Death on the Batona Trail???

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see a post on the Enthusiasts boards saying there was a possible death/murder on the Batona trail last weekend. Anyone know anything?

Guy :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did the same on KYW1060 the philly news radio station with the same results.

Guy

J

JeffD

Maybe someone killed a snake. Or the Jersey Devil was mad that his new film got a bad review on PBE. Or maybe it was a story planted by a certain faction to keep humans out of the woods. :wink:

J

JeffD

Tricky devil! I've heard "never smile at a crocodile", but a bat? :shock: :roll: :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

Were you there when Ed mentioned that the death was across from Carranza Memorial. I believe he said it was a hanging suicide. Ben may respond with more info.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Bob. Runnemede where he is from is right next to me. I work with a man who lives there and knows everyone it seems. I will ask him if he knows the man.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Bob's Link said:
Body Found in NJ Forest "Suspicious"
Tabernacle, NJ November 6, 2002 — The death of a man found over the weekend in Wharton State Forest has been classified as suspicious.
Michael Biocco of Runnemede was found around noon Sunday, near the campsite he had set up at the Batona campgrounds in Tabernacle. He had been reported missing Thursday by a relative.

Park officials said yesterday that an examination of the body indicated that Biocco's death was suspicious, but they declined further comment.

They referred all questions to state police, who said they were waiting for autopsy results before deciding whether to investigate the case as a homicide.

Biocco was found by Barbara Cavalieer and her dog, Toby, who serve with the West Jersey Canine Search and Rescue group.

(Copyright 2002 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Last Updated: Nov 6, 2002

J

JeffD

Yes, Guy, I remembered somebody telling me that there may have been a hanging suicide at the Batona Campground, which is alongside the Batona Trail not far from the road, close to the Carranza Memorial. I didn't remember who said that, and I was also not sure if the information was verified and I didn't want to risk circulating a rumor in "print."

That's something, visiting close to the spot soon after it happened.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Accidental hangings/stranglings are often caused by a certain uhm, "act." I'm not saying that is what happened here, I'm just saying that the vast majority of cases are caused by that happening.

I just don't see how you can hang/strangle yourself "accidentally."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The man at work did not know him, but he said there were two articles in the Courier Post on it. The man was in his 50's he said.