DEP Announces Virtual Public Meeting to Launch Wharton State Forest Visitor and Vehicle Use Survey

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
We have had a link to the NJDEP meeting information posted in my 700 +/- member sportsmen's club (Square Circle) weekly newsletter since the announcement was made. In addition, the Camden County Chapter of the NJ Federation of Sportsmen's Clubs will be encouraging all local deer clubs to get active on this matter, immediately, at their monthly meeting to be held on September 20. The 6-Day deer clubs really have a lot to be worried about with this matter.

Tonight, I made a plea from the podium to our general membership to get involved and register for the meeting and I received a very positive response. If nothing else, maybe we can help crash the State's virtual meeting platform. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great work Scott. I notified the one club that I know and the person I sent it to forwarded it and added me to the email so I know he passed it on. Hopefully, we get a good response from all of the hunters.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I believe at or around 6PM on the day of the virtual meeting you should received a code and possibly a link by email to log in. At least that is what I am hearing. Please take your time and follow whatever instructions they supply. If anyone knows anything different let us know.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
That reminds me, if anyone has info on this situation I encountered last night. Kettle Run Road runs from near Raymond Avenue North of Atco and runs NNW as a fine, paved road....but abruptly turns to dirt for about 1/3? mile before it joins Spring Ave (red section below). What is this, local resistance?

View attachment 18165
Bob, I grew up right by there. Throughout my youth and before my time, this section, although always dirt, remained open for the public to travel through up until the very unfortunate development of “The Sanctuary”. This section of road closed shortly thereafter.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I grew up right by there. Throughout my youth and before my time, this section, although always dirt, remained open for the public to travel through up until the very unfortunate development of “The Sanctuary”. This section of road closed shortly thereafter.
I drove the road the other night. No problem and no signs, so it's still good to go.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Not happy about posting this but I am.

Misleading as always. The top puddle has a go around. And the second larger one isn’t even a road. Both are in Batsto Fireline Road. The second one is not a designated road. It’s at the burnt out bridge and has a crossing going over it right next to where he’s standing.

Last edited:
Reactions: TommyP

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
"“They want the entire forest to be an off-road vehicle park. To me, that’s just not sustainable.” Jason Howell, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, on advocates for keeping the status quo on vehicle access"

Who is "they" Jason?

I also wonder if it was PPA who needled the state into the survey regarding road usage. It's clearly a trap by the conservation organizations to allow roads not adressed by people on the survey to be closed.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
It's clearly a trap by the conservation organizations to allow roads not adressed by people on the survey to be closed.

We should just absolutely swamp the "interactive mapping tool" mentioned in the press release. Collectively mark every single road and site as important. Pollute the dataset.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We first have to get everyone to be online at the proper time.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
We should just absolutely swamp the "interactive mapping tool" mentioned in the press release. Collectively mark every single road and site as important. Pollute the dataset.
I wouldn’t call it “polluting the dataset” but rather “the point”. If we don’t make the state aware these roads are used, they will certainly use that as a basis for closing them.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I wouldn’t call it “polluting the dataset” but rather “the point”. If we don’t make the state aware these roads are used, they will certainly use that as a basis for closing them.

"Pollute" from the state's perspective - but yes, you're right of course.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
"“They want the entire forest to be an off-road vehicle park. To me, that’s just not sustainable.” Jason Howell, Pinelands Preservation Alliance, on advocates for keeping the status quo on vehicle access"

Who is "they" Jason?

I also wonder if it was PPA who needled the state into the survey regarding road usage. It's clearly a trap by the conservation organizations to allow roads not adressed by people on the survey to be closed.
He knows just as well as we all do that there is no “they”.

TommyP

Explorer
Mar 30, 2022
Clementon
thomaspluck.substack.com

Who is "they" Jason?

I called him out on this in an email. It's misleading and not helpful. He says he sees "satellite imagery" of damage, and videos posted to social media all the time. If off-roaders are posting videos of breaking the law, we should be able to report them to law enforcement and see results.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco

Who is "they" Jason?

they are those that go against the PPA and NJCF's mindset. And anyone who interferes with Pineland Adventures ability to make money. IMO

Bog Mermaid

Nov 8, 2021
Folsom
It is funny that they are remediating off-road vehicle damage at what they now call the Whispering Pines area, when the state has ruined that area by trucking in tons of stones.

This was a really nice sandy Irick's Causeway intersection until it was ruined.

View attachment 18153
I’m not sure what sites are being remediated in these areas. I’ve been in those trails recently at “whispering Pines. Nice trails, not sure what damage they are referring to, guess I didn’t get back into those areas (not the time of year to go off trail). I agree, the stone is quite unpleasant. Quaker Bridge road has undergone extensive grading and there are borrow pits dug at intervals up and down to build up the road. That’s quite enough remediation for now, I think. Last time remediation was done down there, those brown barriers sprung up like weeds in some very odd places. I’ve been curious as to how those decisions were made, and concerned about what will happen now, even before the survey.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I’m not sure what sites are being remediated in these areas. I’ve been in those trails recently at “whispering Pines. Nice trails, not sure what damage they are referring to, guess I didn’t get back into those areas (not the time of year to go off trail). I agree, the stone is quite unpleasant. Quaker Bridge road has undergone extensive grading and there are borrow pits dug at intervals up and down to build up the road. That’s quite enough remediation for now, I think. Last time remediation was done down there, those brown barriers sprung up like weeds in some very odd places. I’ve been curious as to how those decisions were made, and concerned about what will happen now, even before the survey.
I expect to see more piles of branches around Quaker Bridge. The brush piles burnt up a bit in the forest fire.
2E17417F-4CFD-40C8-B546-0005923E2EA5.jpeg