Deal struck to hike NJ gas tax 23 cents

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
If they look in your tank and it's red you'll get a big fine

I've been driving longer than I can remember and for the time that I can, no one has looked into my fuel tank. They would not see anything if they did, just a metal tube that disappears into the great beyond. ;)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I've been driving longer than I can remember and for the time that I can, no one has looked into my fuel tank. They would not see anything if they did, just a metal tube that disappears into the great beyond. ;)

I drive a diesel pickup and I have always played by the rules and pumped road taxed fuel. It's been tempting over the years to pump in the off-road diesel and save 15-20 cents per gallon , as the pumps are side by side where I buy my fuel. In NJ its always been legal to pump your own diesel and in most cases, the diesel fueling area is still separated from the gas fueling area so no one is really paying attention as to what you are pumping your fuel into. I know of a few contractors over the years who would fill their saddle tanks in their pickup with off-road and go home and pump it into their truck tank. Ive seen a guy in Atco a few times filling his saddle tank and his truck with off-road. I jokingly asked him once, "Goin' off-roading tonight ?" He didn't find it funny.

As to your statement about never being checked, you probably drive a gasser. If you drive a large diesel truck, "sticking the tank" is a very common check in a MVC road block. They insert a dowel with a swab on the end in the tank. If it comes out red, you in heap trouble.

Supposedly they don't mess with pickups but I never wanted to find out the hard way.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I never noticed 2 different pumps for diesel, will have to take a look next time I fill my 'gasser' :D Is one without tax, one with? Isn't there also an IRS tax credit for diesel?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I never noticed 2 different pumps for diesel, will have to take a look next time I fill my 'gasser' :D Is one without tax, one with? Isn't there also an IRS tax credit for diesel?

I fuel at three different stations in the Waterford area and they all offer off-road and highway. Small contractors with backhoes and other smaller diesel fueled equipment usually buy at a regular service station that carries off-road. Larger contractors like South State or RE Pierson usually have their own fueling facilities at their yards. We have a job going on right now with P&A from Colonia, NJ and they have off-road delivered daily to the job site by Taylor Fuel because P&A is so far from their home base. I would say most stations that have recently added diesel, like Wawa, only offer highway. Mongan's in Sicklerville, which is a large fuel operation has always offered highway and off-road.

I don't know about the tax credit for diesel. Maybe I could get some of my honesty paid back in the form of a credit ?? :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I don't know about the tax credit for diesel. Maybe I could get some of my honesty paid back in the form of a credit ?? :)

When we were buying the Jeep we were considering the diesel and the sales guy mentioned the credit, so I'm not sure how accurate it was. ;)

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I love my 6 speed 7.3l (444 cu. in.) diesel and will run it until it stops. I have had it 14 years and have 196,000 problem free miles on it. International called it the million mile motor and I am hoping that's true.
I get 21 mpg out of it consistently which is amazing for a 4wd, crew cab, 8' bed truck that weighs a full 8,000 lbs empty. My peak torque (525 ft/lbs) is achieved at only 1,600 rpm's which is part of the secret to it's longevity and the fuel mileage.

Squeeze oil until it explodes. Simple. Rudolph Diesel had it all figured out a long time ago !

Sadly, the Guvmnt has strangled the newer diesels with anti-pollution junk and there is no longer a fuel mileage advantage.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The diesel just didn't make financial sense for us. Went with the V6 and 8 speed, an amazing combo, get 21-22 around town and 25-26 on the road with the 4WD set to auto. Best we ever did was 28 on one tank on our trip thru New England, with some hypermiling :eek: Probably one of the best vehicles we ever bought.

Boyd, VW just came out with a Golf Alltrack, used to be an Audi model designation.

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Senate passed the tax increase; next up the Assembly. Goes into effect immediately 11/1 once Christie signs.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Boyd, VW just came out with a Golf Alltrack, used to be an Audi model designation.

Cool, I know there have been rumors of something like that for awhile. Still completely satisfied with my 2015 Tiguan 4wd, I get between 25 to 30 mpg in typical use but it wants premium gas. Used to get 30 to 35mpg with my Golf on regular, but I've gotten too used to the hauling capacity of the Tiguan, 8 foot boards easily fit inside. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Rumor is they are coming out with a long wheelbase Tiguan for 2017. My wife's GTI is sitting in the garage waiting for money :eek:

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I'm just glad I didn't buy the diesel Volkswagen that I looked at a couple years ago. :D
My work car is a VW Golf wagon. We have a fleet of 5 VW diesels and are dealing with that whole mess. We should fare well with this buy out though. Most are well over 200k miles.

Reactions: Boyd

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I love my 6 speed 7.3l (444 cu. in.) diesel and will run it until it stops. I have had it 14 years and have 196,000 problem free miles on it. International called it the million mile motor and I am hoping that's true....Sadly, the Guvmnt has strangled the newer diesels with anti-pollution junk and there is no longer a fuel mileage advantage.
I've got over 300,000 on mine and hope the rest of the vehicle lasts as long as i expect the motor to.
In addition to mpg the emmisions on newer diesels took a chunk out of their reliability.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
And Tom Kean emailed to let his constituents know he voted against the hike... What was the # yays vs nays?