Direction that the Site is Going In

Status
Not open for further replies.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
It would be cool if there was a "live stream" monitor of Batsto Lake. When I visit Germany for business I watch TV in the morning to see the "live streams" of geographic sites all across Germany, from nature in the mountains and the cities, too. German polka music plays the whole time. Something very cool about that experience. The weather readings were on the screen, too. All in "real time". All state subsidized, I'm sure. If you take up a collection for such an endeavor I'll pledge $100. LOL !

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
lol, a live stream would be nice... however I don't see that working at Batsto from a technical standpoint the way things are now. You can however see the weather from one remote Pine Barrens location if you'd like, in data form.

http://climate.rutgers.edu/njwxnet/station.php?s=317
This is named Oswego Lake, although the actual sensor is on the Rutgers cranberry research station, downstream from the lake. There are a few others scattered around, all of which show some interesting radiational cooling microclimates on certain nights.

FWIW, I remember that HotDog stand theme... ouch! A blast from the past. There were a few other very "bright" ones too.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Thanks. I went to the "Oswego Lake" site and there are photos of snow covered ground, so I guess they need to be updated!

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
No problem... that isn't a cam site however, its only weather data from the State "Mesonet", which is a collection of weather observation sites across the state (theres a bunch in the pines if you search). The pictures you see on there are for location reference only.

Heres another list of stations, from yet another site, which contains many stations people may not even know about- in some very remote and obscure sections of the pines:
http://raws.wrh.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/ro...1=31&month1=10&year1=2009&hour1=22&timeobs=12
Just adjust the time/date if you have to, and scroll down to Burlington, Ocean, Atlantic, Cumberland, Camden etc counties.

I don't mean to hijack Ben's thread, lol, so to put it back on track... Maybe some of those weather conditions could be reflected on the site somewhere. I know there is a weather hack for Vbulletin to display your local temperature.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's a widget on the front page of the site that displays the weather.

With the tighter integration between the forums and the CMS (front page) that will be coming in the next version of the forums software, it's likely that we'll start seeing things like weather show up in the forums proper.

If I actually lived in the Pines (I'm on the very, very, very northernmost fringe) I'd likely setup a webcam of some sort. If someone who lives in the pines and has a nice view would like to set one up, I would be happy to donate the space and bandwidth for it to run.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've started playing with the new version of the software. It's still in beta, and very, very rough around the edges. There's a long way to go before it's stable enough to upgrade to.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You don't want to install it and have to deal with all the problems. It is nice when things are running smoothly.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Just an update. I know I've been MIA for a while. Been working on things behind the scenes.

vBulletin 4 is close to being released. I'm in the process of working on some cosmetic things with it right now. I have a feeling it will go live sometime before the end of January. There's going to be some big changes, mostly because of the way the new software is architected. They shouldn't impact you guys, but what probably will change is that the site (front page, forums, etc.) will all come from www.njpinebarrns.com. forums.njpinebarrens.com will just redirect or mirror the same content as www.njpinebarrens.com. Still not sure on that yet.

But I felt that I needed to reach out since my posting has been few and far between. I assure you that things are still progressing here on my end and that the site is not being abandoned. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In my opinion there is no need for you to explain your lack of posting. We all know how it is at time when things get busy at home.

I appreciate the update. The new year will bring changes :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is just a typo. I was going to fix it but I will leave that for Ben.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Here's a teaser:

Attachments

• njpb-beta.jpg
    njpb-beta.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 412

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice Ben. Glad to see you have the random banner and I like the wide size. Did you make the icons?

Guy

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The new layout looks great, Ben. The icons look pretty cool, too. I like the fact that you kept the green base color. It seems to fit, somehow.

John-

Status
Not open for further replies.