will be thrown to consultants for "studies" also.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I guess this is the "tax fairness" we've been hearing so much about.
Those that don't pay the tax benefit from the tax.

Kinda like me paying the tax on that steak dinner someone else is eating in a five star restaurant.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Those that don't pay the tax benefit from the tax.

And those passing thru that buy fuel pay the tax and don't benefit from it. I guess it all balances out :worms:

We need to dump some tea into the Delaware at Trenton, but that would probably be just a waste of good tea.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yeah, things like hotel room taxes are always popular too, since local residents don't pay them. Just did some quick math, looks like the gas tax will cost me about $160 a year. But we're going to get a sales tax break of 0.125% next year. That should save me about $60. :rolleyes:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I noticed this morning that a gas station on my way to work which has been $1.85 cents for weeks jumped up to $1.93 overnight. The tax is not even in effect and the prices are going up.

Last edited:
Reactions: manumuskin

92 Blazer Jeff

Explorer
Aug 24, 2015
GLASSBORO,NJ
Home heating oil and off road diesel are not taxed, they add red dye to it to tell if you use it for
for on road that is taxable

I looked on Land Line mag On line it said diesel will tax will go up 27 cents, 13.5 in 2017 and 13.5 in 2018.
Why not do that with the gas tax?

Last edited: